Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delay Opening Folders caused by IE Resident

Default Delay Opening Folders caused by IE Resident

I recently upgraded to Spybot v1.6 and have noticed a new delay in Windows Explorer responses. I have tracked this delay to the Resident IE component of Spybot - which caused no problem in v1.5.2. I am seeing a 3 second delay when opening Windows Explorer or My Computer and this repeats on every change of folder - so flipping between folders becomes very annoying as each change has this 3 second pause.

I am still using Internet Explorer v6 and wondered if this might explain the problem I am seeing. I believe the upgrade to Internet Explorer v7 severed many of the links between the two Explorer programs. I am using XP-Pro SP3 on 3Ghz P4 with 1Gb Ram - so it usually responds pretty fast. I have eliminated all the other resident addons as a cause of this problem, and I can turn the delay on and off using the Resident IE switch option provided in the TeaTimer menu.

I would prefer to stay with IE6 as it seems to respond much faster than IE7 - plus I like the GUI better - but if the only solution is to upgrade to IE7 then maybe I might have to change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Smile

I am not sure about your problem, but IE 7 is much more secure and I definitely recommend that you upgrade

If you don't like the GUI, EnhanceIE has a collection of tweaks to make IE7 more like IE6

Upgrading to a higher browser version has nothing to do with your issue at all. The delay you speak of involves "Windows Explorer" and not "Internet Explorer" and is related to teatimer based on your reference to "Resident IE component of Spybot" as the cause.

I presume that you find if you "exit" teatimer then this problem goes away... right?

There is a known issue w/ teatimer in version 1.6 (and perhaps 1.5 not sure) where the process uses a high amount of CPU initially but is supposed to settle down but in some cases the high cpu rate continues w/ the teatimer process.

This could be a factor especially if you are relatively low on resources.

Here is a link discussing this issue w/ teatimer: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30994

I think you are confused. There are two resident elements available in Spybot. My issue is related to the "IE Resident" element not to "TeaTimer". As I stated I can switch the delay on and off using the IE Resident switch available in the TeaTimer right-click menu - exiting TeaTimer itself has no effect on the delay.

The "IE Resident" element consists of a BHO and a Browser Extension that load with Internet Explorer - however the two Explorer programs did share a large number of DLL's and settings prior to the introduction of IE7. As I understand it one of the major differences with IE7 is that it has severed many of the links between these two programs - mainly to improve security.

I am aware of the high cpu problem with TeaTimer and am already testing the beta version - which seems to work well.

Since posting I have been able to test Spybot v1.6 on a similar setup to mine but with IE7 loaded - and the Windows Explorer delay is not present. So I believe my theory may be correct - the IE Resident element of Spybot v1.6 does cause a delay problem in Windows Explorer if you are still using IE6.

Any thoughts from the Spybot development team?

Unhappy

Got it.. so your talking about what is called the resident SDHelper in the SB1.3 version that I use.

Great just another issue as far as upgrading beyond SB1.4 for some us WIN98 users (with issues) who have to stick with IE6 anyway.

It seems the more I find out the more there are computability issues between newer SB versions and older platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by caterwaul View Post
    It seems the more I find out the more there are computability issues between newer SB versions and older platforms
    Yep, it's a bit like the Model T Ford, as much as I like it, modern tyres just won't fit anymore, and it won't run on unleaded petrol.

Anyone have any technical comments on my original post?

The 3 second delay in opening folders in Windows Explorer and My Computer is most definitely due to the "Resident IE" protection module - aka "SD Helper" and only seems to happen if you are still running IE6.

I am running XP Pro and the delay happens with both SP2 and SP3.
    Installing IE7 does fix the problem - however I still prefer IE6 - but an upgrade seems the only fix apart from disabling the Spybot SD Helper module.

Default SD Helper Causes Windows Explorer Delay

UPDATE: I was mistaken - upgrading to IE7 has not fixed my issue. The test on another PC was obviously a red herring - on my main two computers the upgrade has not affected on the 3 second delay.

I note there are several other vague post about slowdowns caused by "SD Helper" (aka Resident IE) - I think I should have used this older term in my Thread Title.

Please read my previous posts above for full details of the problem - IE7 has now been eliminated as a fix. Any suggestions?

Question

When can we expect another version of The SD Helper as it is causing random crashes within IE 7 (Vista version) and the only way to stop the problems (in my case at any rate) is to turn of the SD Helper which isn't ideal I know but what else can I do?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I'm confirming the same problem, v1.6 of S&D with Resident IE causes windows explorer (the file browser) to delay about 3 seconds before showing the files in the folder. I've solved this problem by uninstalling spybot.