Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tea Timer popups

Question Tea Timer popups

Every time a registry change occurs, TeaTimer pops up a notification... which is great, but is there a way for me to tell it that on some approved ones or all approved ones, I do not want to see these alerts. And how can I change the currently approved ones from alerting if so?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

There is no way to keep those pop-up notifications from being issued if an actual registry change is made. However, you may be able to eliminate many of the pop-ups if you are getting at lot of them at system startup.

TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (primarily at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshot was taken. To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
    • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
      • TeaTimer closes.
      • TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
    • Restart TeaTimer:
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
      • Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Default Teatime popup trouble

When the popups come up for me a Get a little click box at the left that says remember this chance and just get a long blank bar on the right that all it seems to do is toggle the box on the left and seems like there is no way out.

I have updated to the latest version

Tom

tdstead:

I believe that codito was referring to the pop-up notifications that appear in the lower right-hand corner of the screen and disappear after a few seconds.

You appear to be talking about TeaTimer's registry change dialog that says "Spybot - Search & Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changed" and must be answered.

There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's pup-up dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". If you can't deal with the problem until it is fixed, you can disable TeaTimer as follows:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
    • Uncheck the following:
      • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

MD: could you expand on this "error with version 1.4" Teatimer? I just logged into Spybot forum to find a solution. I have W2K Pro where this is happening the icons for add/deny are blanked out and I cannot tell TeaTimer to do either. I did turn TeaTimer off but one of the registry changes may be the culprit on an event error 11 ( in control panel) that it denied. Oh if I click on the exit for the box it denies whatever it popped up for.
    I'm not into touching the registry but could you advise how to accept the registry change that TeaTimer denied? (it was on a software update).

Otherwise love this little program Spybot has.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pamspam
    MD: could you expand on this "error with version 1.4" Teatimer?
    I'll try to present a visual aid, but the limits of attaching thumbnails to this new forum are quite limited (I need 47 kb but the limit is 39.1 kb). So in the attachment I have attempted to depict what the old pop-up looked like (TeaTimer 1.3) and what the bottom of the new one (TeaTimer 1.4) actually looks like.

The buttons for "Allow change" and "Deny change" are not presented properly. As I indicated, if no portions of the Allow change" and "Deny change" are visible so that you can click on an edge of them:
    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    … you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change".
    I hope this helps explain the problem and the workaround for the problem.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2005-10-25 at 00:43.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Teatimer screen popups

I also have the same problem with teatimer doing this for me... you cannot see enough to tell which buttons you are clicking, you just have to guess.

I am running a Windows 2000 and a Windows XP machine, both do it.

Let me know if I can help with this also.

MNWinger:

Please look at the following graphic:
    http://forums.spybot.info/attachment...2&d=1130189700

On the top is the way the TeaTimer registry change dialog should look. Below it is the way the lower portion of the dialog looks on my system. On some monitors not even the top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing. Until the problem is corrected, you can:
    1. Stop using Teatimer by disabling it as follows:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck the following:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

2. Continue to use TeaTimer and answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change".

Note: The "Remember this decision" option is still visible and can still be used.

Additional notes about TeaTimer:
    • Note #1: If you cancel the dialog without answering either "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change will be denied (if that is an option).
    • Note #2: When ActiveX Distribution Units and Browser Helper Objects are being deleted (Change: Value deleted) there is no "Deny change" option. I believe that this is because by the time TeaTimer recognizes that the registry change has occurred the underlying code for either the ActiveX process or BHO has been removed. Therefore restoring the registry entry to its original value would not restore the functionality of what was deleted.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Was that THE solution?

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    I hope this helps explain the problem and the workaround for the problem.
    Um... what workaround? Pressing "A" or "D"?

That truly sucks. I have distributed spybot on at LEAST 50 machines this year. NONE of them were able to read the buttons.

Surely there is a better solution than for me to tell my users to "remember A or D - and tell your children to remember A or D and make sure that your guests all know to press A for Allow or D for disallow". This is insane.

I have never seen a system that COULD read the buttons. Surely someone has a better solution?

As a developer, I can see no reason why this fix should take more than 5 minutes. Isn't it a simple spacing problem with the buttons? This is a CRITICAL patch. If people cannot read the buttons, then they are dangerous. The entire power of Spybot is ruined because users must be psychic in order to use it.

It reminds me of the "vote for bush" voting machine skit (anyone see that.. I'm still laughing) where no matter which button you try to push, you end up voting for Bush.

Am I missing something basic here?

No solution? I agree this is critical. I've done the same kind of deployment and have angry clients.