Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: google redirect, spybot won't run, etc.

Default google redirect, spybot won't run, etc.

Hello! I have been having issues with my computer for the past month or so. I have had someone from spybot helping me on email, but the difference in time zones was making it difficult to get things going faster and I'm under some time pressure to fix this. Don't get me wrong, they were very helpful (and patient), but the time difference and my computer problems meant that I might not get more than one email question sent off and answered per day. I'm a novice so I'm sure I have more questions than the usual person asking for help! The person assisting me knows that I am now asking for help on the forum, so there won't be any duplication of procedures issues.

Basically, I've had the same "google redirecting" issues as other people. My McAfee no longer works and other things are having issues. Spybot will not run (I get the same "you may not have permissions to access" notice) so I cannot disable the TeaTimer which was requested before I post a HJT log. i have tried renaming Spybot without success.

We have tried Combo-fix, run a GMER log, and Rootalyzer and we did something with rootrepeal also. The next thing that was suggested was a repair installation but I haven't tried that yet.

Just let me know what you need me to do and I'll do it. I do not have a lot of experience with computers, but I am willing to learn and try whatever you think is necessary!

Thanks!

Hello wonder,

Please see this forum's FAQ "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Start a new topic providing the HJT log with a link back to this one, so that helpers are aware that you have run ComboFix etc.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hi Tashi,

My problem is that I can't acess Spybot to disable the teatimer so I can run a HJT report. Should I download HJT and run the report anyway?

Thanks!

I should add that I read "Before you Post" and that's why I didn't do the HJT. Under "Before you post a HJT lot" it says the TeaTimer needs to be disabled so that its protection does not interfere with fixes. I can't run Spybot so I can disable teatimer. That's why I didn't post the log.

Thanks!

Hi wonder,

Yes please post the log into a new topic, and provide a link back to this thread.

Cheers.

Hi Tashi,

I did as you suggested and posted a new one - although I'm not sure if I did it correctly!

Thanks!

Hello wonder,

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Yes please post the log into a new topic, and provide a link back to this thread.
    I don't see a log. http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...788#post331788

Can you not produce one at all?

When I ran the scan, it looked like it was scanning and then closed right in the middle. There was no log to see, etc. The program just closed.

Hi there,
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder View Post
    We have tried Combo-fix, run a GMER log, and Rootalyzer and we did something with rootrepeal also.
    For clarification purposes and to give volunteers the big picture, did those tools not run either when given instructions via email support?

Best regards.

Spybot and Runalyzer were apparently blocked by the malware. They wouldn't work even after renaming them. Both programs had the same result as HJT - they closed suddenly while running.

Rootalyzer worked and GMER worked. I emailed those logs to the person helping, so I'm sure they are in my sent folder if I need to find them.

We also did something early on called "rootrepeal". It created a report which I emailed also, but it apparently indicated that my computer was clean even though it wasn't. I still had the same issues and so we ran rootalyzer, etc.