Thread: Firefox crashes after spybot did something.

Unhappy Firefox crashes after spybot did something.

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me with my problem.

I went on youtube today, and for the first time ever (I've been using spybot with firefox for a couple of years now) I got a pop-up from spybot.
    I don't remember exactly what it asked me. But I think it asked me If I wanted to allow firefox to run something or if I wanted to disable it and block it forever from now on... Since I've never had such pop-up before, I figured it was a bad virus and allowed spybot SnD to block -whatever it was- it forever...
    Now, every time I try to go on youtube and click on a video, my whole firefox crashes!

And I cant find anywhere in the spybot options where I could go and undo what I did.

I did manage to find some log in spybot that could give you guys some help figuring out my problem. Here it is :
    Code:
    03/07/2010 11:25:17 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" (new data: "hex:95,00,00,") changed in System Startup user entry!
    05/07/2010 12:15:53 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "FlashPlayerUpdate" (new data: "C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe -p") added in System Startup user entry!
    05/07/2010 12:15:53 AM Encountered and terminated Vario.AntiVirus in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe!
    05/07/2010 12:15:57 AM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "Spybot - Search & Destroy" (new data: ""C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck") added in System Startup global entry!
    I dont know exactly which of these lines represent the action I took that broke firefox, but its one of them for sure, since its the only thing i did on that day.

Also I could give you the crash message that Firefox gives me when It crashes, if it would help anyone?

Please help me! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire6 View Post
    Also I could give you the crash message that Firefox gives me when It crashes, if it would help anyone?
    That might be helpful,if you'd like to post it.

When you open task manager,is plugin-container.exe running?

05/07/2010 12:15:57 AM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "Spybot - Search & Destroy" (new data: ""C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck") added in System Startup global entry!
    Spybot ran a scan the next time you started your computer?Did it find anything?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    That might be helpful,if you'd like to post it.
    Well I cannot anymore because I reinstalled firefox and that solved whatever the problem was.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Spybot ran a scan the next time you started your computer?Did it find anything?
    I think it did find 7 entry of the same spyware, I don't remember what it was.

I reinstalled firefox and it solved the problem. Thanks you very much for trying to help.

You're welcome,glad reinstalling Firefox fixed the problem.

Lightbulb

plugin-container.exe is required for the latest version of Firefox to run; it hosts all plugin content, like Flash, as used in YouTube videos

Yes,if you read the first couple of lines in the release notes for the 3.6.4 version,under What's New In Firefox 3.6.4,it explains,more or less,what plugin-container.exe does.
    https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefo...4/releasenotes
    Though,if it's causing problems,it can be disabled within Firefox,or configured as needed,though if there are no problems,it is best left alone,in my opinion:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...f=38&t=1930253

If Teatimer did remove plugin-container.exe(and I'm not 100% sure that's what happened,which is why I asked them to see if it was there originally),I'd assume plugin-container.exe was restored when Foxfire6 reinstalled Firefox,since they haven't had any more problems.