Thread: Wild Tangent Spyware

Default Wild Tangent Spyware

I read about Wild Tangent here on Safer Networking Forum but it came bundled by Gateway on my original Windows 7 install and I have a couple of questions.

1. Why is it not detected by Spybot S&D anymore?
    2. When I try to uninstall it, I am given a warning msg saying it's a Windows component...are you sure you want to uninstall..something about do not uninstall windows components unless you are sure you know what you are doing(Revo Uninstaller msg)

Thanks

Hello Jula9600,

First topic which was posted in the malware forum: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=63672

You appear to experience a lot of issues with the computer, have you considered taking the machine to a local technician?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

This question was actually regarding Wild Tangent applications... not malware assistance at all or I'd have posted this question there. The info I read here on the forum is from 4 years ago. I've had my pc for just over 2 years and since spybot S&D has never detected it on my pc, I was wondering if it was removed from the threat list prior to me buying it (maybe WT fixed their mess, or Windows updates have patched whatever vulnerability existed, etc.)?
    I assume it's considered a "windows component" because it was bundled with my original OS, and not downloaded by me. I'm just looking for clarification.
    As for taking my pc to a technician, I very well may have to. But much like everyone seeking help here, hopefully, I can avoid that.

Hello Jula9600,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jula9600 View Post
    I read about Wild Tangent here on Safer Networking Forum but it came bundled by Gateway on my original Windows 7 install and I have a couple of questions.

1. Why is it not detected by Spybot S&D anymore?
    2. When I try to uninstall it, I am given a warning msg saying it's a Windows component...are you sure you want to uninstall..something about do not uninstall windows components unless you are sure you know what you are doing(Revo Uninstaller msg)
    Wild Tangent was classified by Spybot as PUPS (potentially unwanted program), not as spyware.

Last discussion appears to be this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2313&page=3

Some applications installed on your computer may use Wild Tangent and if you try to remove the program will throw errors like the one you described.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WildTangent

Hope that helps.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default wild tangent

i just found that in the "used without permission" section of safety-tracking protection-manage add=ons. Is it ok to disable it?