PDA

View Full Version : Why do computer folders show up on a scan?

impcon
2006-12-28, 20:26
:red: When I do a Spybot scan, I suddenly am finding that I am getting folders and stuff off my computer showing in the scan results. The following are in red:
Avenue A,Inc
Casalemedia
doubleclick
errorsafe
fastclick
mediaplex
zedo

The following are in green:
Internet Explorer
Cache
Common Dialogues
Cookie
Log
MS Direct3D
MS DirectDraw
MS DirectInput
MS Media Player
MS Office 9.0 [Word]
MS Regedit
MS Search Assistant
RealOne Player (aka Real Player 6.0)
Windows Explorer
Windows Media SDK
Windows.OpenWith
WinZip

While I really am sick and tired of the items in red coming up and wish that I could permanently be rid of them, I doubt that that is possible somehow. There really should be laws against people being able to slip stuff onto personal computers for tracking purposes - or any purposes for that matter. But what has really got me concerned is why are the folders from my computer ( the ones in green ) showing up on scans suddenly? Have I picked up a trojan or a worm? And if so, how do I get rid of it and prevent this from happening again. Thanks in advance for your help and you all have a great New year! Gary

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-29, 07:09
The following items are Tracking Cookies:
Avenue A, Inc.
CasaleMedia
DoubleClick
FastClick
MediaPlex
Zedo
Tracking Cookies are cookies stored on your computer by a 3rd party not directly related to the web site you're currently viewing. Third party cookies can be blocked within your browser. For the method to block third party cookies in the various browsers, see the following article:
Why do other anti-spyware applications detect so many more tracking cookies?
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=faq&detail=37
ErrorSave is listed as both a Hijacker and Malware. There are two things that you can try to get rid of the things that Spybot-S&D is having difficulty removing:
Try to run it the next time you reboot.
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings > look for "System start" (located half way down the page).
Check the option: "Run program once at next system startup".
Reboot the system.
Run it in Safe mode.
Reboot your system in Safe mode and run Spybot-S&D.
If Spybot-S&D still fails to remove the problems you can request assistance in the Malware Removal forum.

Follow the instructions here:
"BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps and scanning with SPYBOT-S&D
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
Then post in the following forum:
Malware Removal
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Note: In the future, when reporting problems concerning Spybot detections it is helpful if you include the actual detections as well as the Spybot version that you are running and the update level. That can be accomplished very simply by:
Running a scan.
When the scan completes, right clicking on the results list, selecting "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results into your post.