PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer 1.5 HIGH CPU usage

Hambone
2006-12-29, 22:38
Ok, first a little detail on the systems involved in this problem:

System 1: Sager 4760 Laptop, P4 2.8GHz, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HD
System 2: Dell Dimension 2400, P4 2.8GHz, 512Mb RAM, 80Gb HD

Both systems run WinXP Pro SP2 with all available updates (including IE7). On the laptop, I use Avast! antivirus and Spybot S&D, while on the desktop I have Trend Micro's OfficeScan and Spybot S&D. Both systems are configured similarly from a software and settings standpoint - Spybot is configured identically between the two machines. Both machines have about the same amount of free disk space.

Now, for the problem: On the Dell, a full scan in Spybot takes 7-10 minutes depending on the day. On the laptop however, a full scan takes 30-35 minutes, sometimes as much as 45 minutes. That part I can live with, even if it kinda sucks...
The big issue though is that Teatimer is using just way too much CPU on the laptop. After booting the system and logging in, it uses 80-100% CPU for the first 10-15 minutes, then settles down to an "idle" rate of 11-15%, depending on other system activity. Starting IE causes it to spike back to 100% for anywhere from 30 seconds to five minutes (during which time IE is totally unresponsive).
I should note at this point that both systems are kept meticulously clean, with full AV- and AS-scans run at least weekly, and I also occasionally scan using Trend's HouseCall site as well. Neither machine has had an infection of any sort, and I always maintain safe browsing habits.
I really don't want to have to disable Teatimer on the laptop, but it's starting to look like I may have to in order to keep it useable - at this point, when Teatimer goes on one of its binges, the system becomes nearly unusable until it chokes back, and even then it's putting a good drag on the system. Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting steps I can take to get it back in line? Many thanks in advance!

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-30, 00:07
As a matter of curiosity, what is the "CPU Time" used by TeaTimer on your two systems during the initialization of TeaTimer and is there a significant difference between the "CPU Time" used on the two systems?

I personally have noticed that TeaTimer does take a significant amount of "CPU Time" while initializing but that its high CPU utilization (100%) is relatively short lived. The "CPU Time" during the initialization of TeaTimer appears to take 34 CPU seconds on my Pentium 4 - 2.40GHz CPU with 512 MB of RAM.

Hambone
2007-01-03, 06:22
As I write this, my System Idle thread has exactly 5 hours. Next highest is TeaTimer at 27 minutes, followed by explorer.exe at 2 minutes. I've been mostly working remotely on a different machine through RDP, with some minor browsing also, mostly at GMail, Wikipedia and IMDB.

Also, allow me to apologize if the tone of my original post was a little hostile... after reading it again it comes across a lot grumpier than I meant it to :)