PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Pop Ups in IE7

offog
2006-12-31, 20:42
Hope this post isn't too long. I've tried a number of things before seeing your "What to Do Before Posting" list.

Daughter has recently started having problems with Pop Up windows appearing in IE7. They appear to be spyware related as the pop up generally relates to whatever the browser is doing (e.g. if she is looking at music on say play.com then the pop up will relate to MP3's or Music on E-bay or similar). It is really very annoying as they evade the pop up blocker (which is set to high).

System is an ACER laptop running XP Home with Service Pack 2 and patched to latest updates. Browser is IE7.

If it is any help the popup windows have a tilde ( ~ ) either side of the name in the browser menu bar. The popup is windowed with no tool bars menus, etc. and runs the full width of the screen but only about a quarter height. You have to drag down the bottom of the window to read the message. I have added some of the sites to the restricted zone but the pop up still appear however the contents of the window displays the normal IE7 page not found message.

So far I have done the following:

Windows Defender has been installed from day 1 of owning the machine (about 4 months - pop-ups have only appeared over the last week or two) and reports no problems.

Updated AVG to 7.5 from 7.1 and updated to latest virus definitions - Done a complete system scan with nothing found.

Installed Spybot, updated to latest definitions and did a complete scan (with windows in normal mode) A number of items were found (mainly tracking cookies) which were removed. Did another scan and Spybot reported no problems. - Pop up problem persisted.

Installed AdAware SE, updated to latest definitions and scanned system again (with XP in normal mode). It found a couple of things missed by Spybot and I quarantined them. Did another scan with adaware - nothing found.

Pop-ups still happening so rebooted in safe mode and did another scan with Spybot - found a couple of tracking cookies (probably from the previous forays on to the web to see if pop ups were still happening) and deleted them.

Rebooted back to normal mode - pop ups still occuring. One of them mentioned ameana when I checked the properties for the pop-up - so I did a google search on this. It came up with a very nasty trojan (which got me really worried) and a link to removing it (Vundofix). Downloaded that - it found nothing.

At the same time I updated AVG to 7.5. I also downloaded their Spyware Scanner. I installed this and did a complete scan with that.

Deleted the items in the temp folder in docs and settings local. Installed CCleaner and cleared out internet folders, registry, windows temp folder.

Still pop ups.

Went to Trend home page and used their Housecall on line scanner to scan complete system. Found a couple of "grayware" items which I told it to delete and then did another re-scan - nothing found and still pop ups.

Have uninstalled windows messenger and another couple of programs she recently updated/installed. Have disabled all browser addons, cleared all the cookies, passwords, history, etc. Disabled Java, Disabled Scripting. Many websites coming up with errors on page because of all the disabled bits and still getting pop-ups (although some of the window contents are are blank, probably due to the scripting restrictions).

As this didn't stop the problem I have reset the browser to default security settings and re-enabled Addons and Java.

Have run HijackThis on the Laptop.

Log is below.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 16:43:02, on 31/12/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePerformance\MemCheck.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
D:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\CLML_NTService\CLMLServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\CLML_NTService\CLMLService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\eRAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield\AzMixerSel.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\PCMService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePresentation\ePresentation.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\eDSloader.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePower_DMC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\LAUNCH~1\QtZgAcer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Acer\OrbiCam\CameraAssistant.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ElkCtrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxext.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\FilmLoop Player\FilmLoop.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
D:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com\Mobipocket Reader\readernotify.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\Acer.Empowering.Framework.Launcher.exe
D:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BlueSoleil.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0\program\soffice.BIN
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
D:\Downloads\Anti-Spyware\HiJack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: XBTBPos00 Class - {B16F8052-1A10-4967-9F98-1A21ECC782F2} - C:\PROGRA~1\WORDRE~1\tbu31CC\WORDRE~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Acer eDataSecurity Management - {5CBE3B7C-1E47-477e-A7DD-396DB0476E29} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\eDStoolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LaunchApp] Alaunch
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AzMixerSel] C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield\AzMixerSel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acer ePresentation HPD] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePresentation\ePresentation.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ntiMUI] C:\Program Files\NewTech Infosystems\NTI CD & DVD-Maker 7\ntiMUI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eDataSecurity Loader] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\eDSloader.exe 1
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ePower_DMC] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePower_DMC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Boot] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\Boot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LManager] C:\PROGRA~1\LAUNCH~1\QtZgAcer.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eRecoveryService] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\eRAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCameraAssistant] C:\Program Files\Acer\OrbiCam\CameraAssistant.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideo[inspector]] C:\Program Files\Acer\OrbiCam\InstallHelper.exe /inspect
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCameraService(E)] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ElkCtrl.exe /automation
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ImageItEncrypt] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ImageItEncrypt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FilmLoop] "C:\Program Files\FilmLoop Player\FilmLoop.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Mobipocket Reader Notifications] D:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com\Mobipocket Reader\readernotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 2.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acer Empowering Technology.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: BlueSoleil.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://bananaspoo.spaces.live.com//PhotoUpload/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {55027008-315F-4F45-BBC3-8BE119764741} (Slide Image Uploader Control) - http://www.slide.com/uploader/SlideImageUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1156003040562
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1167405523171
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2005111401/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Memory Check Service (AcerMemUsageCheckService) - Acer Inc. - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePerformance\MemCheck.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: BlueSoleil Hid Service - Unknown owner - D:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Background Capture Service (CBCS) (CLCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Task Scheduler (CTS) (CLSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Media Library Service - Cyberlink - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\CLML_NTService\CLMLServer.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech - c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

pskelley
2007-01-02, 15:08
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the feedback. I did get a litle lost, so I may request information you have already given. I see programs in the HJT log I don't know, but they do not look like malware? Let's proceed like this.

1) I am willing to help you discover the source of the problem if the issue is not already resolved.

2) I understand what you have done so far (somewhat) but would like you to review this information:
"BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
Choose and run one of the free online scans and save the scan results.

3) we may be dealing with a rootkit, some information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit
Word has it one is out with no outward signs, but symptoms you are describing. Please run BlackLight like this:
Please download F-Secure BlackLight Beta:
https://europe.f-secure.com/exclude/blacklight/index.shtml

Save it to its own folder in the Desktop
Double-click blbeta.exe to run the program
Click : Scan
A list of all items found is created

The list is in the BlackLight folder on the Desktop, and named fsbl.xxxxxxx.log (xxxxxxx are numbers).

Please provide the log created by BlackLight in your next reply.

4) You have AVG Anti-Spyware onboard, please use the directions in the follow link, make sure you run it in safe mode, then save the results.
http://forums.security-central.us/showthread.php?t=3165

5) I see no evidence of it, but this may be a Smitfraud infection, follow these instructions and only use the this:
Search:
Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select 1 and hit Enter to create a report of the infected files. The report can be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

6) One last check, return to here: D:\Downloads\Anti-Spyware\HiJack This\HijackThis.exe. Point your mouse at HijackThis.exe and right click, then choose "rename". Call it offog.exe or whatever you wish. After a reboot, HJT may show the vundo trojan if it is there?

let's recap, If you have not resolved your issues, make sure you restart the computer and post,
the results of the AV scan as reguired in the "BEFORE you POST" instructions, the log created by Blacklight, the safe mode scan results from AVG Anti-Spyware, the C:\rapport.txt from Smitfraudfix "Search". and a new HJT log. Please add any comments you think will help. If you have questions, please post them. If you have resolved your issues, I would appreciate a quick post letting me know so I can close the topic.

Thanks

offog
2007-01-02, 19:39
Hi

Many thanks for your offer of help - the problem is still there.

I am following your instructions but could you please clarify item 5. It appears you want me to use a tool to search for Smitfraud but you don't say which one.

Thanks.

offog
2007-01-02, 19:52
Sorry - first day back at work - it's been a long day. I have put smitfraudfix.exe into google and found it.

pskelley
2007-01-02, 22:16
I am following your instructions but could you please clarify item 5. It appears you want me to use a tool to search for Smitfraud but you don't say which one.
I apologize here is the link to Smifraudfix:
http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php
Make sure to use only the "Search" unless you can see that the infection is "Found!". There have been issues with the Desktop when the "Clean" function was run on an uninfected computer.

Thanks

offog
2007-01-02, 23:18
Hi

Only just seen your reply - not sure if Smitfraud infection was found - I've attached the report. It looks like your suppositon of the RootKit may be correct - I haven't cleaned this yet as I didn't want to jump the gun.

1) On Line Scan using E Trust Gave no Infection Found

2) Blacklight Report as follows:

01/02/07 20:05:09 [Info]: BlackLight Engine 1.0.55 initialized
01/02/07 20:05:09 [Info]: OS: 5.1 build 2600 (Service Pack 2)
01/02/07 20:05:09 [Note]: 7019 4
01/02/07 20:05:09 [Note]: 7005 0
01/02/07 20:05:24 [Note]: 7006 0
01/02/07 20:05:24 [Note]: 7011 1660
01/02/07 20:05:25 [Note]: 7026 0
01/02/07 20:05:25 [Note]: 7026 0
01/02/07 20:05:25 [Note]: 7024 3
01/02/07 20:05:25 [Info]: Hidden process: C:\windows\system32\cdzfbfkgbw.exe
01/02/07 20:05:39 [Note]: FSRAW library version 1.7.1021
01/02/07 20:06:13 [Info]: Hidden file: c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CDZFBF~1.EXE
01/02/07 20:06:13 [Info]: Hidden file: c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CDZFBF~1.DAT
01/02/07 20:06:14 [Info]: Hidden file: c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CDZFBF~2.DAT
01/02/07 20:06:14 [Info]: Hidden file: c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CDZFBF~3.DAT
01/02/07 20:06:25 [Note]: 2000 1012
01/02/07 20:07:27 [Note]: 7007 0

Do you want me to run Blacklight again and clean this or do you have an alternative method?

3) AVG Safe Mode Scan Below:

---------------------------------------------------------
AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created at: 21:41:35 02/01/2007

+ Scan result:

C:\Program Files\WordReferenceEnFr\wordreferenceEnFr.dll -> Adware.Softomate : Ignored.

::Report end

Daughter wants to ignore this as she uses the program - is it relatively safe to keep?

4) Smitfraud Report Below

SmitFraudFix v2.132

Scan done at 21:45:08.87, 02/01/2007
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Jenni\Desktop\Smitfraud Fix\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is FAT32
Fix run in safe mode

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\Web

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system32

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Documents and Settings\Jenni

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Documents and Settings\Jenni\Application Data

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Start Menu

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\DOCUME~1\JENNI\FAVORI~1

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Desktop

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Program Files

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Corrupted keys

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Desktop Components

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\0]
"Source"="About:Home"
"SubscribedURL"="About:Home"
"FriendlyName"="My Current Home Page"

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Sharedtaskscheduler
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» AppInit_DLLs

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"=""

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Winlogon.System

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"System"=""

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» pe386-msguard-lzx32

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Scanning wininet.dll infection

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» End

I'm not sure what the above means - I have run the search only and not tried to fix anything. Also I ran it in Safe mode wasn't sure whether or not you wanted normal or safe on this one.

5) Finally the latest HijackThis report (run with the name changed)

Scan saved at 21:55:27, on 02/01/2007

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
D:\PROGRA~1\Nokia\NOKIAP~1\LAUNCH~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\Services\ServiceLayer.exe
D:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Nokia\MPAPI\MPAPI3s.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
D:\Downloads\Anti-Spyware\HiJack This\offog.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: XBTBPos00 Class - {B16F8052-1A10-4967-9F98-1A21ECC782F2} - C:\PROGRA~1\WORDRE~1\tbu31CC\WORDRE~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Acer eDataSecurity Management - {5CBE3B7C-1E47-477e-A7DD-396DB0476E29} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\eDStoolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AzMixerSel] C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield\AzMixerSel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acer ePresentation HPD] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePresentation\ePresentation.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ntiMUI] C:\Program Files\NewTech Infosystems\NTI CD & DVD-Maker 7\ntiMUI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eDataSecurity Loader] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\eDSloader.exe 1
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ePower_DMC] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePower_DMC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eRecoveryService] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\eRAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCameraAssistant] C:\Program Files\Acer\OrbiCam\CameraAssistant.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideo[inspector]] C:\Program Files\Acer\OrbiCam\InstallHelper.exe /inspect
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCameraService(E)] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ElkCtrl.exe /automation
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FilmLoop] "C:\Program Files\FilmLoop Player\FilmLoop.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCSuiteTrayApplication] D:\PROGRA~1\Nokia\NOKIAP~1\LAUNCH~1.EXE -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Mobipocket Reader Notifications] D:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com\Mobipocket Reader\readernotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PcSync] D:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe /NoDialog
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 2.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://bananaspoo.spaces.live.com//PhotoUpload/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {55027008-315F-4F45-BBC3-8BE119764741} (Slide Image Uploader Control) - http://www.slide.com/uploader/SlideImageUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1156003040562
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1167405523171
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2005111401/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Memory Check Service (AcerMemUsageCheckService) - Acer Inc. - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePerformance\MemCheck.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: BlueSoleil Hid Service - Unknown owner - D:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Background Capture Service (CBCS) (CLCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Task Scheduler (CTS) (CLSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Media Library Service - Cyberlink - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\CLML_NTService\CLMLServer.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech - c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\Services\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

Many Thanks for efforts so far - please advise how you wish me to proceed.

pskelley
2007-01-02, 23:49
Thanks for returning your information and your feedback. I will use your numbers in an attempt to stay organized.

1) Good news and bad. Means the tool does not see a rootkit infection when it is present.

2) You can see the infection, not every item is bad. The hidden stuff is all part of the infection. I am going to post a link to a good Blacklight tutorial and would appreciate it if you would take the time to read it so you will be sure how to proceed. I will post the bad items you will rename after the link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial124.html

01/02/07 20:05:25 [Info]: Hidden process: C:\windows\system32\cdzfbfkgbw.exe
01/02/07 20:06:13 [Info]: Hidden file: c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CDZFBF~1.EXE
01/02/07 20:06:13 [Info]: Hidden file: c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CDZFBF~1.DAT
01/02/07 20:06:14 [Info]: Hidden file: c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CDZFBF~2.DAT
01/02/07 20:06:14 [Info]: Hidden file: c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CDZFBF~3.DAT

Be careful, than after you finish run this rootkit tool and let me know the resullts:

* Click here to download AVG Anti Rootkit and save it to your desktop.
http://beta.grisoft.cz/beta/betarep.files/antirootkit/AVG_AntiRootkit_1.0.0.13.exe
Double-click on the AVG_AntiRootkit_1.0.0.13.exe file to run it.
Click "I Agree" to agree to the EULA.
By default it will install to "G:\Program Files\GRISOFT\AVG Anti-Rootkit Beta".
Click "Next" to begin the installation then click "Install".
It will then ask you to reboot now to finish the installation.
Click "Finish" and your computer will reboot.
After it reboots, double-click on the AVG Anti-Rootkit Beta shortcut that is now on your desktop.
Click on the "Perform in-depth search" button to begin the scan.
The scan will take a while so be patient and let it complete.
When the scan is finished, click the "Save result to file" button.
Save the scan results to your desktop then come back here to copy and paste the results in your next reply to this thread.

3) C:\Program Files\WordReferenceEnFr\wordreferenceEnFr.dll -> Adware.Softomate : Ignored.
I suggest you remove that item. If you will let me know what your daughter needs, I will try to find a safe alternative.

4) Smitfraudfix "Search" is clean. You can delete that tool.

5) HJT log, you can remove this item if you wish:
it is not a problem.

This item is probably not bad, but my scanners are saying it is. Would you use one you more of these free online scans to be sure it is not a problem:
http://virusscan.jotti.org/
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

The rest of the HJT log looks fine. You may rename HJT.exe if you wish.
Once you finish with Blacklight and run the other Rootkit scan, post the results of that scan and a last HJT log. Let me know how the computer is running at that point.

Thanks

offog
2007-01-03, 01:59
Thanks for all your help. Things are looking better. Have tried a dozen or so websites without any problems so far. Daughter is using laptop now as a further check.

1) Have used Blacklight to Rename The Files. Was a bit confused that I could only find 4 files after renaming 5 then it dawned on me one was a process (I said it had been a long day).

2) AVG Anti Root Showed Nothing Found

3) The Softomate Adware that was found is a toolbar for Internet Explorer. It is a search assistant for English/French and French/English Translations (she is studying French as part of a degree course). She thinks she can live without the toolbar as she can go straight to the website but it is more convenient to use the Toolbar.

4) Have Removed the item you suggested from the HJT log.

5) Have performed two online scans on the Boot.exe file and they have found no problem (I think it is part of the ACER utilities - it is an Acer Laptop and looking at the date of the file it looks like it was created when we first set up the laptop)

6) As requested latest Hijack this log:

Scan saved at 00:36:33, on 03/01/2007

Running processes:
D:\PROGRA~1\Nokia\NOKIAP~1\LAUNCH~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\Services\ServiceLayer.exe
D:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Nokia\MPAPI\MPAPI3s.exe
D:\Downloads\Anti-Spyware\HiJack This\HjackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cdzfbfkgbw] c:\windows\system32\cdzfbfkgbw.exe cdzfbfkgbw
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCSuiteTrayApplication] D:\PROGRA~1\Nokia\NOKIAP~1\LAUNCH~1.EXE -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PcSync] D:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe /NoDialog
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\Services\ServiceLayer.exe

7) I haven't actually removed the renamed files from Blacklight - should I do this now?

8) Finally should she be worried about things like her bank account details and online passwords? She has used her bank account once since the infection started (we hadn't realised it was an infection at that point)

Many, many thanks for your help. I'd literally spent a full 24hours trying to sort the problem.

Daughter has been on the PC for about 20mins and still no pop ups:)

pskelley
2007-01-03, 13:30
Thanks for the feedback: 5) I was sure that item was safe also, but my scanner kept saying to check it. the boot.exe can be a nasty if you Google it but the hackers call their junk what they want...lol.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 00:36:33, on 03/01/2007
This looks like http://www.wordreference.com/english/Toolbar.asp
Is it working ok since we removed that other item? Not sure if it associated.

How to make files and folders visible:
Click Start > Open My Computer.
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.
Click OK.

Tutorial for ATF-Cleaner:
http://forums.security-central.us/showthread.php?t=1925

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune
http://www.atribune.org/content/view/25/2/
Save it to your Desktop. We will use this later.

Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cdzfbfkgbw] c:\windows\system32\cdzfbfkgbw.exe cdzfbfkgbw

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

RIGHT Click on Start then click on Explore. Locate and delete these items:

c:\windows\system32\cdzfbfkgbw.exe <<< delete that file (rk)

Run ATF Cleaner
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Click Select All found at the bottom of the list.
Click the Empty Selected button.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Restart the computer so the changes can take effect, then let's clean the System Restore files like this:
System Restore does not know the good files from the bad. In case bad stuff has gotten into your System Restore files, follow the instructions in this link to get clean System Restore files. Turn it off, reboot then turn it back on:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039?Open&src=sec_doc_nam

That should do it, how is the computer running now? You may remove the tools you downloaded for the cleanup. You may keep ATF-Cleaner if you wish.

AVG Anti-Spyware is a good program but it does use some resources. Once the trial is over you can update and use the scanner for as long as you wish, but unless you purchase it you should turn it off completely so it does not run unless you start it manually.

Here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay clean and safe online:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html
http://cybercoyote.org/security/not-admin.shtml

Thanks...Phil
Safer Networking Forums
http://www.spybot.info/en/donate/index.html
If you are reading this information...thank a teacher,
If you are reading it in English...thank a soldier.

offog
2007-01-03, 20:34
Sorry have been out at work so I've only just seen your post.

Daughter has been using the PC most of the day and has no problems. In fact she is very pleased not only have the pop-ups gone but some software that wouldn't install before the system was cleaned has now installed. (Don't worry this is Sony Software for her new MP3 player - although your link to the article on Root Kits doesn't inspire confidence with Sony).

The requested file has been deleted (I think)there were 4 files begining with CDZFB - 3 named CDZFB~1.dat.ren and one that was CDZFB~1.exe.ren. These were the files renamed by Blacklight. I have deleted all of them and removed the Process Run entry using HijackThis.

Have just followed your last few instructions (I thought I'd cleared a lot out with CCleaner but ATF cleared 400MB out from somewhere).

System Restore has also been turned off and turned back on.

Daughter has to go back to France next week to finish her 3rd year at Uni. I'll turn off the AVG Anti-Spyware before she goes. She doesn't have access to the internet there so hopefully she won't need it (not on the laptop ).

Again many thanks for your help.

tashi
2007-01-09, 18:43
This topic has been closed to prevent others with similar issues posting in it.
If you need it re-opened please send me or your helper a private message (pm) and provide a link to the thread.

Applies only to the original topic starter.