PDA

View Full Version : Spybot locking up when "fixing" threats

DLeander
2007-01-01, 21:20
I can scan and find threats fine, but when I go to "Fix" them, it asks me if I want to delete them, I say yes, then it begins deleting them and locks up Spybot. (I have to "End task" to free it up.) I have a Pentium II 450 cpu, 200 mb of RAM, Windows 98se. I loaded Windows XP on a fresh hard drive in the same computer, booted to it, downloaded Spybot 1.4, ran Spybot, and it did the exact same thing. So it must be something with my hardware. Any ideas?

Thanks, D

spybotsandra
2007-01-01, 21:26
Hello,

Please delete the contents of your Windows temp folder and try it again: For that purpose, please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Tools" --> "Secure Shredder" from the navigation bar on the left. There select "Add files from temp folder" from the drop down menu on the top (hit the small arrow next to templates). Then "Chop it away!"

You can also try the following:
- select "Settings" --> "Settings" in the navigation bar on the left and untick the checkbox in front of "display confirmation dialogs"
- exit Spybot-S&D so the settings are saved
- run Spybot-S&D and "Check for problems" again

Expect it to run slowly, it appears to hang. Please be patient - it should clear with the problems fixed.

If it still doesn't work please select "Settings" --> "Settings" from the toolbar on the left. In the section "Main settings" please untick the checkbox in front of "Create system restore point when fixing spyware/usage tracks".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

britt614
2007-01-01, 21:43
this is the same exact problem i am having.
however, im about the farthest thing from an expert at operating a computer...
how do you delete the contents of the windows temp folder?
:sad: im a little slow.

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-01, 22:19
britt614:

Try the following:
Click Start > click Run > type %temp% > then click OK.
In the Windows Explorer window that appears, delete the contents of this Temp folder.

Note: Any file that cannot be deleted is probably being used. Make sure that you have closed all applications that were running. Then, try to delete the contents of this folder again. If you cannot delete a specific file, delete all the files that you can delete.