PDA

View Full Version : Rebooting during scan - heatsink = clean

lllbob
2007-01-05, 10:06
I used spybot for years, and since last year, shortly after a few updates of version 1.4, my pc began to reboot during the scan... around the 7400 scanning mark. and This pc does not reboot when doing anything else.
It will run for weeks/or months.

What else could be causing the problem? The heatsink is clean !
I have adaware installed as well, and it doesn't reboot the pc.
and my pc should be free of malware. or none that I can see anyway.
Perhapse it's some other normal exe causing spybot to reboot the pc.

Running legit Windows XP Home - 2.7GHZ

All I know, is that I miss scanning with spybot.
Everything else works. updating, tools, startup info...
But scanning = . . . .6700. . .7600. . . Boom Reboot!

I S the older 1.3 version able to get updates?

thanks for any help...

spybotsandra
2007-01-05, 10:11
Hello,

Spybot is quite CPU intensive. It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.

The problem can happen in both desktops and laptops, although the problem is more prevalent in laptops.

If you have a laptop with one of the one of the following processors:

- Mobile Pentium III-M
- Mobile Pentium 4-M
- Mobile Pentium 4
- Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
- Mobile AMD

Take a look at following suggestion by 100mill:

- Notebook CPU running hot during Spybot scan
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1816

If you have a desktop consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not too dusty. Doubt that this can be a problem, read the following threads:
- Spybot causes shut down
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2163
- PC crashes while Spybot is running
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2230

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

lllbob
2007-01-06, 04:49
Yep, I read that post several times when searching for the answer.
Yep, that post does not help me at all. lol The pc is not hot. l o l

My desktop pc's heatsink is clean... and The fan is running... and the fan on the power supply is running, and the fan in my living room to ... l o l

If it were a heat realated problem or bad capacitor problems, The pc would shutoff and restart just by the pc running for a while , or when playing games. This pc does not restart otherwise. Only when scanning with spybot. So my guess would be that it's spybot. or perhapse some other application is causing spybot to malfunction.

When I have more time, I will install spybot 1.2 in another directory and see if it still restarts the pc during a scan. Then I shall see if it's something else, cause I know all the other spybots worked as did v1.4 at one time or another.
Can't seem to find the 1.3 version on my pc.

spybotsandra
2007-01-08, 10:42
Hello,

The version 1.2. won't work, because there are no updates for this version at all.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot