PDA

View Full Version : LexPPS.exe is False Positive as CoolWWWSearch.Service

JimPivonka
2007-01-09, 07:50
:oops: While LexPPS.exe is not a necessary autorun program, unless desired to support bidirectional printing over a network, it is a valid application program supporting Lexmark printers.

I think that it should NOT be identified as CoolWWWSearch.Service by Spybot S&D.

CoolWWWSearch.Service: Autorun settings (LexPPS.exe) (Registry value, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\LexPPS.exe

However, I am grateful to Spybot S&D for giving me the specific registry key that has been starting LexPPS.exe. I am letting Spybot S&D "fix" this, to eliminate that autorun.

Buster
2007-01-09, 08:49
Hello Jim,

please send the "LexPPS.exe" file attached to an email to detections#spybot.info (replace # with @) for further analysis. Thanks in advance!

buster

JimPivonka
2007-01-09, 09:28
The file has been sent as requested. The Properties > Comments section included this: "MarkVision for Windows '95 New P2P Server (32-bit)"
Lexmark International, Inc.
ver. 8.29

siari
2007-05-28, 20:06
How did LexPPS.exe get on your machine unless you installed the application? Supposing you removed it and, somehow Lex PPS remained on your computer why blaming S&D?

tashi
2007-05-28, 20:42
How did LexPPS.exe get on your machine unless you installed the application? Supposing you removed it and, somehow Lex PPS remained on your computer why blaming S&D?

JimPivonka was reporting a possible false positive which is the purpose of this sub-forum, he was not blaming anyone. ;)