PDA

View Full Version : Can no longer get Windows updates :(

Canna_W
2007-01-16, 12:31
I have been really stupid, and I am really ignorant. My apologies for the following mess. I would be incredibly grateful for a bit of advice...

A while back I noticed that when I tried manually to get Windows updates, the error code 0x800A0046 would come up.

A friend and I tried to sort it out yesterday.

We went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821, and tried the suggested methods 3 and 4 - but were unable to access 'services.msc', or 'secpol.msc'

We also tried Method 2, which was successful in itself, but made no difference in letting me get access to Windows updates.

We did not try Method 1 "Remove the user account that is experiencing difficulty from the Guests or Limited account groups". I have XP home version. My friend said fiddling around in this area could cause a real mess, plus I think I am the only user listed.

We then decided to try and download IE 7 to see if that would make a difference. (I normally use Firefox, so hadn't tried to do this before.)

The site asked us to turn off all anti-virus progs and suchlike during the download.

My programes included an AVG package, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spyblaster (I think that is what it was called), and Spyguard. By now we were fairly computer frazzled, and could only find the on/off button for AVG, so I said "Let's just delete them, I can put them back on tomorrow". How clever was that!

This morning my friend came round and said he thinks one of my anti-spyware progs had quarantined one of the things that Windows update needs in order to function.

And I have deleted all these progs from my computer!

- I need to check the date of my last Windows Update, but am not sure how to do this.
- I need to know if there is anything that other people have disabled on their computers, which has caused Windows update to stop. It may be something that has happened to other people...

I'm sorry to present you with such a horrible muck up. If you have read this far you deserve a medal.

:buried: