PDA

View Full Version : Limited User Account

Charly
2007-01-17, 05:53
My OS: WinXP PRO SP2; Browser: IE7.

Hello.

I just created a Limited User Account (LUA).

When scanning with Spybot S&D in 'Account with Administrative Privileges' (AAP), does this scan encompass the LUA as well by default or should a separate scan be performed?

TIA...............Charly.

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-17, 06:11
You should scan from each user account.

Although the entire system is scanned for most malware, due to restrictions in the Microsoft APIs (Application Program Interfaces) used by Spybot, the scan from one account does not include the Internet cache, cookies and some other user specific entries of other accounts.

Charly
2007-01-19, 01:36
Thanks for advice, md usa spybot fan.

I'll be guided accordingly.

Kind regards...........Charly.

ght1
2009-03-21, 20:07
the scan from one account does not include the Internet cache, cookies and some other user specific entries of other accounts.

So a scan should always run from an admin account? :sad:

drragostea
2009-03-22, 00:43
Not really. You can always run it from a Limited Account but I would suggest you run from an Admin account because you'll be scanning the whole system included all the users (excluding Internet cookies, cache, etc.).

Minor things like cookies and cache are not something that should be worried about.

ght1
2009-03-22, 10:18
Ok, I will try it :devil:

ght1
2009-04-07, 19:17
I noticed that it's not possible to update Spybot in a limited user account!? :sad:

md usa spybot fan
2009-04-07, 20:31
ance:

You dug up an old post from over two years ago when the current version of Spybot Search & Destroy was 1.4. At that time Spybot "... did not scan Internet cache, cookies and some other user specific entries of other accounts" even if run from a "Computer administrator" account.

Newer versions of Spybot overcome some of these restrictions and scan Internet cache, cookies and other user specific entries of if run from a "Computer administrator" account.

So a scan should always run from an admin account? :sad:
If you are asking if running Spybot from a "Limited account" or "Guest account" will scan the entire system, the answer is most likely no particularly in the case of a "Guest account". The ability to scan the entire system in the case of a "Limited account" would depend on the authorities (privileges) given to that "Limited account".

If you are interested in scanning your entire system, I suggest that you scan your system from a "Computer administrator" account.

brighthope
2009-04-09, 05:57
Thanks guys....I was going to ask the same question (about user accounts) but I don't have to now!:)