PDA

View Full Version : 1172 blacklisted processes

TexasChuck
2007-01-18, 20:10
I tried an S&D check using the version I've had for years. It bogged down. I decided to uninstall and downloaded and installed a new one. Updated and ran it multiple times. On search, it starts out fast, slows down at about 4,000, and by the time it gets to 7,000 you can tell it would be many many hours to finish running. 55,000 is indicated as full distance. Tried to terminate the program. No success except to go to Task Manager and blow it away.
Down on the systray, bottom right, the S&D icon indicates 1172 processes blacklisted. No idea what to try next........... Suggestions, please.
Thanx, Chuck

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-18, 20:21
Changes to Spybot's advcheck.dll included with last weeks updates (2007-01-12) cause some anti-virus programs to thrash while Spybot is scanning.

Solution:
You can either: Inactivate your anti-virus active shield while doing a Spybot scan.
--- or ---
Download a beta test version of the advcheck.dll which appears to remedy the problem. For two methods to download the beta test version of the program see this post:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=64464&postcount=152
The full story is here:
Very long duration of scan after update (was: problem running scan)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=10443

TexasChuck
2007-01-18, 21:02
OK, thank you, that worked. I got a complete check done in maybe ten minutes. Nothing found. However, the bottom-right icon still says "1172 processes blacklisted" and I can't figure out how to see information on what that is all about. Any clues?

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-18, 22:41
I'm sorry but I had to run out earlier and did have a chance to answer all your questions.

The icon titled "Spybot-SD Resident" in the System Notification (System Tray) area of the taskbar is the icon associated with TeaTimer. TeaTimer is an active protection that has two distinct functions:
TeaTimer monitors changes to certain system Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object, etc. When any change is detected to these Registry keys a pop-up dialog (see Note #1) is issued asking you to allow or deny the change and if you want TeaTimer to remember the decision.
TeaTimer also monitors processes that are initiated in the system. If the process being initiated matches a list of processes in Spybot's detection files (see Note #2), the process is terminated and a dialog is issued to notify you and allow you to make choices as to how to handle the same process during future detections.
TeaTimer is not activated by default. There are two ways to activate TeaTimer:
By checking the following item on the Select Additional Tasks installation screen:
Use system setting protection (TeaTimer).
By going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident > then checking the following item:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
Note #1: There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. For more on how to correct the problem see:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=60802&postcount=2
Note #2: I believe that the "1172 processes blacklisted" may be the number of processes that TeaTimer monitors for termination. To the best of my knowledge there is no list of what those 1172 processes are.

TexasChuck
2007-01-18, 23:20
well, that's a relief. I thought it had found 1,172 infected files.
Thanks so much, Chuck