PDA

View Full Version : is www.stop-scam a spyware?

dawg33
2005-12-16, 18:55
Does anyone know anything about this or heard of this. I have run spybot and hopefully taken care of the problem. :mad:

tashi
2005-12-17, 22:41
I have run spybot and hopefully taken care of the problem. :mad:
Hello, what problem was that, could you give more details please. :)

Sages8067
2005-12-19, 02:23
you might have to try Hi Jack this and Adaware, and Microsoft.:rolleyes:

tashi
2005-12-19, 13:14
you might have to try Hi Jack this and Adaware, and Microsoft.:rolleyes:

HJT is a tool not a prevention program and should be used only under expert supervision.

Best to find out what problems dawg33 experienced. :)

gjohnson
2006-01-19, 21:09
This company got a hold of my business credit card and made a charge on it. I have no idea how they did it, but I cant get any info on this company at all. If it uses spyware it needs to be known that these guys are big time trouble.

Kodiak_JP
2006-01-28, 01:14
I had the same problem. I don't know who this company is, but they obtained my credit card info somehow, and charged against the card.
Here is the WHOIS info for the domain (registered just 3 months ago):
WHOIS information for stop-scam.com:

[whois.melbourneit.com]

Domain Name.......... stop-scam.com
Creation Date........ 2005-10-12
Registration Date.... 2005-10-12
Expiry Date.......... 2006-10-12
Organisation Name.... William Duong
Organisation Address. 4930 Cloverly Ave.
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Temple City
Organisation Address. 91780
Organisation Address. CA
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... William Duong
Admin Address........ 4930 Cloverly Ave.
Admin Address........
Admin Address........ Temple City
Admin Address........ 91780
Admin Address........ CA
Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
Admin Email.......... saliberdbiefes@yahoo.com
Admin Phone.......... +1.6262858198
Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ YahooDomains TechContact
Tech Address......... 701 First Ave.
Tech Address.........
Tech Address......... Sunnyvale
Tech Address......... 94089
Tech Address......... CA
Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
Tech Email........... domain.tech@YAHOO-INC.COM
Tech Phone........... +1.6198813096
Tech Fax.............
Name Server.......... yns1.yahoo.com
Name Server.......... yns2.yahoo.com

I did a little further research, and found that there is no known William Duong who lives in Temple City (obvious, yeah I know, but there was still a chance in my mind that this was a legitimate purchase I had just forgotten about). The phone number does match with the address, although it's a different name
http://www.reversephonedirectory.com/whitepages/phone/index.html?number=6262858198
Fortunately, I was able to dispute the charges and have them reversed.

Kayla
2006-02-04, 03:15
I also had this website put through an unauthorized transaction on my bank account. I actually found out about it today and the transaction was also made on 1/28/06. After looking into I found out that these people have obtained about 25,000 credit card #'s as well as debit card #'s and have been visiting different websites making small online payments to see if the cards work. Through my work Im able to find out who lives in certain households by typing in their address and William Duong does actually live at that address. I was told by someone at a second website that they made a transaction with, that the FBI and secret service are looking into this. I really would like to call Mr. Duong and let him know what I think of him, however I do not want to give him the heads up that they're on to him. If you've had this happen to you, it is no mistake. Someone indeed has gotten ahold of your info. The best thing to do is cancel those credit cards immediately.

nonamer
2006-02-10, 03:15
I am a victim of this website tonight (2/9/06).

I checked my account and they took 20 bucks out on 9th but the purchase was the 7th. I immediately called the bank and they can not trace it other than what I saw…. So I went to www.whois.net and tracked the website to the owner. I called him continuously and every time they had a excuse of William not being there or he'll be home friday night. What did you do and who did you contact? Help me, I know its only 20bucks but its still invasion of privacy. I will be reporting my card stolen.:mad:

tashi
2006-02-10, 19:55
Hello everyone.

I encourage anyone who may be a victim of Identify Theft to take the appropiate measures.
There is not much point in contacting a possible thief, in fact one could inadvertently give more information about oneself.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/idtheft.htm

I will try to find out more information about Stop-Scam.com

nonamer
2006-02-10, 21:17
A family member works for the state... an agent will call me in a couple of days and they will investigate. I will let them know of this website forum and the stop-scam.com. The owener of stop-scam did in deed call me back but denies the charges. In the mean time i have my bank account locked down and cards are hot. Does anyone know EXACTLY where this is from?

also i think i will take this all the way..

i know i can prob get them for the following..

identity theft
invasion of privacy
credit card fraud

shoot i forget the others but name the other things you think we could get him for!

EmcEE CiRE
2006-02-10, 22:38
i just sent out a check to the library of congress to copyright a cd, and my account had an outstanding 20 dollar transaction.... however, i sent them a 30 dollar check, so figured they made a mistake. today the transaction cleared and low and behold, stop-scam.com for 20 bucks on my Visa Check Card, Feb 8th. The only website that has the information of my actual CARD is capital one to pay my bills online. Lucky for me, my mom works for the bank that my checking account is with, and she monitors my card activity, and caught it right away. The only thing that comes up on S&D is for Fun Web Products, which apparently cannot be removed. So the card is flagged, and all i can do now is fill out a cardholder dispute form, slice this card up and start over. i guess i'll just have to get over the 37 cents it costs to mail a check lol. What a headache.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-10, 23:12
... the 37 cents it costs to mail a check ...
I hope that you are using the new 39 cent stamp (after January 8th) - or your checks may never get to their destination.

silveravnt
2006-02-12, 01:53
I got the same charges on my Debit cards. Both of them on the same day(2/6/6). The reason it caught my eye was I had no money in one of my accounts so it went overdrawn and they sent me a letter. I bet alot of ppl are not noticing this charge.
What I'm trying to figure is where they got my card numbers. I dont know of many places where I have used both cards. Paypal and Fotki are the only ones i can think of.

Disclaimer: I'm definitly not accusing PP or fotki, thems is just the facts.

tashi
2006-02-12, 17:13
I was told by someone at a second website that they made a transaction with, that the FBI and secret service are looking into this.<snip> If you've had this happen to you, it is no mistake. Someone indeed has gotten ahold of your info. The best thing to do is cancel those credit cards immediately.
Well said.
I have put the word out to the security community.
Always scrutinize your credit card/bank accounts and if you see any activity unauthorised by you, contact the CC company and authorities immediately.

tashi
2006-02-12, 20:39
We would like to see HJT logs in order to find out if your computers are infected.

Please go here and follow instructions.
Before you post a log, and who will advise you. (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Start a topic here:
Malware Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22[/url)

As topic please put stop-scam.

Someone will then take a look at the system and advise you as soon as available to do so.

David Arnatt
2006-02-13, 03:27
You may think $20 thats nothing to me, but think of when they do it on a regular basis - and to 25,000 people? easy way to retire.

Contact your bank and please setup favourite links in your shortcuts that point to your bank, so you do not have to type in your banking details as people use typo's to there advantage. eg - www.commonwealth.com.au - people make such links as www.comonwealth.com were only one M is typed.

leeanne
2006-02-13, 05:57
I got a message from email removed -tashi on January 28th that his list of customers had a lot of people on it who's payment method had been stollen.

He said that he had a list of compromised numbers and many were on his customer list.

I have no idea if his site was unsafe or not.

Has anyone else who has been charged 20 dollars by stop-scam also done business with this guy

Kayla
2006-02-23, 06:11
I also used paypal once. I dont know exactly how they got ahold of the debit/credit card #'s but they did and if you think about it, those things are so easy to obtain. Anyone who has access to peoples card #'s such as banks, stores, basically anywhere you use your credit/debit card can easily steal the numbers and use them. My charge was also for $20 and like someone else said, I didnt care about the $20, I cared that they had access to my money and my privacy. I strongly suggest that all of you put a fraud alert on your credit report. This way if anyone tries to apply for credit in your name, you will be notified immediately. You can do this by going to the experian website. I havent heard anything more about it since I last posted my first message on here but I plan on calling the company that told me about the FBI getting involved to see if they've gotten any updates. Also, you may want to take it easy on calling Mr. Duong if you want him to get caught. I was eager to call him myself but I did not want to give him the heads up that I knew who was doing it.