PDA

View Full Version : TeaTimer crashes PC when Switching User

Parish
2007-01-21, 16:14
If TeaTimer is enabled for several users it causes my PC to spontaneously reboot if I Switch User - no BSOD (automatic reboot is disabled).

If I log out as one user before logging as another then it doesn't reboot. It seems that TeaTimer doesn't work if being run by two users at the same time, but since it is a per-user setting I need it to be run by every user on the PC.

Windows XP Pro + SP2 + all updates/hotfixes.

I've found a couple of references on the 'net where other people are having the same problem, but no fixes, but can't find any reference to it in this forum.

Any ideas?

bitman
2007-01-21, 16:39
Parish,

That's a good catch, and I've got something I'd like you to try if you're willing.

There is a new version of TeaTimer currently in Beta testing which fixes many issues on both Windows XP and Vista. I don't know if it will fix your problem, but it would be an important thing to know before it is released.

To install this Beta version, switch Spybot S&D to Advanced Mode, select the Settings button, then Settings again and select 'Display available beta versions.' under Web Update. Then perform an update and select 'ßTeaTimer 1.5' along with any other offered updates.

Once you've downloaded and tested the new version, please post your results here and in the following thread in the Beta forum if it's still rebooting.

Announcing betas: TeaTimer / Updater / Vista integration (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9474)

Thanks,

Bitman

Parish
2007-01-23, 19:31
Bitman, I tried the beta version, but the problem still persists.

I've posted in the Announcing Betas thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9474) as requested.

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-23, 22:21
Parish:

I personally have never encountered the problem that you have described. In fact after your initial post, I retested TeaTimer with two (2) users concurrently logged on with both using TeaTimer.

Switching between the users (using quick switch), the only problem encountered (although is actually a quirk that requires a understanding by the system user(s) of how TeaTimer operates) is that a change to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive (as opposed to changes to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER) stimulates a TeaTimer registry change dialog to appear to both users and both messages have to be answered by the respective users.