PDA

View Full Version : got bsod, no luck w/ restart or reinstall

mike_t
2007-01-21, 19:22
My system is a Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2G processor, running WinXP. I installed a new hdd last week (old one failed), spent a couple of evenings getting all the apps, settings, etc. set back up for two users. It worked like a charm for last 2-3 days.

Finally, last night, downloaded and installed S&D 1.4 - even donated $20 'coz it's been such a big help in the past. Opted to backup registry for good measure; left for a minute, and returned to find Windows had crashed. May have been a black screen (I've seen so many blue and black screens now that I'm not sure whether this one was the first):
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Tried restarting without luck. Eventually booted from Windows disk and began repair install. About 15 minutes into it, got brief BSOD (something about BOOT_something), then system tried to restart but failed - couldn't detect drive 0. I ran setup and deactivated my old hard drive (was set up as slave for file recovery); then was able to try Windows repair again. This time it ran all the way through and Windows started. It crashed again while loading my desktop - couldn't detect drive 0. Turned it on this a.m. and the setup asked me for the basic config choices - one was Install MSN or no. As was opening my desktop, crashed again (BSOD 7E), started to reboot and got the CONFIG/SYSTEM error again.

Any ideas??? At this point, I'm ready to start over with a clean install of Windows but would appreciate knowing if there's an easier fix. Thanks.