PDA

View Full Version : Spybot stops responding

annierose
2007-01-22, 17:15
Hi,
While running the program's search and destroy function, the program stops responding. I waited, nothing happens. Had to use "End Task" function to close program. I just re-installed the program. Read through forum for help, tried suggestions. Nothing works. Computer is not over heating, processor working great, etc. Can not figure out what is going on. I have Windows XP Pro for O/S.

Am I missing something???

Thanks

spybotsandra
2007-01-22, 18:21
Hello,

Which version of Spybot - Search & Destroy do you run?
Do you have installed the latest updates?
Do you get any error message?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

annierose
2007-01-22, 21:02
I have version 1.4 with all the updates needed upon original install.

I do not get any error messages, just when I go to "Windows task manager" it states that Spybot is not responding.

Thanks

spybotsandra
2007-01-23, 11:39
Hello,

Many users have reported a problem after the advanced check library update (version 1.5) from the 2007-01-12:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=10443/_
The scan was much faster before, now it takes longer than one hour.
But we were able to fix the problem yet. You can download the new update here:
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_advcheck.exe
Now your Spybot - Search & Destroy should scan as usual.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

annierose
2007-01-26, 15:57
Sorry for the delayed response. I tried the update and it kind of worked. The program got to 46000 and then it stopped responding. It stopped while checking for Win32.Headef if that helps. Tried running it couple of times after that, didn't get past 4000 or so.

Thanks

leratnoir
2007-01-28, 11:48
Hello :) I have a similar problem ! Spybot don't run at all. ... Task Manager indicates that Spybot is not answered. I just format my hdd, consequently no malware ... More annoying, IE7 launches out and is closed. IE7 function again after desinstallation of Spybot!

leratnoir
2007-01-28, 11:52
Spybot launches out correctly without the updates. It is after the installation of updates that Spybot does not function any more. It is the first time that I observe this problem. Precision, only Windows Defender and TOR run in background tasks…

leratnoir
2007-01-28, 11:59
And Protowall ...

calliejane
2007-02-04, 00:17
Yes...I am having exactly the same problem. When I first installed S&D 1.4, I didn't choose to immediately download upates and it ran beautifully...as soon as I installed the update, no go. It just seizes up at 6000 (WWWCoolSearch).
As suggested by others, I have tried disabling the resident shield of AVG but that doesn't make any difference either. Also tried updating directly from the link Sandra gave but it still freezes in the same spot.

I also have AdAware and AVG Anti-spyare installed.

Any other suggestions?

releph
2007-02-11, 22:42
I have used Spybot for years on various machines and recommended it to lots of others but have never had this 'Not Responding' problem before.

I have Win XP Pro with all updates including IE7 I have tried scan on start up and safe mode but still get problem. I can get to different stages in the scan (I think the maximum was about 40000) but it always ends up failing. On the way it reports no spyware.

I am using quite a powerful laptop (Pentium 3.6 and 1GB RAM 256 graphics card).

So any suggestions greatly received... and many thanks for all your efforts.

Robert.

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-11, 22:57
releph:

The problem may not be with Spybot itself but some condition being encountered while Spybot is scanning. Although it is long shot, I suggest you try running CHKDSK on your primary drive to make sure there are no file system errors that may be causing the problem.

Open a command prompt. Click Start then select Run… Type "command" or "cmd" (no quotes). Click "OK" Type "chkdsk x: /r" (type the command with no quotes and substituting the drive letter of the drive you want to scan for the "x:"). Note: Option /f : Fixes errors on the disk. Option /r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
If the following message appears:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Type "Y" (no quotes). Type "EXIT" (no quotes). Reboot your system. If you did not get the message indicating that a reboot was required (3. above), type "EXIT" (no quotes) when Chkdsk completes. Note: CHKDSK may run for quite a while so just be patient.For more information on CHKDSK see:
Chkdsk
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx

releph
2007-03-03, 08:19
releph:
The problem may not be with Spybot itself but some condition being encountered while Spybot is scanning. Although it is long shot, I suggest you try running CHKDSK on your primary drive to make sure there are no file system errors that may be causing the problem.

I have tried this and there are no errors. So as you said worth a try but I will have to give up on this computer for the time being.

Thanks.