PDA

View Full Version : Drive Letter Change

mrockett
2007-01-22, 23:24
Hello,

When someone that used to work in our office put a new hard drive in, they somehow assigned the boot drive/system drive as E:\. Now some programs don't work correctly including Spybot SandD. Do you have any suggestions of how I can work around this? Thanks in advance.

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-23, 17:07
You either have to change the primary to C: (see Note #1) or change all the startup entries and shortcuts to the new drive letter.

Note #1: For Windows 2000, 2003 or XP (read the Warning):
How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

mrockett
2007-01-23, 19:55
Thanks for the reply.

I have read that article, but look at the warning:

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on a computer where the drive letter has not changed. If you do so, you may not be able to start your operating system. Follow the procedure that is described in this article only to recover from a drive letter change, not to change an existing computer drive to something else. Back up your registry keys before you make this change.

It says "not to change an existing computer drive to something else."

The above statement seems to be my circumstance.

What is your opionion?

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-23, 21:07
mrockett:

The reason that I referred you that particular Microsoft support article and indicated to "... (read the Warning)", is because in spite of the warning it seemed to fit your "… circumstance".

What is your opionion?
Hard to say. If you depend on that system to keep your job and the problems are just an annoyance, leave well enough alone. If you have IT type support of that system, turn the problem over to them.

On the other hand, if something goes wrong and it won't cost you job or if you're just are trying to get a spare system that is not working up and running, what's the down side? You can always rebuild the system's OS provided you have that original CD's or restore the system to the current state of you "Make a full system backup of the computer and system state" as the article suggests.

mrockett
2007-01-23, 22:49
Thanks alot

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-23, 23:15
mrockett:

If you do attempt to change the drive letter, please let us know the outcome so that that others can benefit form your experience.

mrockett
2007-02-28, 16:51
Is there a way I can change the programming in Spybot to where it will scan the E:/ drive?

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-28, 17:10
There are no settings within Spybot to scan particular drives and that is not normally necessary. Unlike anti-virus programs and some other anti-spyware programs, Spybot does not do an in-depth scan of every file on the primary drive. For a brief description of how Spybot scans see:
Why is Spybot-S&D so fast?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/1.html
In other words, if there are things on the "E:\" drive to be scanned, Spybot will automatically do that.