PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer.exe eating up all my processing capacity

Pietzki
2007-01-24, 12:56
Hi there,

I have been using the tea-timer resident protection for quite some time now, but I recently noticed that teatimer.exe tends to eat up all my processing capacity at times (up to 99% of it to be exact). It's not just every now and then, but virtually every time I check in task manager...
I was wondering if this is normal or if it's just because I am using task manager or if it is something I should be concerned about...

I'm sorry if this is just normal or has been asked before, I couldn't find any info on this problem whether on this forum or the web in general..

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!!!

specs: Windows XP Home SP2, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.80GHz, 1GB Ram

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-24, 15:11
TeaTimer Version 1.4.0.2
Windows XP Home SP2, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.40GHz, 512MB Ram

On my system TeaTimer appears to be quite CPU intensive when starting. However, after that it appears to settle down using very little CPU Time.

Accumulated CPU Time used by TeaTimer:
Within the first minute from the start of TeaTimer: 17 Seconds of CPU Time (CPU utilization 100% while TeaTimer started).
After 30 minutes: 31 Seconds of CPU Time.
After 1 Hour: 44 Seconds of CPU Time.
After the initial start of TeaTimer on my system, TeaTimer Version 1.4.0.2 uses less than 1% CPU utilization.

djpailo
2007-01-24, 23:43
TeaTimer Version 1.4.0.2
Windows XP Home SP2, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.40GHz, 512MB Ram

On my system TeaTimer appears to be quite CPU intensive when starting. However, after that it appears to settle down using very little CPU Time.

Accumulated CPU Time used by TeaTimer:
Within the first minute from the start of TeaTimer: 17 Seconds of CPU Time (CPU utilization 100% while TeaTimer started).
After 30 minutes: 31 Seconds of CPU Time.
After 1 Hour: 44 Seconds of CPU Time.
After the initial start of TeaTimer on my system, TeaTimer Version 1.4.0.2 uses less than 1% CPU utilization.

Theoretically speaking, with 256MB RAM, would that then be doubled to 2% useage?

Pietzki
2007-01-24, 23:47
hmmm, I just noticed that a few (7 or so) seconds after opening the task manager, the CPU usage by tea timer goes down to zero again. But it does go up to 99% nearly every time before settling again...strange..must be something to do with task manager.

but it seems like I may just have been a little paranoid about the whole thing...after all, it doesn't really slow me down noticeably, so I suppose it should be fine.

Thanks for your help! :)

bitman
2007-01-25, 05:48
Among other things TeaTimer is a Process Monitor, as is Task Manager. Any time you start a new process TeaTimer will examine it to determine whether it's known to be malicious, etc. which will of course cause some processor utilization.

While Task Manager is open, try starting another application like Internet Explorer or anything else for that matter. You should see TeaTimer jump up in utilization to some extent and then eventually drop back to a minimal level. Since it's always performing some background operations, it's almost always creating a small amount of processor utilization.

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-25, 07:14
Pietzki:

Also note that my statistics were "CPU Time" which I feel is a better measure over a long period of time than spot glimpses of "CPU" utilization. To produce the statistic that published, I altered my Windows Task Manager to show "CPU Time" by doing the following:
While in Windows Task Manager > Processes tab.
I went into View > Select Columns…
Then added "CPU Time" by checking it and clicking "OK".

Pietzki
2007-01-25, 21:34
Pietzki:
Also note that my statistics were "CPU Time" which I feel is a better measure over a long period of time than spot glimpses of "CPU" utilization. To produce the statistic that published, I altered my Windows Task Manager to show "CPU Time" by doing the following:
While in Windows Task Manager > Processes tab.
I went into View > Select Columns…
Then added "CPU Time" by checking it and clicking "OK".

thanks, I have added cpu time to be displayed in task manager... and I noticed that it does seem a little extreme: right now (I started my pc up about 5 min ago) teatimer is showing 3min 26sec CPU time and counting... and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down...

hey it just stopped at 3:53, that seems a lot too much especially with a 2.8GHz processor... Is there any way to find out what is causing this?

my dad (he's the one using this computer) has also complained that recently the pc has been slow, could this be the cause? I am fairly sure that it is free of malware, but I might run some scans anyway...

Pietzki
2007-02-03, 10:05
none of the virus/malware scans I ran revealed anything, does anybody have any ideas what else could be the problem?

spybotsandra
2007-02-04, 17:38
Hello,

Which anti-virus software do you run?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Pietzki
2007-03-06, 10:03
sorry for not replying for so long, I have been on holidays without net access...

I run eTrust Vet antivirus. Do you think it could be a conflict between the two? Maybe I'll just try and disable the realtime protection of Vet, then restart and see if it still happens.. I'll report back..

again, thanks for your help!

PBenton
2008-08-22, 21:45
Since downloading the latest updates from spybot S&D, every time I try to close down the computer, it hangs and tells me to cancelteatimer.exe. ???????????? What shall I do please?

clydefinch
2008-08-23, 02:05
I have the same problem, since the recent TeaTimer update

PeteMoon
2008-08-23, 10:36
Have a look at the TeaTimer doesn't work after Update thread on this page.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32956

Is this the problem you're having?

jysharp2003
2008-09-17, 13:05
Hi, Its Sept 2008 and TeaTimer.exe is still an issue with my CPU. I never experienced this before until a 2007 upgrade to SpyBot. I wonder if the version/programming was efficient in this service. I run XP and still having TeaTimer impacting CPU/Laptop resources. Thanks for the application and your effort. I contribute.
Jerry

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-17, 13:54
jysharp2003 (Jerry):

What version of TeaTimer are you running?

cpu100%
2009-07-28, 17:59
Hi,
A couple of weeks ago now and have noticed that my computer is very hot and is slow for some reason and today i noticed more than ever that my pointer would disapear for seconds at a time as if the cpu was working hard. I checked taskmaster and noticed cpu at 100%. Fearing that my computer was on the way out i started to check out the net for reasons why and came to no answers. I had noticed a process called teatimer exe. that i didn't recognize being on all the time i had firefox on, even when i close firefox down to 1 tab the cpu% is up at 100% for say a minute or more and my fan running overtime i have had a book on my knee for two weeks while i use computer to protect form the heat. I then searched for teatimer and bingo and i find this thread. I have uninstalled S&D and the problem is cured. I had installed S&D from CNET for anyone who would like to know.

Thanks for the heads up to my problem, what suggestions would anyone have for a healthier re-install, also why did S&D not update to sort this problem,

Steve

drragostea
2009-07-29, 00:48
What version of TeaTimer were you originally using?
May I suggest a fresh reinstall of Spybot-Search&Destroy (and clear out your temp. files too btw)? Give it a second chance. :santa:

Don't activate TeaTimer immediately, but activate it after you've installed Spybot.

What are the specs of your system?
Download Spybot-Search&Destroy from SaferNetworking's Servers:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ownmirrors1/index.html
-
And clear out your Temp. files with ATF Cleaner by Atribune:
http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25