PDA

View Full Version : immunize candidate ?

Cheeseburger
2005-12-17, 15:04
Since a couple of years I used on my website a Nedstat webcounter.
It worked perfectly.

Recently this Nedstat company has been transferred to Webstats4u.com.
This transfer has resulted in other 'terms of use' allowing tracking, analyzing and use op pop-up's.

Since 3 weeks visitors of my site complain about popping up ad's about car's, cactus liquids for helping slimming down their weight, etc. etc.

Apparently the technique Webstats4u is able to trick pop-up blockers and also the pop-up blocker in Firefox

Also the Spybotsd immunizer and Spywareblaster immunizer do not catch this splash thingy originating from webstats4.com

Of course I removed this statscounter from my site immediately.

Maybe webstats4.com could be a candidate for the immunization list ?

p.s.: the pop-up appears 1 of 5 visits from a visitor. So it is more or less irregular.

Cheeseburger
2005-12-17, 21:15
Additional info on the changed terms of use by Webstats4U

http://www.webstats4u.com/terms/ state:

With the installation of Webstats4U on the site it is accepted that WMS has the right to place advertisements on the site in any format or through any channel, including but not limited to e-mail, layer ads, pops, banners and other usual formats without any forewarning and it is furthermore accepted that WMS takes no responsibility for the advertising content and that WMS shall not be liable for any losses incurred regarding this advertising.

With the installation of Webstats4U on the site it is accepted that WMS has the right to use the collected data for commercial purposes in line with WMS's privacy policy.

and (in Dutch language):

Webstats4U is een 100% GRATIS versie voor alle webmasters. Om onderhoud, hosting, nieuwe ontwikkelingen en om de beste teller ter wereld gratis te kunnen blijven aanbieden accepteert Webstat4U advertenties. Deze voorwaarden worden genoemd in de Algemene Voorwaarden (http://www.webstats4u.com/terms/)en zijn tevens gecommuniceerd op de eerste pagina van de rapportage site als wel in onze nieuwsbrief aan alle webmasters in augustus en september 2005.

Deze advertentie sponsorschappen zullen van tijd tot tijd verschijnen en kunnen als een pop-under of slide-in flash formaat verschijnen, maar er zullen zeker geen banners, buttons of links rechtstreeks uitgevoerd worden op uw website.

Deze advertentie sponsorschappen zullen van tijd tot tijd verschijnen en kunnen als een pop-under of slide-in flash formaat verschijnen, maar er zullen zeker geen banners, buttons of links rechtstreeks uitgevoerd worden op uw website. Dit betekent dat de gebruiker een campagne niet meerdere malen te zien krijgt en, het meest belangrijke, de gebruiker zal niet gebombardeerd worden met ongewilde advertenties.

Hope this helps to understand the situation.

Grtz,
Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger
2005-12-18, 02:37
This kind of pop-up appears on the screens of visitors to websites equiped with webstats4u.com hitcounters

http://ilead.itrack.it/clients/extas.aspx?cid=*sid=*&wid=*&swid=AdS444874&targetpage=popup&openpopup=0&rescale=1&kid=*&bid=*&dat=*

(where the * is show a 5 position number was shown in the original url, for purposes of safety the number has been removed)

tashi
2005-12-18, 22:56
Web Measurement services B.V. / Webstats4U appears to be upfront about it's terms of use.

The choice of whether to use the service or not would seem to fall upon the site owner.

Do you have any information showing otherwise? :)

Cheeseburger
2005-12-19, 02:49
My point is not protecting webmasters from this thingy. They can indeed chose whether to use this service or not.

The point I try to make is that visitors to an webpage equiped with such an webcounter recieve un-sollicited "quote" e-mail, layer ads, pops, banners and other usual formats without any forewarning "unquote" (see the company terms included in posts above).

At present this company issues flash-ins on the PC of the visitor. So my thinking was to immunize in such a way that the webcounter is not able to produce such an flash-in pop-up.

tashi
2005-12-19, 11:52
Yes I do understand your point. :)

I will bring the matter to Teams's attention and thank you for reporting.