PDA

View Full Version : Spybot deleted my cd drive

Spiders
2007-01-25, 18:33
I selected the imunise and it said it blocked all bad files, i restarted my computer and i get this thing that says "Cannot find cd drive blah blah blah" so i go to open my cd drive, it wont open, there is no longer a auto run for it in my My Computer. Is there a way i can un-block it? I need the cd thats in there.

Spiders
2007-01-25, 18:39
Great...i tried to fix my computer and i end up destroying it.

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-25, 19:22
Spybot's immunization routine adds entries to the system registry that are used by Internet Explorer. This:
Blocks the execution of selected ActiveX scripts.
Blocks the storing of cookies from some sites.
Places sites in the restricted zone.
By domain (name).
By range (IP Address)

The methodology is explained in the following Microsoft articles:
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 240797
How to Stop an ActiveX Control from Running in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=240797
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article – 182569
Description of Internet Explorer security zones registry entries
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=182569
To remove the system registry entries that were added during the immunization process:
Go into Spybot > Immunize
Click the "Undo" button (at the top of the right hand pane)
This will not fix the problem that you are having with "Cannot find cd drive blah blah blah" because Spybot's immunization process would not have caused the problem to begin with.

Did you run a Spybot "Check for problems" followed by a "Fix selected problems"? If so please post the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file from immediately before the problem with the CD drive was detected. Although I have never heard of a problem with a CD drive related to the removal of malware by Spybot, I assume that the possibility exists.

To post the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log use either of the following two methods:
Method 1:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Pervious reports. Look for the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that contains the detections that you like to me to help you with. Open it. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
Method 2
The Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select "Select All" > Right click again and select "Copy". Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
Although it is unlikely that you will believe me, my first inclination is that the failure of your CD drive and the use of Spybot was just a coincidence and that there is a physical problem with your CD drive.