PDA

View Full Version : Can't change Wallpaper! ? adware causes ?

melo86
2007-01-27, 06:48
Hi,

I had a few adwares on my O.S. (win XP HE), but I managed to remove them all except for one little trace. I've tried many removal tools, but none seems to be helping with this last problem that is anoing me.

I can't change my wallpaper. What actually happens is that when I try to scroll down the "Background" scrollbox at the "Display Properties" --> "Desktop" window.

I believe it has something to do with policies, but windows xp Home Edition is very limited in what comes to policies and it has no editor. By regedit I couldn't find any policy key that would actually make me believe it was it. I already tried to google this issue, but I can't find anything concrete.

The closest clue I have is that this was caused by a spyware installed to advertise a spyware software, which installed itself and changed my desktop wallpaper to a black image that said that I was infected with malware and I needed a spyware software to resolve the problem. The image also said something claiming it was from Microsoft and they suggested a product...blablablabla. :)

Could anyone help me out please?

O.S. - Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (Last updates)
Antivirus - Avast Home Edition
SpyWare Detector - SpyBot Search & Destroy

Thanks,

Filipe

melo86
2007-01-27, 07:08
I had started a frase...but forgot to end it...lool

here...

I can't change my wallpaper. What actually happens is that when I try to scroll down the "Background" scrollbox at the "Display Properties" --> "Desktop" window.

what i ment was...

I can't change my wallpaper. What actually happens is that when I try to scroll down the "Background" scrollbox at the "Display Properties" --> "Desktop" window, I can't actually scroll, neither browse a picture, but I can see the images' names there in the scrollbox.

Thank you

tashi
2007-02-05, 08:19
Hello

If you have not resolved the problem, please follow the procedure in this link: "BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Post the requested information into this topic, and a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Cheers.

tashi
2007-02-13, 20:12
This topic has been archived.

If you need it re-opened please send me a private message (pm) and provide a link to the thread. Applies only to the original poster, anyone else with similar problems please start a new topic.