PDA

View Full Version : updating manually

persoi
2007-01-30, 13:54
As a computer tech i am always installing spybot on peoples computers and running them onsite. usually i have a "tools cd" which insludes spybot and others and burn off new copies every 2 weeks or month with the updates included.

currently i find that even when i download the latest manual update that i still have to download everything and in away it doesn't feel like its really doing a proper job. usually i need all the updates on a computer and its only got a dialup connection.

will it be possible to somehow inprove the manual update file so i know or at least feel like i am truly updated without having to go online at all ?

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-30, 19:05
This is not really an answer to the following question:

will it be possible to somehow inprove the manual update file so i know or at least feel like i am truly updated without having to go online at all ?
However, I have a workaround that you can try that may save you some time with dialup downloads and possibly make you:

… at least feel like i am truly updated without having to go online at all ?

When you update manually the updates made by executing the spybotsd_includes.exe are not recognized by the integrated update facility. I personally, like you, consider this to be a defect in the update facility although the Detection updates (http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe) on the Downloads (http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html) page do state:

Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.
That statement can be construed to indicate that the two update methods are not interchangeable or compatible.

There is a trick to getting the integrated update facility to recognize the changes to the detection rules made by manually downloading and executing the spybotsd_includes.exe file. After doing a manual update, deleted the following file:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates\downloaded.ini
The downloaded.ini contains a record of updates made using the integrated update facility. When you delete that file it should force Spybot's integrated update facility to inspect the content of the various Spybot folders to rebuild the downloaded.ini. After this is done integrated update facility should to recognize the manual updates that you made.

Give it a whirl and please let me know if it provides a viable workaround for the problem you are having.

ps: If you are also updating the Tools.dll and advcheck.dll files with the following manual updates, deleting the downloaded.ini file should also work for those updates:
Tools update 2007-01-12 - product description
md5: 0E4EDF1C77F4992736F4444C86A50BD3
Only needed if you do not use the integrated update.
Advanced check library update 2007-01-19 - product description
md5: 86591705A1D43E8F231364BC69B82D83
This is an update for a detection library. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

persoi
2007-02-02, 05:25
I gave it a shot, installed spybot on my own machine, ran the manual protection updates and then deleted the downloaded.ini file

still though, the intergrated update facility wont recognise the updates made by manual updating.

its not really going to be an issue as long as i know that downloading the updates manually definatley will make spybot software current.. which still leaves me feeling a little doubtful.

prehaps the developers might want to think about solving this problem with the incompatabilty of intergrated and manual updating