BCR CMPTR
2007-01-30, 17:47
Just a queery: I was wundering if the fix for the teatimer/resident pop-up
metrics shown in Elpiedras' post:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

could be implemented pre-packeging.

I understand that the I think it wes paradox, compiler used to compile it
has some problem, but I was thinking that after compiling you the Developer
could run the reshack before packaging the install???

I don't know if that would fix the bug or create installation/compatibility issuse but it sounds logical to me.

I've been using spybot 4ever, and I stick it on every system I work on, so I've
had to use Elpiedras' fix quite often. The replies to his/her post is just a small
fraction of folks who've delt with the problem, and I know of a few people
who stopped using teatimer/resident/spybot because of the bug, till I showed
them the fix... But not everyone that uses (or attempts to), use spybot,
has the experience or comfort level to find and fix the bug. So they don't
get the reason for teatimer and end up uninstalling Spybot.

This is why I make the suggestion.

bcr
º¿º

bitman
2007-01-30, 19:18
At this point it would be a complete waste of time, since there is a Beta version readily available that fixes the problem. Just go into settings and temporarily check the 'Display available beta versions' item under Web update and download the beta version.

Since both TeaTimer and the complete Spybot S&D package must be digitally signed before distribution, this also incurs a cost, so this will now await a new full release. I completely agree that the TeaTimer display issues is a big hassle and has taken far too long, but I much prefer that Patrick concentrate on testing and finishing the new release to even answering this question again. The following are genaral comments about this and are not a specific reference to you, you just triggered my thoughts.

The problem of the developer keeping his focus is a huge one for an application like Spybot S&D, especially with someone who feels so accountable for his work. The best thing we can do to help at this point is contribute to the testing and polish of the new release, so it can happen as quickly as possible, but without such a damaging problem as the display issue.

Patrick, please stop defending your work and just continue development, including interacting with those helping test the beta. Those who care about what you do understand and will defend you, the others shouldn't really be your concern and only serve to slow you down. We're all in anticipation of the things you've described in the beta threads, so keep that up as appropriate and time allows.

Bitman