PDA

View Full Version : I've made a monumental error...

tjatom
2007-01-30, 19:04
Having mistaken the crypt32.dll and senslogn system.ini entries for trojans/malware I've deleted them from startup. Obviously, these are not trojans and I should no doubt re-enable the entries. Is there any way for me to do this manually? I don't particularly fancy reinstalling Windows, but perhaps that's an apt punishment for being so stupid. At present I have no restore points available.

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-30, 19:19
Windows XP I assume. Use System Restore and restoring back to a "restore point" prior to when you deleted the startup entries.

tjatom
2007-01-30, 19:21
Unfortunately I don't have any. Thank you though.

tjatom
2007-01-30, 19:24
Would it work to export the missing registry entries from another XP system into my own. No files have been deleted, and the registry entries would be identical (or I assume so).

tjatom
2007-01-30, 19:53
Yes, it did work. It seems I've answered my own question. Apologies if I've wasted anyone's time.

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-30, 20:08
Since I see differences in the System.ini entries among the various reports in this forum, I somewhat doubt that taking a copy from another system will work properly.

Do you have a recent backup of the following registry key?
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify]

tjatom
2007-01-30, 20:13
All three of the systems I checked had indentical registry entries, and the remaining ones within my Notify group all matched up exactly. Having exported the two missing keys they now show-up as normal within SpyBot and I've not encountered any errors.

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-30, 20:24
I'm glad that you were able to recover.

Now consider turning back on System Restore so that it easier to recover from "monumental" errors or even small ones.

tjatom
2007-01-30, 20:29
Considered and done!