PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.4 install on a Win98 machine

Neal16
2007-01-30, 22:32
I installed Spybot 1.4 on a win98 machine but it won't update. The flashlight dialog searches and searches but won't connect to the server. It keeps searching even after the program has frozen. When I try to shut Spybot down I get the dreaded BSOD. Is there something wrong with my computer config or is the new program just not compatible with win98?

TIA, Neal

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-30, 23:34
Spybot 1.4 is compatible with Windows 98:
Supported operating systems
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/paragraphs/spybotsd_ossupport.html
Actually I don't have the foggiest idea what could be causing the problem, particularly since you indicate that the attempt to update Spybot results in a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Because of the BSOD, I have to think that it maybe the problem is memory related or another Windows OS capacity related problem such as disk capacity for virtual storage.

Have you attempted to update immediately after rebooting without loading other programs?

Is your primary hard drive nearly full not allowing enough room for the allowable virtual storage?

Do you have a firewall running and if so have you attempted to download without the firewall loaded?

Neal16
2007-01-31, 04:56
Hi md,

I had uninstalled 1.4 and reinstalled 1.3 so I just reinstalled 1.4 again. Previously I ran 1.4 right after booting with no other programs open but still had the same problem. After this install I closed both AVG and Zone Alarm and that did the trick. I don't know which one is the culprit--maybe both but at least I was able to update and run the program. I'll have to do a little more trouble shooting to see if I can narrow it down. Thanks for the help!

Neal

persoi
2007-02-02, 05:33
Hi md,

I had uninstalled 1.4 and reinstalled 1.3 so I just reinstalled 1.4 again. Previously I ran 1.4 right after booting with no other programs open but still had the same problem. After this install I closed both AVG and Zone Alarm and that did the trick. I don't know which one is the culprit--maybe both but at least I was able to update and run the program. I'll have to do a little more trouble shooting to see if I can narrow it down. Thanks for the help!

Neal

my guess is that it was zonealarm causing all your problem, it must have been blocking spybots communication.

the blue screen probably is caused by massive instability of windows 98 when spybot encounters its problem cancelling updates

over many times on many machines [fixing computers] (basically 100% of the time) if i run the intergrated update facilty and then try and cancel out of it (especially while actually downloading an update) spybot will essentailly become unstable whether its on windows xp and windows 98.

i think that when you click cancel the software will become unstable for up to about 5 minutes (espcially if its a sslow machine), but if you walk away and do not do anything else on the pc i find the instabilty stops when spybot finally figures out its having a problem downloading updates

Neal16
2007-02-05, 05:00
my guess is that it was zonealarm causing all your problem, it must have been blocking spybots communication.

the blue screen probably is caused by massive instability of windows 98 when spybot encounters its problem cancelling updates

over many times on many machines [fixing computers] (basically 100% of the time) if i run the intergrated update facilty and then try and cancel out of it (especially while actually downloading an update) spybot will essentailly become unstable whether its on windows xp and windows 98.

i think that when you click cancel the software will become unstable for up to about 5 minutes (espcially if its a sslow machine), but if you walk away and do not do anything else on the pc i find the instabilty stops when spybot finally figures out its having a problem downloading updates

You were right about zone alarm. That was the problem. The win98 machine actually belongs to my girlfriend and she even has another one that I just upgraded to spybot 1.4. Although I was prepared for problems this time, I had none. The latter computer even has a slower processor and less RAM but with the same config (ZA & AVG). I'm not sure what the difference was but I think the first machine had more things running in memory and thus less resources available.