PDA

View Full Version : One hell of a pickle (teatimer)

cowzilla
2007-01-31, 11:27
Ok-
I intalled spybot & teatimer on my XP machine about a week ago. The much maligned-teatimer bug appeared, preventing me from doing anything really other than closing the registry change dialog box. I didn't really worry about it all that much... UNTIL
I tried setting up an XP password. The little "registry change" box came up, I closed it (or just closed spybot, I don't remember), now -after restart- the password I set won't work (though it still wants one). I'm having to use a friend's computer to write this, and I'd really like to not have to reinstall windows.... Ideas? Please?

t:sad:

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-31, 15:23
Try the following:
Reboot in Safe Mode.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type "control userpasswords2" (no quotes) and then click OK.
Click the user account that you forgot the password for, and then click Reset Password.
Type a new password in both the New password and the Confirm new password boxes, and then click OK.
Safe Mode:
Restart your system.
As the computer restarts, watch for a progress bar at the bottom of the screen.
Before the progress bar reaches the right side of the screen start pressing F8 about once every second.
From the Windows Start-up menu, highlight Safe Mode and press Enter.
To disable TeaTimer:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

cowzilla
2007-02-01, 00:51
Much thanks. That fixed it. Yay! :laugh:

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-01, 01:53
Good to here that you recovered.

Incidentally, I do not believe that your problem was caused by TeaTimer. I changed passwords twice and TeaTimer issued no message. In fact I do not believe that passwords are even stored in the registry. I believe that they may be stored in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM file but I have not verified that.