PDA

View Full Version : Spybot's installation wizard (TeaTimer)

md usa spybot fan
2007-01-31, 17:35
For any future releases of Spybot-S&D, please consider modifying the "Select Additional Tasks" dialog of Spybot's installation wizard. I am making this suggest because I feel that many people check "Use system settings projection (TeaTimer)" during the installation process not realizing the possible impact of that decision.

When activating TeaTimer from within Spybot you must first go into Advanced mode which carries the following warning:

Warning

The advanced mode of Spybot-S&D offers more options than the default mode; but those also include some that can do harm to your system if you are not sure what you are doing. Do you really want to switch to advanced mode?

[Yes] [No]
When activating TeaTimer during the installation process there is no indication may not be suitable for use by all users.

I recommend that the "Select Additional Tasks" dialog of Spybot's installation wizard be changed as follows:
Instead of this:

Setup - Spybot - Search & Destroy

Select Additional Tasks
Which additional tasks should be performed?

Select the additional tasks you would like Setup to perform while installing Spybot - Search & Destroy, then click Next.

Additional icons:
■ Create desktop icons
■ Create a Quick Launch icon

Permanent protection:
■ Use Internet Explorer protection (SDHelper)
□ Use system settings projection (TeaTimer)

[ Back ] [ Next ] [ Cancel ]

I believe it should read something like:

Setup - Spybot - Search & Destroy

Select Additional Tasks
Which additional tasks should be performed?

Select the additional tasks you would like Setup to perform while installing Spybot - Search & Destroy, then click Next.

Additional icons:
■ Create desktop icons
■ Create a Quick Launch icon

Permanent protection:
■ Use Internet Explorer protection (SDHelper)

Permanent protection (Advanced mode tool - can do harm to your system if you are not sure what you are doing):
□ Use system settings projection (TeaTimer)

[ Back ] [ Next ] [ Cancel ]

PepiMK
2007-01-31, 19:51
InnoSetup doesn't allow that much details on the dialog that easily I'm afraid, and for 1.5, we're currently also preparing a Vista version which'll use the msi installer...

What could be kind of easy for both versions (and it seems we need to versions anyway, because to get certified for Vista, the certified version needs to be stripped down in security... silly MS ;) ) would be to add a short text or rtf document just before that page, similar to the license shown at the beginning, but with a very short overview of SDHelper and TeaTimer.