PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Resident SD Helper Setting: Spybot S & D v1.4?

The_Flying_Scot
2007-02-01, 14:29
On my PC (Windows XP SP2) I have two accounts, one with Adminstrator privileges and one limited user account.

When logged into the administrator account I can select and de-select the Resident SD Helper and Resident TeaTimer (Tools/Resident screen) through the check boxes as normal. However, when I log into the PC on the limited user account, I have discovered that I can only select/de-select the Resident TeaTimer (Tools/Resident screen). I cannot select/de-select the Resident SD Helper on the limited user account. SD Helper remains at the setting I selected when I was logged into the Administrator account.

Does anyone know:
Is this is the intended operation of Spybot; or
is this a bug; or
do I have an installation problem (everything else works without fault, lovely piece of software)?

I have logged this "problem" through the spybot support portal, but I thought I would post a thread here in case anyone else also has this issue or knows the solution?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards

Tha_Flying_Scot

spybotsandra
2007-02-01, 15:16
Hello Scott,

Only when the SDHelper is activated on the admin account, other users can activate it.
Otherwise the SDHelper can't be activated.

Please have a look if the SDHelper.dll is installed.
It should be stored in your Spybot folder.
C:\Programms\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

PepiMK
2007-02-01, 21:56
BHOs (browser helper objects) can only be installed by administrators... and it is intended that users with limited rights should not be allowed to reduce security settings on their own ;)
The TeaTimer will probably go into the same direction.

The_Flying_Scot
2007-02-02, 03:49
Hi PepiMK
Thank you for your post. I am not talking about the BHO setting. I am talking about SD Helper and Teatimer (See my original post).

Teatimer can be selected and de-selected when logged on to the PC using EITHER an account with administrator privileges or when logged in to the PC on a limited user account (Windows XP). However, in the case of SD Helper, on my PC, SD Helper can only be selected or de-selected when logged on using an account with administrator privileges.

When logged in to the PC on a limited user account, the SD Helper setting is as previously set when logged on in the administrator account. In other words SD Helper CANNOT be selected/de-selected when logged into the PC using a limited user account.

Can you please confirm this is the way it should be and I do not have a problem with my Spybot installation

Regards

The_Flying_Scot