PDA

View Full Version : spybot.exe is not installed

neheyen
2005-12-18, 20:58
I've run SpyBot in the past but when I tried to run it, I got an error. After looking in the installation directory, the spybot.exe file was missing. It looked like the rest were there.

I uninstalled the software, downloaded the latest installer and reinstalled. With the same results, spybot.exe is not in the directory. I'm assuming there is something that is preventing me from doing this, but I can't find anything that is the cause for this.

I've got CA's eTrust EZ antivirus, Microsoft's Antispyware and Tenebril's SpyCatcher running and have run LavaSoft's Ad-Adware SE. None seem to find anything.

Any thoughts as to what is causing this? I ran the miniremoval_coolwebsearch_smartkiller.exe as well, but nothing was reported.

Thanks!
Norman

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-18, 22:01
… the spybot.exe file was missing. …spybot.exe is not in the directory.
The default installation directory is:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
The is no:
spybot.exe
The main executable for Spybot-S&D is:
SpybotSD.exe

I've run SpyBot in the past but when I tried to run it, I got an error.
Lets see if we get down to some basics.
What Windows OS are you running?
Installation:
What was the name of installation program you used?
Where did you download it from?
Did you uninstall the previous version of Spybot-S&D before installing the new one?
Did you change any defaults such as the installation directory during installation?
Execution:
How are you attempting to start Spybot-S&D (desktop shortcut, etc.)
What is the error message that you are getting while attempting to start Spybot-S&D?

neheyen
2005-12-19, 04:40
Many thanks for the offer to help. As it turns out, the error occured between the chair and the keyboard...

Tenebril flagged SpyBot as questionable and didn't allow the installation to occur (or apparently run) until I could track down just what it was doing.

Many thanks!

Norman