PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Access Some Sites

tperk100
2007-02-07, 09:59
Running XP Pro, IE7, FireFox, DL-524 D-Link, Kerio Pers Firewall.

When Googling cannot access most "Sponsored Links" web sites (but can access some). Get the "IE cannot display the webpage" message. This is true in either browser for the exact same links. However I CAN access those very same web pages from another computer on the network.

Have re-set IE7 to all default settings and have disabled Kerio and still cannot access sites. Sites are not in "Restricted" Zone.

tperk100
2007-02-07, 21:12
Found answer in another forum.

I had previously installed MVP Hosts. I deleted the host file and now all links work. So at least I know what is doing it. I wil re-install the file and then try to find the entries to delete.

tashi
2007-02-07, 22:55
Glad you fiqured it out.

Be careful of clicking on "Sponsored Links", many are for Rogue anti-spyware programs. There is a reason for entries in the MVPS HOSTS File. ;)

tperk100
2007-02-07, 23:14
Thanks for that bit of advice! I guess it's SURFER BEWARE!

don hillery
2007-08-07, 23:27
Hi all: Having same problem however I do not have an MVP Hosts (I don't think). Anybody got any other suggestion? This really gets annoying. Appreciate all suggestions.
Don

tashi
2007-08-07, 23:49
Hi there.

however I do not have an MVP Hosts (I don't think).

You would have had to download and install it. The Hosts File (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm)

Do you use any other browsers, and if so, is it only IE giving you a cannot display the webpage or page not found error?