PDA

View Full Version : Need straight answer about 4 Ignore System Internals listed in Spybot. Thanks!

bloomcounty
2007-02-08, 03:36
So when you install Spybot, these are automatically listed in the Ignore System Internals:

%JavaDir%\QTJava.zip
install.exe
MsoHtmEd.exe
winnt32.exe

...why exactly is this? Why do they need to be ignored? What would happen if you remove them?

I searched for answers, and the only thing I found was "those are there automatically, don't worry about it" -- but that's not really an answer. :)

I'd like to make an informed decision about whether or not to remove these.

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-08, 07:22
The four (4) default entries Ignore System Internals are:
%JavaDir%\QTJava.zip=Missing shared DLL
install.exe=Wrong app path
MsoHtmEd.exe=Wrong app path
winnt32.exe=Wrong app path
Those entries prevent the detection of the following possible legitimate registry entries as problems when running System Internals:
Category: Missing shared DLL
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\%JavaDir%\QTJava.zip
Filename: %JavaDir%\QTJava.zip
Data:
Category: Wrong app path
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\install.exe
Filename: install.exe
Data:
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MsoHtmEd.exe
Filename: MsoHtmEd.exe
Data:
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\winnt32.exe
Filename: winnt32.exe
Data:

bloomcounty
2007-02-08, 17:29
Thanks for the reply!

So does having those things as being "ignored" potentially allow for some bad stuff to get ignored as well?

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-08, 21:07
"System internals" does not check for "bad stuff". It checks for registry inconsistencies. Please review the following.

From the Spybot help facility:

System internals – Dictionary

The windows registry contains lots of information. It's consistency can be checked with good commercial programs like Symantec™ System Works. But there are some small things I miss with those programs. Here's what SpyBot-S&D searches for:
Missing help files – the registry contains information about the location of some help files. If this information points to incorrect directories, Spybot-S&D will inform you about and allow to fix.

Missing shared DLLs – the registry contains a list of dynamic link libraries, where they are located and how many programs use them. SpyBot-S&D checks if all locations are correct and allows to change them if not.

Application paths – some applications (mostly those registered to a file extension) are registered in the registry. If they are pointing to a program file no longer existing, Spybot-S&D can change their path or delete their entry.

Wrong Uninstall information – every program that has it's own uninstall routine stores some information about it in the registry. If this information is incorrect, Spybot-S&D will tell You about. For example, the uninstall program may have been located inside a temp directory (there are lots of programs that stupid!).

Broken Desktop Links – if one of the links on your desktop links to a file that no longer exists, Spybot-S&D will tell you and allow you to either point the link to another file or delete it.
Warning: Please be aware that changes to these items can corrupt your system! If you are not sure whether a setting is really a problem, You´d better leave it alone!
This warning especially applies if you use Microsoft Office™. This software suite has some registry entries pointing to wrong directories and some even pointing to non-existent help files. I've changed the first, but I wouldn't delete the other one, because they may well point to files that will be installed on that "Install on first use" basis.
As I stated before, the default entries in the Ignore System Internals prevent the detection of possible legitimate registry entries as problems (inconsistencies) when running System Internals.

It should also be noted that "System internals" is an "Advanced mode" tool. Entering "Advanced mode" displays the following warning.

Warning

The advanced mode of Spybot-S&D offers more options than the default mode; but those also include some that can do harm to your system if you are not sure what you are doing. Do you really want to switch to advanced mode?

[Yes] [No]

ME_2&
2007-02-09, 17:41
Always good to read the help. Personally, I like NU2002 (rather than the more 'up-to-date' Symantec offerings /shudder/) but that's merely a personal preference.

My question as regards the System Internals check is more related to the GUI, and particularly the status-bar display. If I do a "Tools/System Internals/Check" scan, the status-bar simply reads "Integrated search for registry inconsistencies" until I either close SSD14 or run(/abort) the "Spybot-S&D/Search & Destroy/Check for problems" scan. Is this simply another display glitch like the Immunization button ±5 'loop' (that happens to some few users)?

The previous version (1.3) seemed to be a bit more informative for me in some ways (SSD13 would display a 'results' in the status bar at the end of a short scan, as I recall) as far as the status-bar 'status' goes in this particular instance. The current Tool does seem to work properly detection-wise since I did a 'quickie test' on it by an un-exclude from the few excludes/ignores I've set for the "Settings/Ignore System Internals". Plus it /does/ catch a few registry inconsistencies that other non-SSD utilities may miss. Fixing those buggers can be an art.

OS=WinME, SSD14 updated to `070202