PDA

View Full Version : connection refused error when trying to download updates...??!!

Adelenpaul
2005-12-20, 17:24
I was trying to see if there were any updates before running a scan. In clicking updates I received this error message:

error retreiving update info file!
Socket error #10061
connection refused

Help! What does this mean? It sounds rather ominous to me. My computer has been running slowly and I'm trying to do some maintenance to fix it. Any suggestions? SpyBot has always been the most helpful!

Thank you ahead of time,
Adele
Removed email address. - tashi

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-20, 17:36
There is a good chance that the cause of the problem is either a firewall or proxy problem.

I my experience, Spybot will normally get a Socket Error # 11004 when it is being blocked by a firewall, but don't rule out a firewall problem. You must authorize SpybotSD.exe to access the internet.

Socket Error # 10061, on the other hand, has been reported by people because they were sitting behind proxy servers and failed to setup Spybot’s proxy settings. If you are sitting behind a proxy server:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update". Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". A pop-up will come up were you can enter the information required.
If you are sitting behind a proxy server and need to know what the settings should be, there are hints in the following article on how to find them:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
The integrated update is not working. Are there any solutions for this?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/10.html
If you are able to correct the problem, please let us know what you found.