PDA

View Full Version : Error given when retrieving update info file

autumnpest
2007-02-12, 20:01
I've been getting this problem since I first got spybot. I just can't seem to retrieve any update info files, much less updating my spybot. "Socket Error # 11004" always pops up..

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-12, 20:32
Primary causes of Socket Errors are firewalls and proxy servers.

Do you have a firewall? If you have a firewall:
You must authorize SpybotSD.exe to access the internet through your firewall. If you have a firewall and are not sure if that is the cause of the problem, you could (for a short period) disable the firewall and see if the updates work properly.
Are you sitting behind a proxy server? If you are sitting behind a proxy server:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update". Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". A pop-up will come up were you can enter the information required.

If you are sitting behind a proxy server and need to know what the settings should be, there are hints in the following article on how to find them:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
The integrated update is not working. Are there any solutions for this?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/10.html
Note: I get a "Socket Error # 11004" if SpybotSD.exe is not authorized to access the internet through my firewall (ZoneAlarm).