PDA

View Full Version : Avenue A is a mystery pest

Leroy
2007-02-13, 11:32
I updated to spybot 1.4 and immediately face a strange problem: every time I open Hot Mail -and nothing else- I am pestered incessantly by a warning that reads, "Spybot S&D Resident shows that you wish to download "/Avenue A, Inc.". This is a known threat. Do you wish to block the download?"

Neither a "yes" or "no" will make this thing go away; it comes right back. It wasn't there with Spybot 1.3. Any suggestions?

I have WinXP-Sp2, Office, Word 2003; Norton's AntiVirus.

spybotsandra
2007-02-13, 11:54
Hello,

This message is created by the bad download blocker for IE, a tool of Spybot - Search and Destroy.

Please run Spybot-S&D and select "Spybot-S&D" --> "Immunize" in the navigation bar on the left. If you do not want to block these items please untick the checkbox and hit "Undo" in the same section of Spybot-S&D. But Warning: now the bad downloads won't be blocked any longer! Maybe you have to restart your computer now.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Leroy
2007-02-14, 11:26
Thanks for that advice. FYI, I changed the settings to automatic blockage, rebooted and now Spybot gives me a single notice that the invader has been blocked. But everytime I return to my Hotmail the notice is repeated.

Now I'm a bit nervous about moving to the other option that you mentioned:hitting "Undo". You warn that "now the bad downloads won't be blocked any longer!" Put that way it would seem -to this ordinary PC-user- that this would make my PC very vulnerable to infection.

Is there a risk-free solution?