2007-02-22, 05:55
Hello,

Windows XP SP2
AVG 7.5 Free
Adaware Free
Windows Explorer 6
Spybot Version 1,3,0,12

I have the following 2 problems:

1) I can't get Spybot to start at all from my Desktop Shortcut. Always get the message "Spybot - Search & Destroy has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" please tell Microsoft about this problem.
2) I have tried uninstalling Spybot so I can reinstall it but get the following message "C:\Program Files\Spybot-Search & Destroy\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall.

Any help on correcting this problem would be appreciated.

Cheers Gary

patmac
2007-02-22, 06:49
Hi, I'm having a similar issue. I went to install 1.4, it failed, now I'm trying to uninstall 1.3. Does unis000.dat actually exist in that folder? It appears in mine. Thanks

spybotsandra
2007-02-22, 12:23
Hello,

Uninstalling via the add/remove programs does not function.

In order to completely uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy, please consider the following link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html

It is important to use the 'very small fix'. This is how to use it:
On our website please right-click the 'very small fix'-link and choose 'Save as'.
The small fix will then be downloaded. Now you can execute it with a double click on its symbol.
If this does not work, you can right click the small fix download and choose 'Merge'.
Now all entries that belong to Spybot - Search & Destroy will be deleted from the registry.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Chiefswon
2007-03-04, 05:35
Hello,

I've tried deleting Spybot-S&D installation folder but I get the following message.

"Cannot Delete SDHelper.dll: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in use."

Any ideas to fix this problem.

Cheers Gary

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-04, 06:35
SDHelper.dll is used with Spybot's IE Resident Browser Helper Object (BHO). Exit all Internet explorer sessions before attempting to delete the file.

Chiefswon
2007-03-05, 06:25
I've tried again and checked Windows Task Manager and there are no Applications running. I am not connected to the internet, and Windows Explorer is not open and running at all while trying to delete the folder.
Should I try deleting it in safe mode ????
Any other ideas ?
Cheers Gary :)

spybotsandra
2007-03-05, 11:57
Hello,

Did you read at all what i wrote?

Chiefswon
2007-03-06, 05:02
Yes.
I went to the link you suggested and followed the first instruction:
"....you can delete the installation folder, then download this very small fix...."
If I can't do the first instruction "delete installation folder" I would have thought there is no reason to do the second "then download this very small fix" if you can't do it in sequence as per instructions, or should I ignore the fact that I can't delete the installation folder and go straight to downloading the small fix?
Is this what you mean by "Did you read at all what I wrote?"
Cheers Gary