PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus for W95

JJsum
2007-02-25, 21:10
Can anyone reccommend an antivirus software that runs on W95?

Thanks.

tashi
2007-02-26, 02:48
Hello, you could try Avast (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html).

JJsum
2007-03-03, 07:34
Tashi,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have finally installed avast! and I assume it is working. I was taken aback by its country of origin. Its still difficult to not be suspicious of former communist countries. But given the increasing level of duplicity that exists in all levels of my own country's governments, what's the worry? Besides there's nothing on my computer of interest to anyone but me and my family.

Avast comes with some extras my last software did not provide, so that is a plus. It also did not cause the same problem that, unbeknownst to me, had been caused by the last upgrade of my previous vendor.

My previous vendor was Computer Associates with eTrust EZ Antivirus. I had been with them for about 5 years. About 12 days before my annual renewal date, it stopped its automatic updates. CA's customer service is one of the worse I have ever encountered. When I finally got in contact with someone, I was given a set of instructions to follow to fix the update problem. However these instrustion took the program off line and I had no protection. The customer service rep was apparently at a loss on how to fix the new problem she created. After the renewal date passed, I heard no more from them. {On the other hand maybe they were trying to weed out their remaining W95 users.}

For about 2 years, I suffered a problem of extremely slow use of my printer, as well as certain programs. This started suddenly one day. After CA's antivirus software became inoperable, that problem totally disappeared.

So overall, I am pleased to be done with them and I thank you for taking the time to suggest avast!

Rednose
2007-03-08, 02:25
Tashi is right. Avast is the best choice for you :)

Greetz, Red.