PDA

View Full Version : [Solved] Vista Malware Monitoring Issue

andybuonviri
2007-02-26, 04:05
I just dowloaded and installed 1.5, from the file sbsdtools15beta.exe that I found in a link in these forums. I installed it over 1.4, let it restart my system, and then went to Security Center, Malware Settings, but it doesn't show up. Only AVG and Defender show up in the list. If I click on the Show Me.... links, under Virus Protection I see AVG and Norton (which has been uninstalled but still shows up) and then Defender and Norton under AntiSpyWare. Any ideas?

andybuonviri
2007-03-01, 04:14
After reading all the bad stuff about Norton vs. Spybot, I was wondering if my problem could be related to that. It seems unlikely, but I don't know enough about how this stuff works. My Vista computer came with Norton. I immediately uninstalled it. Then I installed AVG, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, and Ad-aware. Now when I click on the links under Malware Protection I see AVG and Norton Internet Security, and Defender and Norton Internet Security. Is there any chance that Norton is still blocking Spybot from working properly? Even though it's been supposedly uninstalled, does it leave behind something nasty?

andybuonviri
2007-05-28, 00:09
I never got any answers to this, and I searched the forums for "vista" but didn't see any relevant posts. Has anyone else had this problem, where Spybot and TeaTimer are installed under Vista, but don't show up in the Malware Protection area of Security Center? I installed the Beta version (1.5) of Spybot but it still reports it as version 1.4, and I have 1.5.0.6 TeaTimer.

tashi
2007-05-28, 01:05
Hi there.

Has anyone else had this problem, where Spybot and TeaTimer are installed under Vista, but don't show up in the Malware Protection area of Security Center?

I noted the same on my Vista machine. I will ask what the status is from this end.

I installed the Beta version (1.5) of Spybot but it still reports it as version 1.4, and I have 1.5.0.6 TeaTimer.

Spybot-S&D is at Version 1.4, it is the Beta tools that are at higher version numbers.

noel-pr7
2007-06-04, 19:42
I never got any answers to this, and I searched the forums for "vista" but didn't see any relevant posts. Has anyone else had this problem, where Spybot and TeaTimer are installed under Vista, but don't show up in the Malware Protection area of Security Center? I installed the Beta version (1.5) of Spybot but it still reports it as version 1.4, and I have 1.5.0.6 TeaTimer.

The sbsdtools15beta.exe file does NOT include an updated Spybot program, andybuonviri. only updated tools. that's why Spybot is still at version 1.4.

koshthetrekkie
2007-08-10, 02:19
Has anyne got an answer to this yet. Have just installed 1.5 beta on Vista Business and it doesn't show up in Security Center either?

I didn't install 1.4 first, just got full program from BN File Forum.

GT500
2007-08-10, 05:25
Does anyone download the beta from the official beta page (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsdbeta/index.html)? ;)

Anyway, it sounds like it's a known issue, so I imagine that a fix will show up in either the next beta, or in an update. And yes, I noticed this issue as well, I just assumed that it wasn't showing up because Windows Defender was listed as my computer's anti-spyware software. I guess I didn't realise that it would display more than one software in the same category.

BTW: andybuonviri, the Norton Removal Tool (http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/) should be able to get rid of some of the registry entries that were left behind when Norton was removed, and might even prevent Norton from showing up in the Windows Security Center.

PepiMK
2007-08-10, 11:29
Hmmm right, the full 1.5 installer in exe format did not have the entries to register and run the WSC service (the msi has, but is not available for download :red: ). Fixed :)

koshthetrekkie
2007-08-10, 22:57
Well a direct link somewhere on the home or download page would probably help.:)

PepiMK do you mean you've fixed the issue for the next beta exe or have you fixed the current exe that is available for download as if so should I uninstall the curent 1.5 and then install with the new beta exe?

Thanks

PepiMK
2007-08-12, 16:11
No, it's not available for download yet ;) There's another Vista thing I'm looking at before making the RC available.

GT500
2007-08-14, 06:13
No, it's not available for download yet ;) There's another Vista thing I'm looking at before making the RC available.

A release candidate? And even with a new Vista thing? I can't wait to try it out. ;)