PDA

View Full Version : To immunise, or not?

Alan D
2007-02-28, 09:54
My question concerns the use of Spywareblaster and Spybot S&D's immunisation together. I have Spywareblaster installed and enabled, but although I use Spybot as a scanner (together with several other programs) I haven't so far used the Spybot 'immunise' feature because I wasn't sure how it would 'mix' with Spywareblaster's protection. I was concerned that using both might actually mess things up and diminish the protection rather than improve it.

I'd be grateful is someone could explain. IS it safe to immunise with Spybot as well as using Spywareblaster? And if it is, is there any point? (i.e. am I just duplicating what is basically the same kind of protection?)
Cheers.

md usa spybot fan
2007-02-28, 15:29
You are correct that the two provide basically the same kind of protection:

Spybot's immunization routine adds entries to the system registry that are used by Internet Explorer. This:
Blocks the download/execution of selected ActiveX scripts.
Blocks the storing of cookies from some sites.
Places sites in the restricted zone.
By domain (name).
By range (IP Address)

Enabling protection in SpywareBlaster adds entries to the system registry that are used by Internet Explorer. This:
Blocks the download/execution of selected ActiveX scripts.
Blocks the storing of cookies from some sites.
Places sites in the restricted zone by domain (name).
However, although there is some overlap in registry entries, by using both together you get added protection. The actual numbers:

Spybot as of 2007-02-28 updates.
SpywareBlaster as of 2007-02-27 updates.

.................. Restricted .. Restricted
........................ zone ........ zone .... ActiveX ..... Cookies
................... by domain .... by range .... blocked ..... blocked

Spybot ................. 2972 .......... 70 ........ 970 ......... 139
SpywareBlaster ......... 3074 ........... 0 ....... 3766 ......... 209
Both together .......... 5031 .......... 70 ....... 3948 ......... 306

As far conflicts between the products, remember that if you use Spybot S&D and other products like IE-SPYAD, SpywareBlaster, etc. together, there is an overlap of some of the protection offered. If you undo or disable the protection in one product, it may remove some of the protection installed by the other. You should re-immunize or re-enable the protection in the other products as appropriate.

Alan D
2007-02-28, 16:30
That is a wonderfully detailed, clear answer. Thank you very much.