PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of a U3 version soon?

bighassle2ask1question
2005-12-23, 01:56
I bought this SanDisk USB jump drive thinking it was simply a USB jump drive.

Turns out it's a "U3 Smart Drive (http://www.u3.com/)", which can have special 'U3' compatible apps installed on it which then then be run from any computer with the jump drive connected.

The first program I thought would be good to have on something like that, is Spybot S&D.

This is the Developer's Area (http://www.u3.com/developers/default.aspx) for the U3 standard.

I hope this helps you. If you create a U3 version, it would certainly help me.

bitman
2005-12-24, 06:24
Personally I don't think this would be useful in the case of Spybot S&D. Not meaning that it couldn't be run from a flash drive, or CD for that matter, since it already can.

The portion I see as unnecessary is to use the U3 SDK and place all files on the flash device as mentioned in this portion of the Developer Forum Overview.

When the U3 smart drive is removed from the host computer, all system settings, program files, and application data is removed so that no personal or private information remains behind.
Instead of this, the entire Spybot S&D program can be placed on a flash drive or even a read only device such as a CD. Once the program executes it creates it's default configuration and data storage location beneath the 'All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy' folder on the system drive of the PC. This allows the log and other PC specific data to be stored on the PC it relates to, rather then being taken to the next PC where it would have no meaning.

The U3 idea sounds fine when it's user related data that should move with each specific user. However, it doesn't make sense when the data relates to the PC.

I believe that Spybot might already function properly with these flash devices, but it would need to be tested to be certain. If you have one and would like to test, give it a try and report back what works and what doesn't. There are even some tricks with default configuration that can be made to the 'original' copy on the flash/CD to pre-configure your choices when moving to a fresh PC where Spybot S&D hasn't been installed yet.

Nate114
2006-06-22, 05:50
I bought this SanDisk USB jump drive thinking it was simply a USB jump drive.

Turns out it's a "U3 Smart Drive (http://www.u3.com/)", which can have special 'U3' compatible apps installed on it which then then be run from any computer with the jump drive connected.

The first program I thought would be good to have on something like that, is Spybot S&D.

This is the Developer's Area (http://www.u3.com/developers/default.aspx) for the U3 standard.

I hope this helps you. If you create a U3 version, it would certainly help me.

I am not the maker of SB but i am currently working on a version of SB for the U3 drive, that will create the temp files on the u3 drive scan the computer for possible threats and destroy them like regular sb, the only thing is it takes time, i will keep you informed if i get a version made for the u3.

alanderego
2006-10-17, 10:13
I am not the maker of SB but i am currently working on a version of SB for the U3 drive, that will create the temp files on the u3 drive scan the computer for possible threats and destroy them like regular sb, the only thing is it takes time, i will keep you informed if i get a version made for the u3.

I would be interested in a U3 version.
Not because it erases every trace from the host, but that U3 installs so easily.
I love and trust Spybot and it helps checking computers with one of these versus loading it on every computer I work on.

Thanks for your help...

Alan

PepiMK
2006-10-17, 10:54
Well, the makers of U3 contacted us quite some time before the release, asking about our opinion. I told them that the concept would need some improvements regarding security, since it really is bad in that regard. But it seems U3 wanted to hear only positive feedback, no real criticisms, and they didn't answer any further email after I told them there were still some big steps to take regarding security ;)

U3 not only installs easily - it's a very easy way to infect computers.

Therefore we favor PortableApps (we've recently made some special changes for use from USB sticks - on which it worked before anyway, but some improvements like putting the recovery onto the stick itself were nice) for those who need to carry software around instead ;)

alanderego
2006-10-17, 19:08
Too bad about U3.
Thanks for the clarification.
Is the portable apps version ready?

Alan