PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Detection Library and Detection Support Library

evollbach
2007-03-02, 18:57
My search for updates result lists Advanced Detection Library and Detection Support Library. Should I download and install these? What are they?

Thanks,
Beth

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-02, 19:23
Absolutely !!!

Make sure that you download the following updates:
Advanced detection library 1.5.1 - !Advanced detection routines update (293 KB) - 2007-01-16
Detection support library 1.5 - !Detection support routines update (265 KB) - 2007-01-05
Other words of advice:
Unless you are running Spybot on a Windows 95 system make sure that you are running Spybot 1.4 with the latest updates by going into Spybot > Help > About. Does the screen say?
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
Latest detection update: 2007-02-28
In general, you should download everything found when you do a "Search for updates".

evollbach
2007-03-02, 23:37
Unless you are running Spybot on a Windows 95 system make sure that you are running Spybot 1.4 with the latest updates
My operating system in Win98, and I'm running Spybot 1.3 with the latest detection update (2/28). I knew there was a version 1.4 out but didn't install it because I read about a problem with it (which I forget). Because my operating system is Win98, I have enough problems. :-) So I've been installing just the detection updates.

You say "Unless you are running Spybot on a Windows 95 system," and that makes me worry because Windows 98 is so much like Windows 95. Is it really a good idea to install version 1.4 on Win98?

Beth

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-03, 17:01
Beth:

I knew there was a version 1.4 out but didn't install it because I read about a problem with it (which I forget).
The only real problem with Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 is that it was released with a defect in the GUI of the pop-up for registry changes in the optional TeaTimer 1.4 facility. See:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=72193&postcount=2
On the other hand there was a severe defect with TeaTimer 1.3. If you did a "Deny change" and used the "Remember this decision" option, the initially change would be denied, however, all subsequent like changes will be allowed.

You say "Unless you are running Spybot on a Windows 95 system," and that makes me worry because Windows 98 is so much like Windows 95.
The code in Spybot 1.4 (SpybotSD.exe) uses an "EndMenu Function". Windows 95 does not support the "EndMenu Function", Windows 98 does. See:
EndMenu Function (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/resources/menus/menureference/menufunctions/endmenu.asp)
You should upgrade to Spybot 1.4 to take advantage of the improved detection and removal capabilities.