PDA

View Full Version : Copy Updates from one computer to another?

N1800
2007-03-06, 17:34
Greetings,
Please could you advise me of a way of copying updates from one machine to another?
In my spare time I look after several computers for charities and always install Spybot on them. When they are returned to me as many often are I like to update them with the latest MS and other updates. As I only have a very slow dialup internet connection I tried to copy the Spybot S&D updates from one already updated computer to another. (C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates) The second computer tells me there are no newer updates available but it will not run a scan, telling me "You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater."
I had hoped there would be a simple adjustment to the files "online.ini" or "downloaded.ini" which would simulate the real download.
I searched the forum with the expression"copy+update+computer" and found several recommendations from Spybotsandra to download and install 'spybotsd_includes.exe'. I did this but it seems I still need to download many megabytes of updates to each machine that I attempt to update.
I would appreciate and advice or suggestions you could give me.

Many thanks for all your contributions to the forum which has already given me answers to other queries I had.

Best Wishes

N

Tom.K
2007-03-06, 19:22
You can try this (This will copy includes {Spybots.sbi,Trojans.sbi...}):
Go to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes
Put Floppy disk into Floppy disk unit (A:\)
Copy files and paste (how much you can) on Floppy disk.
Eject Floppy disk from computer.
Put Floppy disk to the second computer.
Cut the files and paste on the second computer.
Or:
If are updates in C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates
Then open Zip files and extract to the valid directory.
(Ini files are not needed to extract)
lang.* - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Languages
includes.*- C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes
desc.* and help.* - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Help
Other I can`t remember.

N1800
2007-03-08, 10:54
Greetings Tom.K
Thank you very much for your very helpful reply.
This morning I copied the file named "includes" and have saved what could have been several hours of download time. I know the information will certainly save me many many hours of on line time in the future.
Thank you again very much and sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner to your very prompt answer to my question.

All the very best wishes

N