PDA

View Full Version : Spybot- Distorted Message

Jimzhr
2005-12-24, 02:52
I have been using SpyBot for several weeks successfuuly and have become familiar with the popup message where I must select "Allow" or Deny(?) a registry change. Somewhere along the line this popup message has changed slightly. It appears distorted with no option to allow or deny the change. The only portion which is still there is "REmember this change". So my only choice is to "X" out the message which I believe is just denying the change when I often want to allow it. Hope that makes sense to someone!! So, I have tried System Restore but that option is not working well on this machine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled SpyBot but the message still looks the same.

I tool Spybot off the computer with Add/REmove Programs. Then went out and downloaded a new one. Ran that and got the 'bad' message again. I'm not sure I'm describing the problem well enough. It's as if spybot is trying to send the popup that I have seen many times but when I view it, it is somehow distorted and where I used to click to either allow or deny the change, is just not there.. I think the message is the same as it has always been except that most of the popup is unreadable now. Any suggestions?

Zenobia
2005-12-24, 05:23
Hi.Please have a look at this post.
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=592&postcount=2

pahumada
2005-12-24, 21:16
In the same window (I believe), the checkbox text "Remenber this decision", is in front of buttons (Allow and Deny), please see attachment.

But there is something else, because I have set "Display dialog when blocking", no "Ask ...", therefore this window should display only a OK button, isn't it ?

Regards, and thank you for Spybot S&D.

Zenobia
2005-12-24, 22:04
But there is something else, because I have set "Display dialog when blocking", no "Ask ...", therefore this window should display only a OK button, isn't it ?

No,that setting is for the Internet Explorer bad download blocker,and doesn't affect teatimer.
Please have a look here,for a better explanation.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

The second level of protection is Spybot's "Resident SD helper", which is also known as "Browser Helper to block bad downloads", "Spybot's-SD Resident" and "Resident IE" (depending on which Spybot S&D panel you may be on or how it is identified in the system tray icon). This is an active protection. It is a BHO (Browser Helper Object) that blocks the download of bad (malicious) files. There are three selectable modes that this can operate in: (1) Block all pages silently (2) Display dialog when blocking (3) Ask for blocking confirmation.

The third level of protection is the TeaTimer. TeaTimer is an active protection that monitors changes to certain system Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object, etc. When any change is detected to these Registry keys a pop-up dialog is issued asking you to allow or deny the change and if you want TeaTimer to remember the decision. TeaTimer also monitors processes that are initiated in the system. If the process being initiated matches a list of processes in Spypot's detection files, the process is terminated and a dialog is issued to notify you and allow you to make choices as to how to handle the same process during future detections.