PDA

View Full Version : Error: No Disk in Drive

jobsetter104
2007-03-08, 02:30
After Years of use i have but only one complaint. somehow the SBSD 1.4 has decided i dont have a hard drive to check. This machine is about 5 weeks old and uses a New WD240GB SATA HD. NO NEW hardware has been installed since build date. Running World of Warcraft and City of Heros.
i installed SBSD as soon i was done building. After weeks of constant use on this PC i was stunned to see the "Insert Disk" error pop up.

DXDIAG:
Time of this report: 3/7/2007, 19:45:53
Machine name: GAMEZILLA
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Jobsetter104
System Model: GameZero
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/12/06 15:51:40 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3008MB RAM
Page File: 293MB used, 4600MB available
Windows Dir: H:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Also running:
SpywareBlaster v3.5.1
avast! V4.7 Home Edition <Anti-Virus>

I Uninstalled and re-Installed with the same results "Insert Disk".
Was there something in a resent patch? my HD is Labeled H: by default. must i change it to C:? i have an internal Card reader that is labeled C, E, F and G and the CD/DVD Rom is D.

any information or links to a cure would be very helpful. kinda feel unsafe without SBSD.

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-08, 06:16
The problem is caused by having a device with removable media configured as drive letter C. To solve the problem either:
Insert the media in the device.
--- or ---
Change the drive letter assignment for the device to a letter other than C.
Please have a look at this link for similar error:
"There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive \Device\harddisk\Dr1" Error Message When You Start Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330137

jobsetter104
2007-03-08, 08:46
changing the drive letter on one of the card reader drives did allow for function of scan. Thank You :bigthumb:

However what caused it after a month of use? :spider:
I will continue to observe it closely and will report what i find. :blink:

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-08, 15:19
I'm glad you got your problem fixed.

I don't know specifically what caused the problem or why it only occurred after a month. I believe that the problem itself has its origin back in the DOS days. When PCs were first introduced they had one floppy drive, always drive A. Later you could get PCs with two floppy drives always drives A and B. When HDDs (hard disk drives) were introduced they were always drive C.

For some reason, even today you should maintain the following drive assignments:
Drive A: Floppy drive.
Drive B: Floppy drive.
Drive C: HDD.
I guess that parts of the operating system, Microsoft APIs (Application Program Interfaces) or even the application compilers assume that if drive C is assigned that it is a HDD and should be available.

There have been problems in the past with Spybot itself looking for specific drives. I do remember an incident were people with non optical drives (Iomega Zip drives) assigned to drive D were getting the same type of message and it turned out to be a detection rule problem.