PDA

View Full Version : Firewall being constantly turned off

stevezygote
2007-03-11, 14:16
I've searched the Spybot S & D forums and can find nothing that specifically addresses this issue.

Saturday, yesterday, I noticed that my firewall had inexplicably been turned off. About a month ago I got a severe worm infection which hijacked my browser. I had become complacent and had let my guard down. What I didn't realize that at that time something had turned off my firewall then. Anyway, long and short of it was that I had to do a destructive reformat in order to get ride of the virus.

Now I notice that my firewall is being constantly turned off. F-Secure (marketed to me by my ISP as Shaw Secure) warns me of these attempts which I disallow. I did a full system scan with Microsoft's One Care System and it identified at least one serious issue but did not (that I can see) provide me with a report. I subsequentally did a "Shaw Secure" full system scan and it found nothing. I did a Spybot S & D scan and it gave me the report below...

I can't seem to turn my firewall back on. It states something about group policies. I am "owner" and have administrative rights on my XP Home Edition SP2 box. Every ten minutes or so I get a warning from Shaw Secure that a system change attempt is being made and I disallow it.

My next steps will be, among other things, to go to Microsoft's Update Site to see if I'm required any updates, although I have automatic updates turned on. If anyone can offer ANY insights, short of having to do a destructive reformat again, I'd be MOST appreciative.

--- Search result list ---
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisabled: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windowsfirewall\domainprofile\enablefirew all!=dword:1

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisabled: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windowsfirewall\standardprofile\enablefir ewall!=dword:1

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallOverride: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallOverride!=dword:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.SP2Update: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\DoNotAllowXPSP2!=dw ord:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.UpdateDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify!=dword:0

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc\Start!=W=2

stevezygote
2007-03-11, 21:41
Having seen Panda Antivirus and Firewall linked on the Spybot S&D website I went there and took them up on their offer of a free scan. They found a number of issues. I have subsequently become a beta tester for them. Have as yet to install. Also went to Microsoft's Knowledge Base and found article KB892350, pertaining to the resurrection of the firewall under special circumstances. Do......RUN...CMD....IN DOS WINDOW then issue the command netsh Winsock reset -- provided you have administrator rights. This seems to have fixed my problem for now. I will be keeping close watch on it, you can be sure! I hope my experience can benefit someone else.

pskelley
2007-03-29, 12:33
Member indicates they have resolved this issue. I am closing the topic to keep others from posting in it.

Thanks