PDA

View Full Version : Recent updates takes forever to download ??

patallen
2007-03-14, 19:30
I am trying to update my spybot, and it takes forever to download, or the software locks itself and dont respond anymore.
the file is quite small, 8k, detection rules i think.

I am on a network, and there is a red firebox.

any idea ?

thanks

Pat Allen

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-14, 20:56
Pat Allen:

I am on a network, …
Are you in a commercial (corporate) environment?
If so, you are the cause of the problem. There are hundreds of thousands of corporate users essentially stealing bandwidth from the legitimate, non-corporate, users of Spybot.

There is a special product for corporate users of Spybot S&D called Spybot S&D Intranet Server. This product allows the distribution of Spybot updates from within the corporate network. For more information on corporate licenses and Spybot S&D Intranet Server, see:
Welcome to Safer Networking Limited
http://www.safer-networking.ie/en/home/index.html
Spybot S&D Intranet Server
http://www.safer-networking.ie/en/iuserver/index.html
If not, my apologies.
The update downloads for today (2007-03-14) consisted of:
Regular updates:
Detection rules: Trojans - !Updated base trojan horse detections (181 KB) - 2007-03-14 Actual size 185783 bytes
Detection rules: Update - !Most up-to-date detections (403 KB) - 2007-03-14
Actual size 413317 bytes
English descriptions - English target descriptions file (195 KB) - 2007-03-14
Actual size 200049 bytes
Optional updates:
Espanol language - Spanish language file (25 KB) - 2007-03-14
Actual size 26329 bytes
ßDetection rules (beta) - Updated detections (7 KB) - 2007-03-14
Actual size 7764 bytes
If you are having problems, the only thing that I can suggest is that after you do a "Search for updates" and before clicking "Download updates" that you change the download server as described in item #4 of the following article during successive weekly updates until you find a download sever that works better for you:
How to update the program to the newest version
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html
One additional hint: Avoid choosing the first sever in the list since it is selected by default for everyone who has not updated from Spybot 1.3 to Spybot 1.4 and if you have not updated from Spybot 1.3 to Spybot 1.4 that is the cause of your problem.

patallen
2007-03-15, 22:44
thanks for the reply, even thoug i feel a bit of hostility. yes i am in a company that uses an intranet, the problem is that the computer guy is a total incompetent and refuses to fix our computers. small company you can say.

==>What confuses me is that i been able to download almost everything that needed to be downloaded, except 2 files. I did try again today, same result. It just stuck there. Why the others files did downloaded perfectly ?

I dont feel that i am stealing anything, i am just pissed off by the lack of proper maintenance on my computer at my job, i use spybot at home and i like it so...anyway the computer guy gave me administrator permissions to effectively try to fix my problems myself, so... if you feel that i souldnt do that, i will just get away, without stealing anything.

thanks.