PDA

View Full Version : Disable Resident Pop-Up's for Whitelist Items?

MartyTX
2007-03-15, 20:56
I use Spybot-SD Resident whitelists for several startup program registry changes that always occur when the computer boots up.

Is there a way to prevent Resident's pop-up message for whitelist changes? Since I've already approved the changes with the whitelist, I don't need a pop-up telling me that Resident is allowing whitelist changes. If it's on the whitelist, I know it's allowed; I'd prefer not getting a pop-up telling me again.

Or, if there isn't a way to stop the whitelist pop-up, is there a way to have a whitelist pop-up message displayed for a shorter period of time?

Thanks,
Marty

md usa spybot fan
2007-03-15, 21:45
Is there a way to prevent Resident's pop-up message for whitelist changes?
No.

Or, if there isn't a way to stop the whitelist pop-up, is there a way to have a whitelist pop-up message displayed for a shorter period of time?
No.

The cause of the problem is probably because TeaTimer's snapshot files are out of sync with the registry. TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshots were taken.

The solution to the problem is to refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files after making changes to the registry such as changing startup entries, your home page, etc. There are two ways to do this:Refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Manually exit TeaTimer immediately prior to system shutdown or restart.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is speculation, but I believe this behavior is because of the following:
It appears that when TeaTimer starts the snapshot files are read into memory and maintained there. The snapshot files only appear to be rewritten when TeaTimer 1.3 or 1.4 closes. During system shutdown (or restart) it appears that TeaTimer is terminated before it has a chance to rewrite the snapshot files.
There is a beta test version of TeaTimer available that appears to overcome this problem. To download the ßTeaTimer 1.5:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
Page down the option tree until you see a section titled "Web update" (just past half way down).
In the "Web update" section check the following option:
Display available beta versions.
Click Spybot-S&D (left pane).
Click Search for Updates (right pane).
When the list of available updates appears, check the following item:
ßTeaTimer 1.5 - !Resident protection update (1 MB) - 2007-02-14
Click Download Updates.

MartyTX
2007-03-16, 01:20
Thanks for the prompt and detailed response.

Based on the information you provided, I don't think there is really a "problem". TeaTimer is doing what it is supposed to do: it is popping-up to let me know that a program is changing a registry entry that I have already approved via my whitelist.

For example, SpySweeper is one of the startup programs on my whitelist. It changes a registry entry each time it starts up. So, even if updated TeaTimer snapshots are created when I shut the computer down, the next time I boot the computer, TeaTimer will advise me that SpySweeper is making a change that is on the whitelist.

I would like pop-ups to be "exceptions" - events that are not pre-approved on a whitelist. IMHO, a pop-up that echoes a whitelist is redundant.

I should have made it clear that I had already downloaded and evaluated TeaTimer 1.5, and the pop-up still occurs. Again, it isn't a "problem" - apparently it's by design, and I'd prefer a different design.

Overall, SpyBot is one GREAT program!! :bigthumb: