PDA

View Full Version : Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer

Pages : [1] 2

ElPiedra
2005-10-29, 04:02
This is a provisory solution to fix the problem the bug in the pop-ups checkbox buttons

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/9192/sbma9zb.gif

1.- Download "ResHacker" from here (http://delphi.icm.edu.pl/ftp/tools/ResHack.zip)

2.- Deactivate the TeaTimer

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings)

3.- Used "ResHacker" to open TeaTimer.exe (Should be in C:\Program Files\Spybot
- Search & Destroy).

http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/9806/reshack17yd.th.png (http://img456.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reshack17yd.png)

4.- Press Ctrl+F and searched for the word: decision

You will see this code:

object cbRemember: TCheckBox
Left = 8
Top = 160
Width = 339
Height = 17
Anchors = [akLeft, akTop, akRight]
Caption = '&Remember this decision.'
TabOrder = 2
end

5.- Change the value "Top" from 160 to 190
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/548/reshack024rt.th.png (http://img475.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reshack024rt.png)

6.- Press in "Compile Script" and File > Save

7.- Close the "Resource Hacker" and activate the TeaTimer again

This is the final result:

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/5186/sbok2jo.gif

-------------------

More information of this bug in:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2005-06-22.html

*Note* This information was rescued of the old forum

English snapshots:

CyberGhost
2005-10-29, 04:23
hey that worked! Thanks a lot! :D

Nick-YF19
2005-10-29, 08:58
That did work, thanks alot!

mikey
2005-10-29, 19:11
Thx ElPiedra, good one!

locin
2005-10-30, 13:23
Very timely! I just started looking for a solution to this problem, being one of those who have had to disable Teatimer. Thanks a lot for this fix. locin.:D

pudelein
2005-11-03, 03:16
Here's another satisfied customer! Muchas Gracias, ElPiedra!

A. Sergio
2005-11-03, 09:16
Thanks and congratulations for ResHacker ElPiedra: neat, nice'n easy.

zapjb
2005-11-03, 13:57
Thanks a lot.:D

murdo
2005-11-03, 21:20
Well i figured this one out for myself using P.E Explorer (similar to ResHacker but more powerful) and i thought that people might not want to do it themselves so I created a patch program that will do it for you. I have sent it to the spybot authors, don't know if they will include it or not though!

If anyone has webspace I can put the RAR file I would be happy to email it to them, I've also attached it to this post.

amtbcn
2005-11-05, 14:54
perfect! thanks a lot!

tomfox
2005-11-06, 11:35
Thnx,from Germany with love:D :)

dk2005
2005-11-08, 11:41
So is this fix for teatimer an official fix?

spybotsandra
2005-11-08, 12:49
Hello,

You can use this fix until the next upgrade with the fix is out.
So it is an official unofficial fix ;)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

tooth
2005-11-09, 17:40
...you simply didn't make a fixed teatimer.exe available for download yet.

there are various ones accessable throughout the web if one searches a bit but unfortunately not on the developer site at all!

thats what i call bad service, sorry.:(

spybotsandra
2005-11-09, 17:42
Hello,

Because it will be integrated in the next version upgrade.

Best regards
Sandra
Team SPybot

mike_r
2005-11-10, 06:32
Thank you El Piedra! A good fix ;)
Mike

tooth
2005-11-11, 13:09
Hello,

Because it will be integrated in the next version upgrade.

Best regards
Sandra
Team SPybot

...it would have been much much easier and, first of all much better SERVICE
if you'd offer the fixed 'exe' for download.

repeating the same 'answer' again and again does not make it better though.

sorry folks but thats the way i see it and i think you have always been very critical on several issues so you really should be more open for critics as well.

uno meister
2005-11-12, 18:30
Really worked. Thanks.

Mr_Refney
2005-11-13, 10:32
...it would have been much much easier and, first of all much better SERVICE
if you'd offer the fixed 'exe' for download.

repeating the same 'answer' again and again does not make it better though.

sorry folks but thats the way i see it and i think you have always been very critical on several issues so you really should be more open for critics as well.

SER·VICE - 4.a. An act or a variety of work done for others, especially for pay

Yeah, after paying $40 for this software, where's the service? Oh wait, it's free!!!

Jeez, take some personal responsibility for your p.c. and spend the 60 seconds to do the fix yourself. It'll be educational.

ETPETP
2005-11-13, 15:58
When is the next release? This is a very nasty problem to say the least!

tashi
2005-11-13, 21:20
Hello.

There will be a new upgrade once it is ready for release.

Have a great day. :)

murdo
2005-11-14, 10:41

Yeah, after paying $40 for this software, where's the service? Oh wait, it's free!!!

Jeez, take some personal responsibility for your p.c. and spend the 60 seconds to do the fix yourself. It'll be educational.

Well said Mr_Refney!

The software is great, is free, and you can't expect the developers to just drop everything and fix every little annoyance as soon as it is discovered, especially when they aren't getting paid for it. The issue has been reported, it has also been fixed for now, as well as integrated with the next release. END OF!

mcunix
2005-11-19, 01:04
The fix works! THANK YOU.

As for those who are complaining about a FREE, very valuable tool - find another forum to whine in!

mcunix
2005-11-19, 01:18
Well said Mr_Refney!

The software is great, is free, and you can't expect the developers to just drop everything and fix every little annoyance as soon as it is discovered, especially when they aren't getting paid for it. The issue has been reported, it has also been fixed for now, as well as integrated with the next release. END OF!

Actually, they are getting paid for it -- with DONATIONS. Please make one.

I have no association with Spybot. I'm a Mac guy. I just know a good tool when I see one.

JSchwage
2005-11-23, 17:51
Thanks for the fix! It works perfectly. :D

Palermo
2005-11-24, 14:16
Good job!
Thanks!

spotbotcreation
2005-11-26, 05:50
Hi

I chose the fix murdo posted and I was able to get the pop-up to display properly.

Thankyou and I am glad I found this forum to come to for help.

pfelelep
2005-11-26, 10:07
thanks you so much ElPiedra. :bigthumb:

steve_podleski
2005-11-26, 22:50
If anyone has webspace I can put the RAR file I would be happy to email it to them, I've also attached it to this post.

When I try the patch, I get the following error:

C:\Program Files\Spybot-Searc&Destroy\TeaTimer.exe File not foun, or File access error.

The file is listed in that directory. What could be the problems

mcunix
2005-11-26, 23:01
When I try the patch, I get the following error:

C:\Program Files\Spybot-Searc&Destroy\TeaTimer.exe File not foun, or File access error.

The file is listed in that directory. What could be the problems

Use the Browse button and go find TeaTimer.exe

alpha24
2005-11-27, 13:53
Hi Warrior. Downloaded your patch (for which, thanks) but when I hit Start I got the message "TeaTimer.exe file not found or access error" although I do
have the file in the S&D folder. What do you suggest,please.? Regards,Alpha. :confused:

alpha24
2005-11-27, 15:20

Hi,mc. Only just seen your posting. So what do I do when I have found it.?
(Please see my posting). Alpha.

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-27, 15:33
alpha24:

Try "Open" and then "Start".

alpha24
2005-11-27, 18:10
Hi again Warrior. In the context of my earlier posting today, I think I should mention that my teatimer.exe file seems to be quite "dead"!! No amount of clicking will activate it and,having installed ResHacker, when I try to open tt.exe I get a ResHacker message "C\unzipped\Reshack\TeaTimer.exe no longer exists" It certainly doesn't exist in that location (where all the ResHack files are) but is in the S&D folder,although apparently defunct.!! Confusion reigns.!! Advice,please.? Regards, Alpha. :confused:

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-27, 18:58
alpha24:

Which fix are you trying?
ElPiedra's "ResHacker" fix from this post:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=423&postcount=1
murdo's "&D14 GUI Patch.zip"patch from this post:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=775&postcount=9
Do you have a copy of the original (unmodified) TeaTimer.exe?
TeaTimer Properties
TeaTimer
Type of file: Application
Description: System settings protector
Size: 1 34 MB (1,415,824 bytes)
Size on disk: 1 35 MB (1.417.216 bytes)
Modified: Tuesday. May 31. 2005, 12:04:00 AM

steve_podleski
2005-11-28, 07:47

I did use the Browse button and got that error. When I logged on as administrator, the patch worked.

alpha24
2005-11-28, 13:07
alpha24:

1)Which fix are you trying?

2)Do you have a copy of the original (unmodified) TeaTimer.exe?

Thanks md. 1) I've tried both. With Piedra's patch, when I tried to open TeaTimer.exe with ResHacker I got the message "C\unzipped\ResHack\TeaTimer.exe no longer exists." With Murdo's patch,when I hit Start I got the message "TeaTimer.exe file not found or access
error". I do have the file in the S&D folder,but (as I've said above) it seems
to be defunct.!! My TTX file (1.34MB) was modified on 31/05/05 at 01:04 but I'm not clear how to relate this 24 hour system time to your 12:04 am time, as on the 24 hour system this would be pm. In any case,there's not much of a margin.!! Cheers, Alpha.

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-28, 16:01
alpha24:

If TeaTimer is no longer working, the only thing that I can suggest is that you reinstall Spybot 1.4 so that you have a working copy of TeaTimer.exe.

Please note: I suggest that you make a backup copy of TeaTimer.exe before attempting any of the fixes/patches.

If you were attempting to use murdo's "&D14 GUI Patch.zip" patch when you got the following error, it could have been because TeaTimer was still running:
"TeaTlmer.exe - File not found, or File access error!"
Before attempting to fix TeaTimer you must exit TeaTimer as follows:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon.
Click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident (TeaTimer should close).
To restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

There is also a one byte patch that appears to work. It was originally posted Sept. 28, 2005 by SyreneD in the net-integration forum:
http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=31466&view=findpost&p=160216

Unfortunately the link to the patch itself in the above post is broken so I have attached a copy of that patch to this post.

DougCuk
2005-11-28, 17:10
Many thanks Murdo - your automated patch from bottom of page one of this thread worked fine. In case it helps anyone else I would suggest to avoid any problems that you place the patch exe in the Spybot folder - where TeaTimer.exe should be visible. Copy the original TeaTimer to somewhere safe just in case of any problem.

Remember to shutdown the TeaTimer (if you have it running) before you run the patch - the easiest way to do that is by using the right click menu from the icon in the system tray - choose "Exit Spybot-S&D Resident".

You can restart TeaTimer direct - by double clicking the exe - or restart Windows to activate the fixed version.

serendipityguy
2005-11-28, 19:08
such a life saver , but why is it that We, the end user are the ones who have to make such an edit???

dont you think that perhaps that this is something that the developer should address?

not to get anyone upset or have any heart-akes, just an honest question.

and by the way thanks for this tip :bow:

murdo
2005-11-29, 11:41
There is nothing wrong with the community helping out now and then, its what forums are for?!

Considering we don't HAVE to pay for SpyBot (although I recommend people do Donate if they can afford it..), I think the product is pretty awesome. Name one peice of software that the public hasn't contributed to "fixing" in one way or another? :)

Glad the automated patch helped everyone, and for those who said thanks, your very welcome. :)

STEP BY STEP:

1) Download http://murdo.digitalicedesigns.com/S&D14GUIPatch.zip (I put it on my web server as the forum link doesn't always work

2) Open the Zip File

3) Extract/Copy the contents to your SpyBot S&D folder

4) Close "Spybot-SD Resident" from your systray by:
"RIGHT CLICK" > "Exit Spybot-SD Resident"

5) Execute "S&D14 GUI PATCH.exe" from within your SpyBot folder

Press the "Start" button

You should then see a window:
http://murdo.digitalicedesigns.com/success.jpg

Enjoy

Note: Remember to start "TeaTimer.exe" again!

P.S I just looked at the other patch md mentioned, and it does exactly the same thing except moves the check button down slightly, where as mine moves it down and accross (hence the 5 bytes instead of 1 byte)

Also, don't worry about makeing a backup of "TeaTimer.exe" as the patch is set to do this by default (you will find "TeaTimer.exe.bak" in the program folder)

alpha24
2005-11-29, 15:14
alpha24:

If TeaTimer is no longer working, the only thing that I can suggest is that you reinstall Spybot 1.4 so that you have a working copy of TeaTimer.exe.

There is also a one byte patch that appears to work. It was originally posted Sept. 28, 2005 by SyreneD in the net-integration forum:
http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=31466&view=findpost&p=160216

Unfortunately the link to the patch itself in the above post is broken so I have attached a copy of that patch to this post.

Many thanks for your help md. I reinstalled Spybot 1.4, as you suggested and then tried Murdo's patch again but I still got the "TeaTimer.exe file can't be found" message. I then used your links - firstly to the very interesting thread and secondly to SyreneD's patch which worked perfectly,!! All is now in order with the TeaTimer pop-ups and I can only confirm my appreciation of the very timely advice received. Regards, Alpha. :bigthumb:

murdo
2005-11-29, 15:17
...tried Murdo's patch again but I still got the "TeaTimer.exe file can't be found" message....

You didn't follow the instructions properly.

The patch you got elsewhere specifically targets "TeaTimer.exe" in the default install path, hence why it worked.

My patch does not contain this path as not everyone has it in the default place! Therefor, you should of either put the file in the program folder, or pressed the "..." button to locate the "TeaTimer.exe" file.

Sorry it took you so long to fix it, at least it's done now.

I should also appologies for not putting instructions with the patch. I thought it would be obvious, I should not of made that assumption. Sorry once again.

mikey
2005-11-29, 17:15
such a life saver , but why is it that We, the end user are the ones who have to make such an edit???

dont you think that perhaps that this is something that the developer should address?

not to get anyone upset or have any heart-akes, just an honest question.

and by the way thanks for this tip :bow:
Bugs happen.

Perhaps you may have noticed in this thread as well as others that it has been noted often that it will be fixed in the next release.

Perhaps you think PMK should do an upgrade and cause tens of millions of DLs(a large expense for a free product) just to fix what is considered by any other than the greenest user to be a very MINOR bug(one which is extremely easy to fix manually).

Seems to me that you may have very little understanding about application support...especially for a freeware product used by so many. I would hope that most would have a more reasonable understanding.

scotty_
2005-11-30, 20:41
:bigthumb: Nice one!

lbholde
2005-12-03, 19:46
There is nothing wrong with the community helping out now and then, its what forums are for?!

Considering we don't HAVE to pay for SpyBot (although I recomend people do Donate if they can afford it..), I think the product is pretty awesome. Name one peice of software that the public hasn't contributed to "fixing" in one way or another? :)

I agree 100%! Spybotfree and it works great. Thanks to the developers, and to Murdo and the others who took time out of their busy schedules to write this fix.

Oppressed
2005-12-05, 20:55

Considering we don't HAVE to pay for SpyBot (although I recomend people do Donate if they can afford it..), I think the product is pretty awesome. Name one peice of software that the public hasn't contributed to "fixing" in one way or another? :)

Glad the automated patch helped everyone, and for those who said thanks, your very welcome. :)

I also thank you for the automated patch and the instructions on how to run it :bigthumb:

murdo
2005-12-05, 21:26
No probs. :)

If anyone wants to show appreciation and visit my own forums, opening soon at:

(removed by murdo) - Please PM me for URL if interested!

Feel free to sign up, and if you include your email address you will be notified when the forums become unlocked!
Also if anyone would like to help moderate, get in touch.

:)

johnwrites
2005-12-05, 21:32
I have just enough space to click but cannot see the word allow or deny. Can someone put a screenshot or tell me which side allow is at.
Sorry if this hasd been done I have not seen it. I would prefer not to have to make the changes and wait for the next release if possible

murdo
2005-12-05, 21:36
it is the button on the left

http://murdo.digitalicedesigns.com/left.jpg

RollaCoasta
2005-12-06, 06:49
Here is another BIG THX for the nice automated patch. When I saw it, my first thought was "thats' a way, even me I should be able to safely patch the little bug". Great Job!

To all the ones who complain here "blabla PMK should have patched long time now blabla" - and I think fortunately them are here on board in a minority:
If you get something for free - you shouldn't complain for little scratches and make a big thing out of it! Instead of that be happy, that there is still people in life who make you such a great gift like Spybot S&D.
In a world, where everything is just about money, money and once again money it's anything else than usual, that you can get such a powerfull tool for free. And even if you donated - to get a tool like this, hey this is a gift!

Thanks to PepiMK and all the wonderfull people who help him to develop this tool further on, and all the wonderfull people who spend day by day their time here to help us with our problems.

Respect! :bigthumb:

Regards
RollaCoasta

johnwrites
2005-12-07, 00:49
it is the button on the left

http://murdo.digitalicedesigns.com/left.jpg

Thanks for letting me know :)

Breakdaze
2005-12-09, 05:48
You can also use your keyboard to push the correct button. A= accept change D= deny change while the teatimer dialog window is up.

I also patched my teatimer.

A. Sergio
2005-12-10, 03:00
For some time already this thread had such a nice, neat and easy solution I was surprised it wasn'n closed yet and to know about some fuss going on.
I would like to second each and every word of RollaCoasta and apologize to the A+ Spybot team for the fact that not everybody can recognize such a precious help when they get it.
Fortunately, all the rest of us do.

Oppressed
2005-12-10, 22:35
I looked through the onboard Help in my Spybot but I could not find any entries related to the Resident's display issue.

Just a thought, but if the Help files are updated again before the new version comes out maybe recognition of or information appropriate to this situation could be included? Or maybe even a page with the manual fix instructions?

zapjb
2005-12-10, 23:05
Today 17:35
Oppressed I looked through the onboard Help in my Spybot but I could not find any entries related to the Resident's display issue.

Just a thought, but if the Help files are updated again before the new version comes out maybe recognition of or information appropriate to this situation could be included? Or maybe even a page with the manual fix instructions?
Because this problem afaik will be fixed in the new version.:bigthumb:

typhen
2005-12-14, 12:54
Thank you ElPiedra! Thank you murdo! I never could have introduced people to Spybot if I hadn't found this. (Sure, I can memorize hotkeys myself.....but my mum?)

I'm just glad I found this thread -- I'd already seen another couple of threads that said "yeah, this is a known problem, and it'll be fixed some day".

I appreciate and fully agree with the view that we can't tell the Spybot developers what to do; I'm happy with what we've got, (now that I've found a fix, at least).

Still, it would be really handy to have a link from this page:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2005-06-22.html
to the current thread. Who knows how many mothers will otherwise be forced to turn away from the software? A tragedy that can be avoided if there's a link in place (as long as their sons or daughters are available to help install the patch :D)

SyreneD
2005-12-16, 16:12
You didn't follow the instructions properly.

The patch you got elsewhere specifically targets "TeaTimer.exe" in the default install path, hence why it worked.

My patch does not contain this path as not everyone has it in the default place! Therefor, you should of either put the file in the program folder, or pressed the "..." button to locate the "TeaTimer.exe" file.

Sorry it took you so long to fix it, at least it's done now.

I should also appologies for not putting instructions with the patch. I thought it would be obvious, I should not of made that assumption. Sorry once again.

I didn't even know that the other forum was back up yet... and I did not know of the existance of this one till today when I stumbled on it somehow.

To everyone that has used my patch, thanks! and I'm glad I was able to help you.

@murdo
First of all, my patch does target the default path, as most users do install it there, (tho that is unwise cause it makes it even easier for spyware to target and harm it) and there is nothing wrong with that, cause the rest of the ppl who have installed it elsewhere can click the button and select the correct directory. Secondly, I find it interesting that you indirectly criticized my patch, yet I have posted detailed information on that other forum as to how I developed and tested my patch, and your patch was developed using the exact same tool I used 'PE Explorer' and the patch was created in the same patching engine 'CodeFusion Wizard'. My descriptions didn't perchance inspire 'your' patch did they? :rolleyes:

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-18, 09:41
SyreneD:

Good to see you here.

I published your one byte patch in the following post:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=2670&postcount=38

With these comments:

I personally consider your patch superior to the patch provided by murdo because it only modifies the one byte height attribute on the "Remember this decision" line of TeaTimer's pop-up dialog the same as the ResHacker fix did, as opposed to three bytes in the murdo patch.

Thanks for sharing the patch with us,
md usa spybot fan

tashi
2005-12-18, 17:35
Hello SyreneD.
Welcome to the new forum. :)

bilbobaggins
2005-12-22, 21:00
That seems to work for me, too. Many thanks to you for your effort and 'open source' spirit.:dancing-c

murdo
2005-12-22, 23:18
md, why is my patch "inferior" just because it modify's 3 bytes instead of one? I mean if it was 3 MEGA-bytes instead of 1 then fair enough, but 3 BYTES?!?!

In fact i'm quite offended and wont be making any future patches / help. Not sure why I bothered.

stvh1
2005-12-24, 22:56
Let's see freeware isn't free I got to remember that!:D

stein
2005-12-27, 22:37
I have just installed Murdo's patch, and the installation was a snap. The guidelines in post 41 are more than sufficient for a successful install.

Murdo, ElPiedra, and SyreneD (and maybe others), thank you for doing what thousands of forum users never ever do, namely creating someting that even the official SpyBot designers did not manage!

stein
2005-12-27, 23:06
.... I personally consider your patch superior to the patch provided by murdo because it only modifies the one byte height attribute on the "Remember this decision" line of TeaTimer's pop-up dialog the same as the ResHacker fix did, as opposed to three bytes in the murdo patch. ...

You're kidding, right?
The problem of partially hidden buttons differs slightly according to display settings like Screen Appearance.

bitman
2005-12-28, 01:23
Personally, I consider this entire discussion pointless, since the problem itself should never have occured.

It's been so long since the 1.4 release date in June of 2005 that everyone's forgotten how this really happened. Though the original issue that triggered the display problem with the buttons was created by the Delphi compiler, this wasn't what allowed it to be released. The real problem was that no external test release of the true final 1.4 Release Candidate (RC) code was performed before it was distributed to the mirror sites. If this had been done, we would have found the problem within hours as we did in June.

However, the issue that concerns me most is that in the almost two years that I've been involved with Spybot, no significant upgrade of the program itself has occured between major (annual) releases, even to fix messy issues such as this one. This has led some to criticize what is otherwise an excellent product.

Regardless of my involvement here and the fact that the product itself is free, I still feel Spybot could be improved by a more frequent public upgrade cycle to remove already fixed bugs. I understand not wanting to have many 'point' releases during a versions lifetime, but most of the repeated questions here are due to two or three items which have been fixed for months in the internal version.

I would ask that Team Spybot consider re-designing the release cycle so that either a bug fix only release occurs shortly after (1-2 months at most) a major release or a 6 month sub-release occurs to refresh the existing code. Personally, I prefer the former for several reasons, most related to program version control and support issues.

Let's quit picking at each other and even Team Spybot and make our suggestions as to what we'd prefer as users. With that knowledge at least Team Spybot can make an informed decision that helps both the users of the program and the support load on Team Spybot itself.

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-28, 14:22
ResHacker fix vs. SyreneD (one byte patch) vs. Murdo (five byte patch)

Original TeaTimer.exe contained the following code at offsets +00000158, +00000318 and +0013CAA2:
+00000158 – 543F
+00000318 – 0090
+0013CAA2 – A0 (160 decimal)

ResHacker fix – originally posted by flyingcucco on Jul 11, 2005 in this Net-Integration Forums post:
http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=31466&view=findpost&p=153105

Later posted by ElPiedra on Oct 28, 2005 here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=423#post423

The ResHacker fix change done on my system changes the following:
+00000158 – 543E
+00000318 – 718F
+0013CAA2 – BE (190 decimal)

Original SyreneD One byte patch:
+0013CAA2 – BF (191 decimal)
SyreneD went to lengths to explain how the patch was developed and why the changes to other locations were eliminated:
http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=31466&view=findpost&p=160676
Murdo five byte patch:
+00000158 - E63E
+00000318 - 808F
+0013CAA2 - B2 (178 decimal)
Please note that the changes at locations +00000158 (E63E vs. 543E) and +00000318 (808F vs. 718F) in the Murdo patch are not consistent with changes the ResHacker fix did on my system and that is why I do not personally recommend it.

By the way, I use none of the above. I am still running with the original Spybot-S&D 1.4 TeaTimer.exe.

I also agree with bitman's assessment. The delay in the correction of the TeaTimer dialog problem has caused severe and in many cases irreversible problems for people who are unaware of the "A" for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change" workaround or the fixes discussed in this thread. Particularly in light of the fact that closing the dialog denies the registry change. Please make the correction of this problem a priority.

matchstich
2005-12-28, 17:29
i did the 1 byte patch. it works . thanks yall

kemscm
2005-12-29, 17:21
First, THANKS! to the people who posted patches, especially the one with step-by-step instructions! I would not have been able to install the patch correctly without them. I can't say how much I appreciate having this fixed!

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there any way to restart the memory-resident program without restarting my computer? Will just clicking on Teatimer.exe work?

2. Is there any way to Undo all the things I've had to deny because I didn't know the shortcut keys and couldn't get the popup box to allow the changes? I can't even remember what they were, but there have been several.

When I ran into the problem, the first place I looked was Support -- and I couldn't find ANY mention of this problem. I've denied a lot of changes I didn't want to deny....and caused I don't know how many problems for myself down the road....just because I could find any mention of the problem on Spybot's support page! Since there wasn't, I figured there was something wrong with my computer, not with Spybot.

Many thanks to the forum folks who solved this problem!

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-29, 18:06
1. Is there any way to restart the memory-resident program without restarting my computer? Will just clicking on Teatimer.exe work?
To stop TeaTimer:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
To restart TeaTimer:

2. Is there any way to Undo all the things I've had to deny because I didn't know the shortcut keys and couldn't get the popup box to allow the changes? I can't even remember what they were, but there have been several.
If you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Resident, there is a list of actions taken with TeaTimer. Unfortunately there is no way to reverse any Registry change decision ("Allow change" or "Deny change") that you made with TeaTimer. You have to redo whatever you were doing so that the Registry change is done again (or manually edit the Registry).

If you answer/answered any of TeaTimer's Registry change dialogs with "Remember this decision" the information concerning that change it is stored in a file. TeaTimer uses that information to automatically "Allow" or "Deny" future changes. You can edit "Remember this decision" entries as follows:Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings. This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List". There are four (4) Buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":

Allowed processes
Blocked processes
Allowed registry changes
Blocked registry changes

Note: If you don't see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

You can review all the entries that you have stored by clicking on these buttons. The entries for the registry change function of TeaTimer can be found under the "Allowed registry changes" and "Blocked registry changes". You can delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X" to the right of the entry that you want to delete and then clicking the "OK" button when you're done. This will in effect make TeaTimer forget what you told it to remember so that during future changes to these items TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog rather then just a notification pop-up.

kemscm
2005-12-29, 19:28
:bigthumb:

I think I'm all set. I really appreciate the help.

I know just enough to be dangerous, so I merely try to limit the damage....

stein
2005-12-30, 19:09
md, thanks for pointing out the differences of the patches.

Ordinary users are not able to judge what 1 or 3 bytes can do for them. So they want to know what is the visible effect. Only then can they decide what is best for them.

I have tested the patch of SyreneD and Murdo.

When my display settings (Display Properties > Appearance) are set to XP default, both are equally good.
If my sight were bad and I had set the display settings to Extra Large Font Size, then the line describing the registry key would be hidden in both cases. With SyreneD's patch I would also have to scroll to see "Remember this...".

Personally I have set my display to Classic instead of XP. In this case the default settings (normal font size) makes SyreneD'patch look better, but both are fully readable. Murdo's make the button slightly (1 mm) overlap the check box, but not obscuring the text.
At settings Large Font Size and Extra Large they are both equally perfect.

Conclusions:
1. All patch-makers have done a job most of us are very pleased with.
2. Neither SyreneD's nor Murdo's patch is perfect (I have tested only these 2).
3. If you use the default settings of XP, both Murdo's and SyreneD's patches are equally good.
4. If you use Classic display setting, you would go for SyreneD's patch.
5. If you have very weak sight, Murdo's patch is the preferred one.

Oppressed
2006-01-03, 14:49
First, THANKS! to the people who posted patches, especially the one with step-by-step instructions! I would not have been able to install the patch correctly without them. I can't say how much I appreciate having this fixed!

When I ran into the problem, the first place I looked was Support -- and I couldn't find ANY mention of this problem. I've denied a lot of changes I didn't want to deny....and caused I don't know how many problems for myself down the road....just because I could find any mention of the problem on Spybot's support page! Since there wasn't, I figured there was something wrong with my computer, not with Spybot.

Many thanks to the forum folks who solved this problem!

I couldn't agree more! :bigthumb:

I know I posted previously that had my TeaTimer been funtioning correctly I would not have turned it off and by doing so exposed my computer to infection by malicious intent.

As I see it logic dictates that the whole purpose of this product is sabotaged if people do not know how to or unable to use it for its intended purpose. At the time I discovered the issue I was also unable to find any referances to this in the Help of Spybot or in online searches. The designer of one of the patches wrote here that they happened on this Site which is exactly how I ended up here.

To me it's like locks on a door if people don't use them they leave themself open to possible home invasions. I think it is fair to admit that Spybot S&D was developed because there are people out there that like to exploit software vulnerabilities, well the TeaTimer display issue might well be considered as a vulnerability?

md, thanks for pointing out the differences of the patches.

Ordinary users are not able to judge what 1 or 3 bytes can do for them. So they want to know what is the visible effect. Only then can they decide what is best for them.

I have tested the patch of SyreneD and Murdo.

-snip-

Conclusions:
1. All patch-makers have done a job most of us are very pleased with.
2. Neither SyreneD's nor Murdo's patch is perfect (I have tested only these 2).
3. If you use the default settings of XP, both Murdo's and SyreneD's patches are equally good.
4. If you use Classic display setting, you would go for SyreneD's patch.
5. If you have very weak sight, Murdo's patch is the preferred one.

Thank you for the effort you have made to help the laypeople understand the visual impact of the fixes created.

(My display is XP default, 800x600 resolution, normal size fonts and for additional clearity I use Standard smoothing of screen fonts.)

I applied the patch created by Murdo and I am very happy with the result.

I definately feel alot more secure with the TeaTimer and SD Helper options functioning as they were intended.

Brumagem
2006-01-10, 05:44
When I realised that I had a problem with tea timer back in October 2005 the first place I looked for help was here is this forum. I found Elpiedra's post and fixed the little bug manually in 5 mins so Thanks Very Much.:bigthumb:
As for all the moaners and complainers who have filled up a lot of this thread Good Grief! You are using a "Free" program that is by far the best I have come accross so I don't see what you have to complain about. And if there is a little problem now and again so be it. After all isn't that what these forums and others like them are for? In fact isn't that what the Internet is all about people sharing information you know I.T. Go find something important to complain about and leave the forums to people who want to use them for help and information.

Oppressed
2006-01-11, 09:34
When I realised that I had a problem with tea timer back in October 2005 the first place I looked for help was here is this forum. I found Elpiedra's post and fixed the little bug manually in 5 mins so Thanks Very Much.:bigthumb:
As for all the moaners and complainers who have filled up a lot of this thread Good Grief! You are using a "Free" program that is by far the best I have come accross so I don't see what you have to complain about. And if there is a little problem now and again so be it. After all isn't that what these forums and others like them are for? In fact isn't that what the Internet is all about people sharing information you know I.T. Go find something important to complain about and leave the forums to people who want to use them for help and information.

I am sure someone will come along and cheer you and your comments along.

It's people like you and your high and mighty, holier then thou attitudes that give me reason to end my pathetic existance!

Thank you very MUCH!!!

Oh ya and I'd say have a great day but you are clearly already having one!

Hokiespy
2006-01-11, 20:17
Thanks for the info, and it works as advertised.

Make it a great day!

Rugbymongrel
2006-01-13, 15:31
:buried: I'm afraid I am comparatively clueless when we start talking in detail about things. :confused: Like I said blissfully ignorant. :p However also satisfied since the patch posted by murdo has worked perfectly! :D Don't know how and for the time being I don't care anyway. Just a great big THANK YOU to everyone who has posted and in particular to people who have posted patches, especially murdo (since I used murdo's) but also tashi for directing me here. :bigthumb:

Happy New Year everyone (I don't care that it is almost a fortnight ago)
:crowned:

codysmom
2006-01-14, 14:50
Hi All...First let me say thanks to all who have provided such helpful detail about this problem....And especially to those who have given solutions...

I just upgraded from Spybot 1.3 to Spybot 1.4 on 1/2/06....So had a lot of catching up to do with the TeaTimer pop-up problem / solution....Thank goodness for this forum....!!!!!

I downloaded the "ResHacker" patch yesterday...I haven't installed it yet....Part of ResHacker install says to "turn off TeaTimer through Advanced Mode in Spybot"----I did that yesterday using **my account.....Planned on doing "just a bit more research" before installing the patch to be sure I understood everything etc etc.....Here's where I ran into something not mentioned as part of this problem/solution.....

I have Win XP....with **2 accounts (my husband's and mine)....I just discovered:

In my account-------------TeaTimer is turned "off"
In husband's account------TeaTimer is still "on"

I assume I have to change his setting to "off" also......??.....
Thanx in advance for any/all help......

MaxLV1
2006-01-23, 04:53
The Spybot team cant fix this themselves???????????????

Like when it was first pointed out to them MONTHS AGO!!!???????????????

Maybe they should also look at fixing the other VERY ANNOYING bugs in Tea timer as well, especially the one keeps popping up saying it's allowing or denying changes to registry keys for software that is no longer installed on your computer....

And yes I have gone into the Tea Timer settings and deleted the entries, but Tea Timer keep putting the registry keys back in and displaying the pop ups again even when those registry keys are copied and pasted into several different restry editors that say no such registry keys exist in the registry....

The only way I have found to work around it is to delete the reg keys in the Tea Timer settings/allowed registry changes window, close Tea Timer, open Spybot, disable Tea Timer from monitoring for registry changes, close Spybot, reboot, open Spybot, enable Tea Timer to monitor registry changes again, shut down Spybot, reboot, and check to see in Tea timer is no longer listing the reg keys in it's settings windows.....

But I'm not holding my breath for them to fix it, after all it's only a freeware program and I should be grateful for that shouldn't I/we.....

:mad: :mad: :mad:

MaxLV1
2006-01-23, 10:27

So why CANT the Spybot team take the FIVE MINUTES it takes to fix it to do the same and offer it as a fix to ALL users????????

And just because it's a free program doesn't negate them having the responisbility to fix the bugs in the program, especially one that is supposedly one of the best available and a fix that is so easy to do.....

No, I just thing they cant be bothered....
:(

MaxLV1
2006-01-23, 10:36
Bugs happen.

Perhaps you may have noticed in this thread as well as others that it has been noted often that it will be fixed in the next release.

Perhaps you think PMK should do an upgrade and cause tens of millions of DLs(a large expense for a free product) just to fix what is considered by any other than the greenest user to be a very MINOR bug(one which is extremely easy to fix manually).

Seems to me that you may have very little understanding about application support...especially for a freeware product used by so many. I would hope that most would have a more reasonable understanding.

What's wrong with them fixing it, and adding it to one of the regular detections updtaes?????

And it's BS that being freeware they shouldn't be in any hurry to fix bugs no matter how minor they might be....

I have to wonder how many more serious bugs there might be in the program and the LONG time it's taking them to fix this bug doesn't show them in a good light WRT how well they maintain their program.... (IMO)
:(

Psyberwolf
2006-01-29, 04:27
Count me amongst the many satisfied customers! A great many thanks for the fix ElPiedra! :bigthumb:

stevek
2006-01-31, 18:13
I followed your instructions and it took a few seconds to correct. Much better now.

I especially liked the "Ctrl F-decisions" to bring me to the correct spot.

Thank you.

greenwalker
2006-02-02, 01:37
Many thanks to murdo for his great patch!!!:bigthumb:
:beerbeerb cheers to u

Will Pittenger
2006-02-02, 06:58
Firefox 1.5 appears to think the link is the actual file. It is redirect. The download is itself redirected by the Firefox extension FlashGot to Reget, an external downloader that speeds the download up dramatically. However, all Reget is downloading is the redirection page.

I just tried bypassing the FlashGot -- without success.

Zenobia
2006-02-02, 18:30
Which link,the one for Reshacker.zip?
I know zilch about Reget,but...
These are the instructions I found for Reget(the Reget junior).
http://junior.reget.com/en/howtouse.htm
I wonder if instead of choosing Download by Reget in the rightclick menu,if you chose Save Target As...,if that would work.(Or in Firefox,Save Link As.)

Will Pittenger
2006-02-02, 19:23
You appear to misunderstand. In Firefox, I have to use FlashGot to intercept the download. That changes all menu items. FlashGot is very good at intercepting downloads.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-02, 20:09
Will Pittenger:

You still have not clarified what link you are talking about!!! There are several links provided in this thread.

If you are talking about the ResHacker program, here is a link to the Resource Hacker site (maybe you will have better luck with the download links there):
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Will Pittenger
2006-02-02, 20:14
Sorry. The patch.zip link for TeaTimer.

Zenobia
2006-02-02, 20:19
Yes,I'm not familiar with Flashgot,I don't use it.

Also,if you aren't able to download reshacker from the resource hacker site,maybe you could try using Internet Explorer.Might be easier.

(Or,patch.zip as I posted before I saw your reply.)

Will Pittenger
2006-02-02, 20:27
I have no idea what Reshacker is. What I was trying to download what that file patch.zip (http://forums.spybot.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=77&d=1133186444)mentioned in the post http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122#post_message_2670 above in this thread.

Zenobia
2006-02-02, 20:32
Reshacker is the utility mentioned to download at the very first of this thread(page 1),in the fix by ElPiedra.
There is also another patch in this thread somewhere,by SyreneD.

Will Pittenger
2006-02-02, 20:44
It was that other patch system that I was attempting to download. That post appears to have been by MD_USA_SPYBOT_FAN.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-02, 20:45
There is also a patch I posted here:

Will Pittenger
2006-02-02, 20:53
Same thing I think. I need a link to somewhere outside the forum or it will not work.

Zenobia
2006-02-03, 03:51
You mentioned getting redirected.

However, all Reget is downloading is the redirection page.

I was wondering if the redirection page says this:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
2. You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

If not,the link to reshacker is outside this forum.
You could try fixing teatimer that way,if you wanted to.
Directions here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

Will Pittenger
2006-02-03, 04:50
Well, I doubt I will use that program again. (That was why I was just going with the patch program.) However, I think I followed the instructions correctly. Will see soon.

Zenobia
2006-02-03, 05:14
Okay.Hope you got teatimer fixed. :)

Boeing_737
2006-02-05, 04:26
Oh well, that did the job! I posted your solution in a Dutch anti-spyware forum I'm a member of.

Canada, eh?
2006-02-07, 03:52
Just joined forums. Looking for solution to another problem but found this fix for teatimer which has been bugging me since latest SB release. Thanx for great solution (ResHacker)!:)

LrgrThnLf
2006-02-09, 10:40
At first I thought this whole issue with the buttons was just a specific computer issue..
Then I thought it might be because a machine used to have SpyBot 1.3 on it..
Then I thought perhaps it's just display settings..
Then I thought - ok.. doesn't seem to be me, they'll release an update for it..

Today I come here and find out, "Yes, we know it's a bug, but we choose not to release the fix for it". This, I have to say, shocked me.

One would assume, if it's a known bug, that significantly impacts users (try explaining to your grandparents what to do!!) that an update would be released.. especially if other updates are being made. In 1.3 a patch to the executable was released (the one that closed and relaunched SB S&D), so it can be done.

Going back to the "grandparents" point.. they're not going to patch a binary by hand, and most certainly shouldn't be encouraged to just download arbitrary executables from a forum post. Downloading any old .exe from a forum post (no offence to the authors of said patches) triggers alarm bells for me generally..

RE the point of lots of downloads - each new person downloading the buggy version is another person having to download the fix..

At least this should be in the FAQ at http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/index.html ...

Yes, SB S&D is free - but you have to take into account parts of the target audience who use automated removal tools for the reason they're not that computer literate. At least, I guess, the post on this has been made "sticky" so it appears at top of forum.

jj007force
2006-02-13, 01:55
The fix actually worked...thnx...it works great now.....I can't believe its just a number problem within a line of code.
I also read that the checkbox problem was caused by a program software S&D creators used to make SpyBot S&D. I guess they wouldn't use that program again to make SpyBot S&D.
Thnx again....

nova6969
2006-02-15, 22:18
Thanhs a lot.
It runs in a very simple way.

Should every problem be such easy to sold.

Nova ;)

Nick Y
2006-02-20, 21:00
Brilliant. Instant success; instant gratitude.

Nick

Hard2Guesss
2006-02-22, 02:25
I just want to thanks murdo for his patch.

Just becaus of this lil bug I have uninstalled and reinstalled Spybot S&D several times. Unfortunatly I did not find this forum earlier. Now, I think I will be one of the sef websurfer at last due to murdo's patch.

Thanks murdo.:bigthumb:

Pijuvwy
2006-02-23, 05:04
There's no sense I can see in the downloaded version still including this bug. I've got to say, it's bloody stupid. :scratch:

Thanks for the patch!

jkuhl
2006-02-25, 23:54
Thanks to all fix/patch posters. I too have been battling that dumb bug since downloading 1.4. Silly me, I fussed with it for 2 days because I thought it might be my browser (poor neglected Netscape 7), or that I'd corrupted my software or etc., etc. Then, praise the "gods", I decided to look for a Spybot forum. AHA! Problem solved. Thanks to all.

Suggestion. When a fix like this is available, could a special forum (call it Fixes) be set up for all to look at? Another forum I go to quite often (ZoneAlarm) has something similar.

Meanwhile, waiting with baited breath for 1.5 .............. ;)

gaskibba
2006-02-26, 06:13
Hi, I did the patch-fix and it worked. I turned my computer off and following bootup I changed something in the startup list in the tools section. I got a warning from tea timer and the same problem was back. Anyone else have this happen?

vpaxx
2006-02-26, 21:44
alpha24:

Please note: I suggest that you make a backup copy of TeaTimer.exe before attempting any of the fixes/patches.

If you were attempting to use murdo's "&D14 GUI Patch.zip" patch when you got the following error, it could have been because TeaTimer was still running:
"TeaTlmer.exe - File not found, or File access error!"
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon.
Click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident (TeaTimer should close).
To restart TeaTimer:

ResHak didn't seem to be opening right for me but this attachment in message 38 did it all . Thanks for your efforts , My computer is running much faster now that I have removed needless programs running in the Background.

Gunslinger
2006-02-27, 03:38
Excellent fix, thank you, most useful as i use the 96dpi setting so have always suffered this a bit

wolfdog
2006-02-28, 02:39
:bigthumb: I found this thread looking for a solution to another problem. always thought I did somthing wrong. that bug was sooooo annoying. thanks for the patch :beerbeerb:

dstone
2006-03-17, 16:33
Spybot 1.4 was released last June, why don't you just fix the bug and release the fixed version, FFS ???????????????????????????????????????????

I haven't used Spybot 1.4 because of this bug, and i'm sure thousands more people don't use it because of this bug.

Nonoize
2006-03-21, 23:16
Well i figured this one out for myself using P.E Explorer (similar to ResHacker but more powerful) and i thought that people might not want to do it themselves so I created a patch program that will do it for you. I have sent it to the spybot authors, don't know if they will include it or not though!

:scratch:

I just tried to run this patch and Pest Patrol informs me that it is "Gates from Hell" Malware.

:angel:

Top Twig
2006-03-23, 20:48
I'm real glad to find the fix. Been running Spybot without TeaTimer since I downloaded 1.4
As far as the Spybot team not coming out with a fix for this annoying little problem;we have our fix (2 of them) am sure Spybot has plenty to keep them busy.
My big concern was undoing changes.Found some info. in a 12-05 post in this thread. :bigthumb:

rdmpe
2006-04-10, 18:49
:scratch:

I just tried to run this patch and Pest Patrol informs me that it is "Gates from Hell" Malware.

:angel:

Is the general consensus that this patch is safe???

tashi
2006-04-10, 21:05
Possibly a false positive on the part of Pest Patrol, but you would have to check with them.

You could try ElPiedra's solution which was the first post in this topic.

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-10, 21:18
rdmpe:

Some additional information:

There are (3) fixes published in this thread. They are:
The ResHacker fix published by ElPiedra (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=128) here:
The murdo (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=440) patch published here:
Or the patch originally by SyreneD (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1735) that I published here:
I have tested all three (3) fixes and all appear perfectly safe in spite of the report by Nonoize (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=5128) that Pest Patrol complained while attempting to apply the murdo (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=440) patch.

Also note: If you run ZoneAlarm Pro or ZoneAlarm Security Suite (version 6.1.744.000 or 6.1.744.001) you may not be able to run TeaTimer 1.4 after fixing or patching it. See the following:
Resident TeaTimer & Zone Alarm Conflict
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=3334
I personally still run with the un-patched version. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" (on the left) and "Deny change" (on the right) buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check the "Remember this decision" option and use the "?" and "Info" buttons since these are all visible.

If you are still concerned about the safty of the fix/patches and no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" on your keyboard for "Deny change".

Will Pittenger
2006-04-11, 06:31
Strictly speaking, anything that modifies your Spyware scanner, AV, firewall, or OS could be dangerous. Maybe Pest Patrol is being over zealous.

mameragex
2006-04-14, 19:23
:scratch: If the fix is that simple, Why not just make a small simple update that does this for the user. It's sort of lazy. and I hate to say that about one of the best virus protection softs to date.

n00b0y
2006-04-15, 02:28
I've been guessing between the two buttons since i installed the Spybot..
Thanks to this fix! :cool:

Ataka
2006-04-19, 15:38
Date this bug/fix was posted: 2005-10-28
Current date I downloaded S&D and bug is still there: 2006-04-19

Time between: 6 months

Seriously, even with an 'official unofficial patch', this is a poor way for a product (yes, even a free product) to remain available for download. I learned of this bug while I was doing a Windows Update and it tried to add a startup entry to my regsitry. I had to redo the install because I would not click blindly when I could not see the "Allow" and "Decline" buttons. I uninstalled S&D immediatly.

The fix is simple. The "corrected version" has been promised since nearly the same time this bug was announced. Yet it has not been applied to the downloadable version. S&D looked like a wonderful tool and I'm sure a lot of people use it. However, I imagine a great number of people do exactly what I did at first, uninstall it, rather than look here for a trivial fix that they shouldn't even have to apply using methods most security minded people instinctually avoid (i.e. 'download this program from my www.someaddress.pl website, run it, and edit stuff you have no clue about').

Please take the 2 minutes it requires to fix the bug and the under 60 minutes required to repackage the install file.

Other than that, thanks for this free product and thank you to the original poster on this thread for the workaround.

Hemlock
2006-04-24, 21:03
Have just 'fixed' the problem with one of the fixes suggested, and sure enough it sorted it. However, I ran anti-virus software immediately afterwards and found four trojans.
Coincidence? ...Just be aware.
M.:(

mewsterus
2006-04-26, 23:58
Thank you for the available fix. I had tried Resource Hacker, but gave up too soon I guess. Other programs I had looked into generally had hex in RCData, so I thought I wouldn't find anything useful. Anyway, glad I'm not the only one who noticed this, that would have been sad.

Thanks to the Safer Networking team for the creation of this wonderful software!

famreeks
2006-04-30, 02:45
Fantactic. Can you also advise what program you used to do this tutorial, screen shots , links etc on the page?
Mike

SyreneD
2006-05-03, 10:37
I decided to post my patch once again, to make it easier for people to find. Also, I don't understand why the developers are so slow to resolve this. The updater module in spybot already is capable of closing spybot, updating its files and then reopening it. Why not release an updated through its integrated update system that closes teatimer.exe and then patches it, before reopening it? It would be simple to do, and would solve everything! Please please don't leave people hanging until the next release. Some people simply refuse to use anything unless it comes directly from the developer and so these people won't want to use spybot in its current state because of this glitch.

webaddict
2006-05-12, 03:28
... I don't understand why the developers are so slow to resolve this. The updater module in spybot already is capable of closing spybot, updating its files and then reopening it. Why not release an updated through its integrated update system that closes teatimer.exe and then patches it, before reopening it? ... Man, you took the words right out of my mouth... It couldn't be that hard at all to auto-update... I love Spybot, and the fact that it is free, so I won't complain. Please dont' take this as a complaint...

hal69
2006-05-13, 16:27
I decided to post my patch once again, to make it easier for people to find. Also, I don't understand why the developers are so slow to resolve this. The updater module in spybot already is capable of closing spybot, updating its files and then reopening it. Why not release an updated through its integrated update system that closes teatimer.exe and then patches it, before reopening it? It would be simple to do, and would solve everything! Please please don't leave people hanging until the next release. Some people simply refuse to use anything unless it comes directly from the developer and so these people won't want to use spybot in its current state because of this glitch.

I as well (it's seem) are having these same type of problems w/pushing in the check buttons.The teatime resident utilities keep freezeup for some strange reason and leaving me no other alternative but to close it down by clicking onto the right top (popup box) corner x <--.Will this patch resolve the teatime problems?

tsSecure
2006-05-14, 03:17
You should fix the change in an update for Spybot

trini
2006-05-16, 15:05
Shouldn't we be seeing a new version real soon, based on the 1 year update schedule i have seen mentioned somewhere in these forums, the new beta 1.5 (or whatever) ought to be hitting our screens real soon with the fix to this bug.

OR

Maybe I am being cynical (some might say deservedly so) but, since i can find no mention of a 1.5 or new beta version, maybe there will be no more spybot versions, after all, leaving this serious a bug this long seems just a bit too much like a lack of interest. Let's face it how many people have said to themselves, "nice tool, shame about the bugs" and gone and found something else. Spybot usage must have dropped off, or at least new user uptake will not have been as great as it could have been. And then there are the regular bad checksums on some of the update mirrors.

Overall a great piece of work, you can work around the bug with some nimble mouse work or keyboard use, without using someone elses "Fix" and it remains free, to keep your PC free!!!!

Keep on trucking Spybot and hasta la vista baby to those saddo's that continue to write the nasties that spybot helps clean up.

Will Pittenger
2006-05-16, 23:57
To some extent, 2.0 is needed. There are a lot of issues that would be improved on -- if they have time.

RuggeR29
2006-05-18, 04:43
Spybot S&D is a wonderful program, especially considering it costs nothing. That said, this seems like such a simple fix that the developers could include and would save their users some trouble.

If you work in the IT world, you know most users are... well.... stupid and impatient. There's no way they would even think to look in a forum for an answer. Their immediate reaction would be to uninstall and grab a different program. In the hopes to encourage, rather than chase away, new SpyBot users, I urge the developers to at least post this patch with a note on the homepage.

That said, just to make things even easier, here's a hyperlink directly to the file, so quick fixers don't even have to take the time to register for the board:

http://www.fureyonline.com/downloads/patch.zip

P.S. Remember to close spybot before you run the patch ! :bigthumb:

Thailand_for_YOU
2006-05-18, 07:58
Spybot S&D is a wonderful program, especially considering it costs nothing. That said, this seems like such a simple fix that the developers could include and would save their users some trouble.

... here's a hyperlink directly to the file, so quick fixers don't even have to take the time to register for the board:

P.S. Remember to close spybot and TeaTimer before you run the patch ! :bigthumb:

I just install your patch on my newly assembled PC. Works well.

Even so I am using Spybot S&D for years, I didn't use a TeaTimer on my old Win 98se system.

It is surprising and discouraging that no one from the Spybot S&D team replied to this tread.

Elliot
2006-05-18, 16:27
HI,

Ive done all what was said in your thread and yes it does work... thank you very much and congrats..... However, there is now a new minor problem:

Whenever Teatimer pops up, I can't seem to be able anymore to change the windows size, which is kinda problematic since some of the file names or entry names are sometims very long.

Could you tell me what to do in this case???

Thank you very much

md usa spybot fan
2006-05-18, 17:09
Ive done all what was said in your thread ... I can't seem to be able anymore to change the windows size ...
What fix did you use?

The ResHacker fix published by ElPiedra (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=128) here:
The murdo (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=440) patch published here:
The patch originally by SyreneD (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1735) that I published here:
Also republished by SyreneD (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1735) himself here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=23575&postcount=125
Or the most resent patch published by RuggeR29 (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=7292) (which I have never tried) here:

I personally still run with the original code. However, I just retested the SyreneD (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1735) patch and the window appears to expand to the right the same as the original does. For this patch see: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=2670&postcount=38

Elliot
2006-05-18, 17:32
I used the first link you gave us:

http://delphi.icm.edu.pl/ftp/tools/ResHack.zip

Talk soon,

Elliot

md usa spybot fan
2006-05-18, 18:37
I just retested the ResourceHacker fix and I can expand the pop-up dialog window to the right without any problem. The only thing that I can suggest is to try again. ResourceHacker should have created a backup of the original TeaTimer.exe as TeaTimer_original.exe in the original folder.

RuggeR29
2006-05-18, 22:03
Hey All. I didn't actually create that patch. I was just browsing through the forum for a solution to the problem and found it as a bulletin board attachment here on this thread. (I think it might be known as the 1 byte patch?)

When I went to download it I had to register, and just thought I'd provide a link on my webspace so the next person wouldn't have to bother registering and confirming through email if they didn't want to. There might already be links somewhere else in the thread for all I know. Whoever the original author is, thank you!

The whole process takes about 10 seconds and works like a charm.

Elliot
2006-05-19, 13:50
Ive just patched TeaTimer with SyreneD's program and this has solved all my problems. Thank you very much :bigthumb: Her program however warns that it should be applied to a file that is 1,415,824 bytes large when mine was only 1.385 MB which ive just realised is exaxctly the same Whoooops :D

Take care and tank you for your support

Elliot

SurferJoe46
2006-05-29, 17:33

I opened Spybot and drilled to Teatimer, and the gui won't write to the file. It tells me access denied or permissions not granted. Any help would be appreciated.

SurferJoe46
2006-05-29, 17:38
I opened Spybot and drilled to Teatimer, and the gui won't write to the file. It tells me access denied or permissions not granted. Any help would be appreciated.

doh!...I forgot to close Spybot first...dumb..dumb...dumb..

It works now..TY

wookie2u
2006-05-30, 13:56
Works a treat. oiubeer++ :bigthumb:

Setarcoss
2006-06-01, 16:08

Thanks Murdo! Worked great.

librabasu
2006-06-02, 19:03
Sorry boss Can u pls e-mail the patch to me ?
Removed

Will Pittenger
2006-06-03, 06:51
Sorry boss Can u pls e-mail the patch to me ?
libra31365 at gmail.com
Instead of posting your e-mail address, I suggest asking someone to PM a direct link or at least an offer to send to you if you PM them your address. Sending the PM is much safer than posting your address. When you post your address, you are just asking for spammers to use their spiders (just like the ones Google uses) to find it and start spamming you.

You should edit your post or, if you can not due to server rules, ask a moderator to do it for you.

mwilg
2006-06-16, 21:09
Thank you, thank you. I had figured out which buttons were which, but it was still entertaining having to carefully click around the selections.
God job as always from Spybot. You guys deserve every donation you get. You've made a world of difference.:bigthumb:

Chuck
2006-06-20, 14:55
I must say that at this point, it is a bit over the top that an update has not been released correcting this problem. I've seen the various posts about new users, etc., not being able or willing to undertake a patch. Without the patch, a less experienced user WILL become quickly frustrated. Why on earth has this not been fixed - months ago? Is something very serious going on behind the scenes?

alexcln
2006-06-21, 17:43
Being so simple and easy, why Spybot developers did not implemented it and made available as a new version/update?

drafm
2006-06-24, 04:25
Hi all,

I'm new here and in fact, hope I can find my way back here again.

I have been here for most of the day trying to figure out this new update and box with the error. I had the old Spybot version 1.3 and could never get it to update properly. Since I'm somewhat limited in knowledge (and time) on the computer, I've been lost. Last night I finally managed to get the new version 1.4 installed with my husband's help, and before I could read the tutorial, a hard thunder shower came through and we had to shut down. It was suggested to employ TeaTimer, which I'd avoided earlier due to it saying unless you were knowledgeable about how to set everything, you shouldn't use the Advanced Mode. I clicked to use that feature, not realizing I'd be signed up in the Advanced Mode.

This morning, when I booted up the computer, I couldn't do anything because a box came up with only a partial view of the bottom and we couldn't see what to do. It's the Registry Entry (TeaTimer?) box like at the top of this discussion. I have spent many hours trying to read and find out the 'fix' which I thought I'd accomplished but it's still not working and I'm totally frustrated. I just read again, the tutorial and through this thread and after going back to see if Immunize was checked, I found it wasn't. When I tried to set it, that Registry Entry box came up again. I had found this page where I spent hours trying to get past #3 and could not. It took a long time to understand how to get to ResHacker to come up. We never got to the place where we could put in Ctrl+F.

I have spent so much time trying to figure out this situation and am still totally frustrated. Awhile ago I went back to Spybot to see if Immunize was checked and found it wasn't. When I try to set it, that Registry Entry box comes up again so I need to see if someone can help guide me through this. I always try to do things myself, as it's helpful for learning, but after stumbling around all day and still no further ahead, I'm afraid I'm going to mess up something I shouldn't.

I'm wondering if I should just be using the Default Mode. I do mostly use Firefox but still have one site where I use IE because I can't get the settings to look right with Firefox.

I apologize for the length of this post and offer sincere thanks for any help.

Zenobia
2006-06-24, 05:49
Hi. :)

If you are having trouble with the reshacker fix,there are some alternative suggestions for dealing with the teatimer bug from md usa spybot fan,here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=28258&postcount=2

The box you are trying to check under the Immunize section:does it say 'Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer' beside the checkbox?
If so,that's Spybot's Browser Helper,and when you click the checkbox beside it,teatimer is notifying you about it.

If you need to immunize,there's a little bit about that here-
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial43.html#immunize
I'll put it there,in case you should need it.

drafm
2006-06-24, 14:55
Thank you for the response, Zenobia.

I had read through the thread and did see the patch suggestions, but don't think I'd be capable of mastering that. I'm going to try the regular solution again today when I get a little time and see if I can get past the #3. I've not used a zip file before and since that was new to me, may be the reason I'm having the problem.

When I click Immunize, the Warning box comes up saying how many bad products are blocked, 40 additional protections possible. Please immunize. When I click OK, it shows (at the bottom) "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer." Then "Browser Helper to block bad downloads is installed" - with a green check at the left. Underneath that is - "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" with a check box at left. When I put the check in the box, the box with the bug comes up.

Since I didn't know what the selections were saying before, I didn't want to click on anything. If I understand correctly, by clicking on the left, I accept, and right, will deny. I suppose I could just use it like that, but would really prefer to get it fixed.

One thing I just realized, is the comment about Internet Explorer. Would it be because I'm working on a Firefox page that it's not getting the correct information?

Thanks again!

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-24, 17:24
drafm:

I've not used a zip file before and since that was new to me, may be the reason I'm having the problem.
For the two patches, if you are using Windows XP you should not have to unzip the file. Just open the zip file (double click) and then launch (double click) the application.

There here additional notes about using the two patch programs here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=29897&postcount=5

If I understand correctly, by clicking on the left, I accept, and right, will deny.Correct or you can type "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change".

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-24, 19:09
drafm:

I've not used a zip file before and since that was new to me, may be the reason I'm having the problem.
Extracting and compressing in Windows XP.

The functions to extract and compress files/folders is built into Windows XP. The following is a brief description how to use those facilities.

To unzip (extract) a folder:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to the zipped (compressed) folder.
Right click on the folder and select "Extract All…".
Click Next.
In the Select Destination window you can select were you want the extracted folder to be located.
By default the extracted files will be placed in a folder of the same name and in the same directory as the zipped folder.
If you would like the extracted folder to reside some place else you can type the information into the block below "Files will be extracted to this directory:" or use the "Browse" button to select a directory.
Click Next
After the file(s) are extracted you are given the opportunity to "Show extracted files" which will open a Windows Explorer window displaying the newly created folder.
To compress (zip) files into a folder:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to and select the file(s)/folder(s) that you want to compress.
Right click on the file(s) and select "Send to" and then select "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
A zipped folder will be created with the name of the first file/folder selected and it will be located in the same directory that you are working within.

drafm
2006-06-26, 03:46
Hi, md usa spybot fan,

I apologize for the delay in returning. I should mention during the last few days I've been suffering with a dental problem which isn't helping.

Yesterday I did run Spybot again and clicked on Immunize. When the box came up I typed an A (for allow) and then remember me. It seemed to work but took forever to scan. I waited and waited but kept seeing the green check mark at bottom and figured it must be finished, although the green bars were still sitting there.

However, awhile later, I came back to see a Spybot symbol down in my tray. When I clicked it, it wouldn't open, nor did it respond to anything at all. I think the only thing available was Maximize or Close, but neither would work. I became a bit alarmed as I'd just been reading about phoney Ad-Aware and Spybot look-alikes and figured I may have picked up the wrong one. I kept pressing Alt and F4 and finally it came up saying something like 'Not Responding' and gave me to choice to click 'End Now', which I did. I managed to get rid of it but after that, everything on my computer was so slow, so I'm not sure what happened. I closed down the computer and later, it seemed to be running better again. Perhaps it wasn't finished but I wish it would let you know when it was.

Regarding Windows Explorer, I remember seeing that recently on another board where someone mentioned that it wasn't the same as Internet Explorer. However, after doing a bit of searching for it with my limited knowledge, I'm afraid I just don't feel comfortable getting in over my head at this point. I'm concerned about already having made some wrong moves due to lack of understanding.

I've looked through the link again that Zenobia posted and feel certain when I installed the new version of Spybot I didn't fill it out properly. Would it be better if I could uninstall Spybot and reinstall again since now I've got a tutorial to follow? Here is what is in my Startup menu under Accessories:

Spybot - Search & Destroy
Spybot-S&D (advanced mode)
Spybot-S&D (easy mode)
Uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy
Uninstall Spybot-S&D

Thank you again - I appreciate your time.

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-26, 15:13
drafm:

Yesterday I did run Spybot again and clicked on Immunize. When the box came up I typed an A (for allow) and then remember me. It seemed to work but took forever to scan. I waited and waited but kept seeing the green check mark at bottom and figured it must be finished, although the green bars were still sitting there.
From your description I don’t understand what is happening. When you immunize you should not normally receive a pop-up dialog from TeaTimer indicating that there has been a registry change.

After clicking the Immunize button (shield symbol) in the left pane Spybot's Immunize screen appears. There are two (2) distinct functions on Spybot's Immunize screen:
Permanent Internet Explorer immunity
Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer
Permanent Internet Explorer immunity
When you first go into the Immunize screen the registry is scanned to determine if Spybot's immunization entries are present. During this short scan the green status bar in the "Permanent Internet Explorer immunity" section progresses from left to right. When the scan is finished you should receive one of two (2) messages indicating the status of Spybot's immunization:
Information
All known bad products are already blocked.
OK
Warning
xxxx bad products already blocked, xx additional protections possible. Please immunize.
OK
The immunization is controlled by the three (3) buttons at the top of the left pane ("Immunize", "Check again" and "Undo").

Immunizing, checking and undoing immunization do not normally stimulate a pop-up dialog from TeaTimer.
Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer
This section is for activating or inactivating Spybot's IE Resident Browser Helper Object (BHO) which blocks tracking cookies in Internet Explorer.

Checking or un-checking "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" in this section would stimulate a pop-up dialog from TeaTimer.

drafm
2006-06-27, 02:58
Success!!! :)

I brought up Spybot, clicked the Immunize button - Warning box appeared with 10950 bad products already blocked, 5 additional protections possible. Please immunize. I clicked OK.

This time I enlarged the window a little more giving me a better perspective. I hadn't realized earlier I should click on the Immunize (again) at top which then gave me a green check mark below. My own stupidity for thinking by clicking Immunize at left was all I needed to do.

Anyway, I guess I'm on the right track now.

Thank you SO much for your time. I was volunteering on another site helping people (no, nothing to do with compters - LOL) so I understand the time invested and appreciate your effort.

anzacman
2006-07-01, 03:39
fixed the problem great stuff and a great help saving time searching

poppylove
2006-07-13, 00:29

I used this tool and it worked just great, I had to disable Teatimer first cause if you don't then the programme is refused access.

Many thanks again.

poppylove
2006-07-13, 22:57
Why have Spybot not issued a proper fix for this thru their updates? and if they do will it cause problems if the auto tool has already been used.

Also will there be an option to NOT accept to download it, that is if you do not need it due to the fact it has already been fixed.

I know that it has been passed to Spybot, although I don't know how long ago.

md usa spybot fan
2006-07-13, 23:29
Also will there be an option to NOT accept to download it, that is if you do not need it due to the fact it has already been fixed.
There is always an option not to accept downloads when using the integrated update facility within Spybot. Just don't check the item before clicking on the "Download Updates" button.

Also if you no longer what an item to appear when you do a "Search for Updates", you can right click on that item and select "Add to exclude list" and the item will not be presented when you "Search for Updates" during future updates.

Aravind
2006-07-16, 17:19
:bigthumb: Your idea is great. It works just fine...

mimage
2006-07-22, 05:15
thnx! :bigthumb:

duvallite
2006-07-30, 00:36
I had recently installed 1.4 on my sister's two Windows 98SE machines, and immediately ran into the teatimer problem. I thought it probably had something to do with her older OS, so I just left teatimer disabled. Glad I found this forum and thread. I used syreneD's patch and it worked as promised. Very easy to do. Also, I was using 1.3 on my own machine, and found out thru this forum that I was missing out by not running the 1.4 version. A quick download of the program, install syreneD's patch, and I'm good to go. Thanks everyone. :bigthumb:

andyt
2006-08-04, 00:46
Wow.. I just made the screenshot to show you the problem.. :D: but I found that and it's working. Thanks!

Jercro
2006-08-04, 17:42
Why don't they just fix the code in the program. Seems to be easy enough. I first reported this when 1.4 first came out. Would think by now they could repair the code.

SteveRestless
2006-08-05, 21:26
What I've been doing, rather than messing around with patching, is using the TeaTimer.exe that came with Spybot 1.4 Release Candidate 2, which does not have the same bug, and has worked fine on all of the systems I have used it on.

I could post a download link to it, if there is interest.

mbient
2006-08-09, 23:46
That worked great, THANKS!!

But I find it strange that in two communications with the Kollera folks over the last several years, all I got the first time was the normal tech's response, 'It's a known problem and our best people are working on it', and the second time, I was advised to keep playing Blind Man's Bluff. Never pointed me to this Forum or this solution. Maybe someone needs to tell them there is an easy solution. How hard would it be to put that in one of those Updates? Maybe they need to get some MrSoftie consultants to come in and show them how to do online Updates.

Grey Ghost
2006-08-12, 06:59
Thank you SO much for this. This has always made me a bit nuts. Nice to see a way to fix it.

rlarsen
2006-08-22, 23:25
This darling little patch popped up as "Gate from Hell" pest by pestpatrol. WTF are you doing jerk????

macworm
2006-08-27, 16:07
Thanks - fixed my problems :D:

- but to fix the ones I had accidentaly blacklisted when trying to bypass the bug I had to edit the 'RegKeyBlack.sbe' file - normaly found in 'application data' for the user under 'Spybot - Search & Destroy,Excludes' - ;)

Zenobia
2006-08-27, 23:41
There's an easier way to edit the blacklisted things.Just rightclick Teatimer,and select Settings,which brings up the Black & White list.

wiffyman
2006-08-29, 23:55
I wonder why another 1.4 hasn't been release with this fixed in it......

djpailo
2006-08-31, 20:53
Thanks for this fix!

roamer1
2006-09-07, 06:53
thanks...works great! :)

-SC

Lanshire
2006-09-14, 22:32
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! a life saver to say the least!!!

Lan

r00st3r
2006-09-29, 23:48
When's the next release due? It is not financially viable for me and my business to make 100's of FREE housecalls to fix this bug.

PepiMK
2006-09-30, 00:20
Actually, a new TeaTimer release is in internal beta testing. We expect to give it to the forums experts late next week. Among the new features will be a system for automatic white- or blacklisting of registry entries based on the file they point to, better protection of snapshots against changes by malware, more monitored entries and some fixed small memory leaks (well yes and that ugly graphical glitch, for which Borland has kind of apologized by now ;) ).

The reason for delays... well, just take a look at the current news about Symantec. We would have loved to fix so-called incompatibilities and waited for details... and waited...

And of course we worked on updates for the detection engine itself. The next engine update will nearly double the ways we can use to detect malware.

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-30, 00:30
PepiMK:

Thanks for the information on the work in progress. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your effort on our behalf.

Regards,
md usa spybot fan

ElPiedra
2006-09-30, 04:44
They are the really good news and we waited for that new version of TeaTimer :bigthumb:

Thanks PepiMK

Salu2

juckjones
2006-10-01, 11:03
The reason for delays... well, just take a look at the current news about Symantec. We would have loved to fix so-called incompatibilities and waited for details... and waited....

Never mind Symantec. They will not respond to your requests. They know that they have the resources to fend you off. Do what you think is best for your software and I believe that ultimately, it will be the users who will give you a pat in the back for a job well done.:bigthumb:

CharlieO
2006-10-12, 19:32
READ ALL OF THIS!!! Man, the malformed alert box drove me up a wall. I love what TeaTimer is 'supposed' to be doing for me, but it always made me dizzy as I was learning to key the registery. So this fix helped immediately!! Thank you! Well it also proved my girlfriend correct and I thought she was cRAZy.!.! Her puter was acting totally strange since she couldn't afford protection. We put Spybot and CA's EZvirus (free for a year) on her puter. She was skeptical thinking 'Norton' was the well known brand to stick with -- Mcafee sucks now!! So she thinks she is a wiz now that she sees me keying with the registry and services. She starts complaining something is taking over her puter and I am laughing, not saying: its really YOU; MonKEY, shutting down your services and now they wont come back up!!! She keeps freakin' and I am wierded out by what she is saying; how all of her screens are not real, but imitation wrapper screens. Sounds wierd huh? Well, I went to fix her puter to get some ease back in our relationship and brought this fix of Spybot's alert box. I ran a fresh version of Spybot from my CD-R and to my amazement it didnt have the alert box problem, but looked really special in its formatting. And she said "see I told you something is taking over and putting up fake screens!!!" Cmon, you agree she is crAZy right?? I checked Spybot's source using Reshacker and it said 160, I changed it to 190, reran and spybot looked as it had, no alert box problem and supremely formatted. I was thinking maybe she isn't crazy, maybe something has infected her puter and mirroring everything she has. I noticed my CD-R view in Windows Explorer had duplicate folder entries!!! So I used REShacker again on Spybot to change the 'Remember my decision' to read something else. And it was not changed!!!! Holy MOLY, she wasn't Crazy! This weirdness we had been grappling with for a month was not her being crazy, it was really an infection mirroring and putting up 'wrappers' in place of the real applications!. The Spybot 'wrapper' even looked better than the real Spybot --- Thats when I thought I had to flatten it and not let this infection eat into our great sex life anymore.. lol. Mind you, she has been using protection the whole time this infection spread!! Amazing story huh... and heart breaking at times! So this morning, not foolling around, I think I shut down all the bios, and was somehow able to get a recovery console up to format the harddrive and then install XP. But who knows, I didn't think there was a recovery console in Home Edition, so maybe it was a wrapper and this infection is still in/out there! Whew... wish I could tell you more and have some reports, but it had shut us out... Feel free to ask any questions, as I'd love resolve from answers. And a word, if you are listening as you probably are, to you guys looking with super composite lenses from far far away... supreme work!!! -- ehh, jesus called it outerdarkness... ramble on...

SpaceFr0g
2006-10-14, 04:00
Hey I noticed one day that my teatimer was using upwards of 180meg of system memory.. what giveS? I went n closed it.. n restarted teatimer.

But it was a really werid thing happening.

KentSyl
2006-10-14, 07:34
The fix worked fine. Prior to the fix when I right clicked the Tea Timer on the taskbar the pop-up window was white and had nothing in it. After the fix was applied the "Allow" and "Deny" blocks showed up without being cut off, also the menu showed up when the Tea Timer on the taskbar was right clicked. Was this part of the fix, or did something else change? After I rebootted the Tea Timer isn't on the taskbar, but is on and working. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Kent

Death Eternal
2006-10-20, 03:44
Thanks, this is nice to know!
Btw, how can I change my mind about a decision that I made in regards to Tea Timer's interceptions of registry changes?
Can the Black / White Lists entries be modified?
I've looked, and I can't figure it out.
Thanks in advance!

TBear
2006-10-20, 09:11
. . .how can I change my mind about a decision that I made in regards to Tea Timer's interceptions of registry changes?
Can the Black / White Lists entries be modified?

Yes

I've looked, and I can't figure it out.
Thanks in advance!

Right click on the TeaTimer icon in the System Tray.

Click on "Settings".

The four button options should appear on the top:

** Allowed Processes
** Blocked Processes
** Allowed Registry Changes
** Blocked Registry Changes

Click on the appropriate button.

Find the item you want to change.

Right click on it and you should see its current status (a check mark shows its status).

Click on the change you want.

That should do it.

shante
2006-10-20, 18:02
hello!

I want to change the black list of Teatimer, but I can't see it! there's a white page.

what can I do?

Thanx!

laopa
2006-10-24, 03:21
Hi,

I followed the suggested procedure and it certainly fixed the problem of not being able to see the Allow / Deny buttons. However now that they can be seen properly and work properly the check box (remember this decision) does not work on my system.

Am I the only one or did I boob somewhere in following the posted work around instructions?

Help?

laopa

Zenobia
2006-10-24, 10:34
No,the Remember This Decision checkbox always worked properly for me,after fixing Teatimer.
If you used reshacker to fix Teatimer,reshacker should have made a backup of Teatimer in your Spybot - Search & Destroy folder,called TeaTimer_original.exe,in case you made a mistake.
You should find the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder in Program Files,if you installed Spybot to the default location.

Avie
2006-10-29, 04:31
running xp sp2. I have tried the hack for teatimer fix at leat 6 times. What am I doing wrong? I download to desktop and double click to open then what. It is now in Spybot folder as ResHack.exe. TeaTimer already unchecked. Ctrl + f for decision does not do anyhing. Help please

Zenobia
2006-10-29, 05:28
Did you unzip the reshacker.zip folder,after you downloaded it?If you tried to double-click reshacker.exe in the reshacker.zip,it should give you a warning about needing to be unzipped.

No,you don't need to have reshacker.exe in the Spybot folder,you need to open Teatimer with reshacker.You might want to remove reshack.exe from your Spybot S&D folder.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122 :

3.- Used "ResHacker" to open TeaTimer.exe (Should be in C:\Program Files\Spybot
- Search & Destroy).
http://img456.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reshack17yd.png
Once you open teatimer with reshacker,the Ctrl-F should work,so you can follow the rest of the instructions.hth. :)

Also,if fixing Teatimer with reshacker doesn't work out for you,there are also workarounds listed in this post,like clicking A for Allow,etc,etc.:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=39159&postcount=2

Death Eternal
2006-10-30, 12:47
note to md usa spybot fan and to SyreneD and to ALL readers...

AVG Anti-Spyware just identified the patch.zip 1-byte fix purportedly created by SyreneD and heavily touted by md-usa-spybot-fan as containing a hacker's tool... (?) (abeit, a low-priority risk.)

[locn]\teatimer patch.exe -> Not-A-Virus.VirTool.Win32.AvSpoffer.a : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).

[locn]\patch.zip/teatimer patch.exe -> Not-A-Virus.VirTool.Win32.AvSpoffer.a : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).

[locn]\patch\teatimer patch.exe -> Not-A-Virus.VirTool.Win32.AvSpoffer.a : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).

possibly, it has been infected while on my pc, since i originally downloaded it.

just fyi. i've redownloaded it for rescanning purposes. also because apparently the fix didn't stick, although i can't imagine why.

as a reminder to everyone out there trying to use these patches, YOU HAVE TO END THE PROGRAM TEA-TIMER BEFORE TRYING TO RUN THE PATCH FIX.
(then just remember to restart it, afterwards!)

I made this same mistake myself, at least twice. LOL.

Death Eternal
2006-10-30, 13:09
[UPDATE]
All automatic versions of this teatimer patch (all except for ResHacker) are being reported as containing the same hacker's tool, spoofer (mis-spelled "spoffer"??)

I'm not sure whether it's significant, it's probably the program used to do the automatic patching - hacker's tool of choice, no doubt. (Any program that "patches" by "Stuffing" bits could properly be labelled a hacker's tool.)

again, just fyi.

(thanks TBear for your helpful hints to a n00b!)

SnYdersid
2006-11-04, 05:15

=========

Thanks to both "Murdo" and "ElPiedra" for helping fix this. Perfect-o-mundo!

TBear
2006-11-07, 03:17
[UPDATE]
{snip}
(thanks TBear for your helpful hints to a n00b!)

My pleasure, DE. Sorry for the delay in responding.

kd6aaj
2006-11-16, 08:04
I finally decided to search S&D for a solution to the tea timer popup problem.

Thank you very much!

:laugh:

FrankF
2006-11-21, 09:01
Elsewhere in the net (was it in this forum?), spybotsandra wrote (I paraphrase) "I hope our new update will be available soon." This was in November 2005. It is now November 2006. We can be grateful that the developers are being so cautious and painstaking with the new release. (Can't we?)

In this forum there are 200 replies, but nobody mentions that the width of the popup also needs to be increased. I get lots of paths displayed in which I see the directory, but the path is so long it runs off the edge of the tiny window so I can't see the file name.

Maybe the delay in the release of the new version is because the developers are still trying to figure out how to design a resizable pop-up window.

Zenobia
2006-11-21, 10:11
I can pull the window wider,try putting the mouse pointer at the very edge of the window until it turns into an arrow,and then click and drag it.

msharp
2006-11-27, 01:36
thx so much thats wicked awsome it works pefect
defiantly a great solution

PepiMK
2006-12-02, 19:52
Well, new features here, new features there, and of course the change of the development environment, lead to constant retesting somehow ;)

Haven't put this in the news yet, but here (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/sbsdtools15beta.exe) is a beta version of two updated things (and one new, Vista only).

nirvana
2006-12-03, 11:22
Thank`s and for me , after 2 day`s it works

podbay
2006-12-06, 22:13
Murdo: I was getting the same error as others, but found this post and followed your instructions. It worked, so thank you SO MUCH for creating this patch and helping us solve this problem. - Podbay

Considering we don't HAVE to pay for SpyBot (although I recommend people do Donate if they can afford it..), I think the product is pretty awesome. Name one peice of software that the public hasn't contributed to "fixing" in one way or another? :)

STEP BY STEP:

1) Download http://murdo.digitalicedesigns.com/S&D14GUIPatch.zip (I put it on my web server as the forum link doesn't always work

2) Open the Zip File

3) Extract/Copy the contents to your SpyBot S&D folder

4) Close "Spybot-SD Resident" from your systray by:
"RIGHT CLICK" > "Exit Spybot-SD Resident"

5) Execute "S&D14 GUI PATCH.exe" from within your SpyBot folder

Press the "Start" button

You should then see a window:
http://murdo.digitalicedesigns.com/success.jpg

Enjoy

Note: Remember to start "TeaTimer.exe" again!

P.S I just looked at the other patch md mentioned, and it does exactly the same thing except moves the check button down slightly, where as mine moves it down and accross (hence the 5 bytes instead of 1 byte)

Also, don't worry about makeing a backup of "TeaTimer.exe" as the patch is set to do this by default (you will find "TeaTimer.exe.bak" in the program folder)

PepiMK
2006-12-07, 00:46
And don't forget, anyone who doesn't care about the "beta" flag can look here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9474&page=2) :)
(Though I of course appreciate the inofficial workarounds. If it wouldn't have been for the broken Authenticode certificate, I would've advertised it myself probably ;) )

Rachelleme
2006-12-07, 23:45
Hello.

I downloaded the ResHack (with the "open with" option), but I don't have an unzip program, so I couldn't open the file. I can't open it with anything else. zip files for updating Ad Aware go through automatically, so I can't make head nor tails of what to do here.
What's the next step?

Thank-you.

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-08, 00:02
Rachelleme:

What Windows OS are you running?

With Window XP right click on the .zip folder and select "Extract All..." to unzip the folder.

Rachelleme
2006-12-08, 00:49
Hi. Thank-you for helping out. I'm running Windows ME. Using AVG (whose changes are what the SpyBot keeps on veto-ing), Ad Aware, X-Cleaner.
I couldn't open the patch offered by Murdo, either.

Ta.

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-08, 01:33
Rachelleme:

Until someone suggests programs that will allow you to unzip the corrective files with Window ME, the only things that I can suggest are:
Disable TeaTimer as follows:
Uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Or substituting keyboard entries to answer the pop-up dialog.
If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". Note: If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied.

Zenobia
2006-12-08, 02:46
There's 7-zip(I use that myself)
http://www.7-zip.org/
Or,winzip has a free trial:
http://www.winzip.com/

yanipen
2006-12-08, 05:05
It would be nice if Spybot S&D includes a pop-blocker in their tea timer. Like those found on Ad____e's Adw___h.

I am using 1.3 now, presently downloading 1.4. Spybot S&D team, keep up the good work!

sole
2006-12-12, 20:24
Howdy,

Please accept my sincere thanks!

All the best,

Kenneth

rockart
2006-12-18, 15:33
Downloaded your patch to fix popup in spybot ( Tea timer?)
But when I press Start i get
"TeaTimer.exe - file not found or file access error."
I tried putting the file in the same folder as Teatimer.exe, but no go.
I created a folder in Spybot and put it in there, in case it was looking for a folder that was one step down in the file structure. But no go. Can you help?
Many thanks,

Zenobia
2006-12-18, 16:27
Murdo has not been here for a long time,and I feel they may not be back,but here are their original instructions,in case you haven't seen them yet:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=2761&postcount=41
From here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=2770
Or,there is another patch,which is mentioned in this post here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=57864&postcount=2
(That post also shows info about the reshacker fix,tells about some workarounds for Teatimer,and has a link to the new Teatimer beta,if you prefer to try any one of those,instead.)

Hope something in all that helps.I did not use the murdo patch,so I do not know a lot about it. :)

Zenobia
2006-12-18, 16:34
In addition to that,I just saw a post where md usa spybot fan suggests that the
"TeaTimer.exe - file not found or file access error." may have been happening if Teatimer was still running.
Post here:
Part of his post:

* "TeaTlmer.exe - File not found, or File access error!"

* Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon.
* Click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident (TeaTimer should close).

Zachrey
2007-01-14, 07:21
Hi Everyone,

I implemented the recommended changes to the teatimer.exe using ResHacker.

Before I fixed TeaTimer, two programs updated themselves and I couldn't figure out how to accept the changes to the registry.

An ActiveX change and two changes for JavaRE 5.0 (1/13/2007).

How do I get these changes entered into the registry?

The log file does not seem to show all of the information I need to implement the required changes to the registry.

Is there a way I can find out what these changes are? I (sort of) know how to use regedit to backup and change the registry.

Any support is greatly aprreciated!

Thanks!
Zachrey

PS here's the logfile data:

1/13/2007 8:53:33 PM Allowed value "DefaultPassword" (new data: "") deleted in Winlogon!
1/13/2007 9:29:08 PM Denied value "{CAFEEFAC-0015-0000-0010-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") added in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
1/13/2007 9:30:06 PM Denied value "SunJavaUpdateSched" (new data: ""C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"") changed in System Startup global entry!

Paul D
2007-01-16, 22:50
18 months later, this still hasn't been fixed? It happened to me yesterday, and I'm up to date.

Tomos
2007-01-18, 11:51
Hi
this problem only started happening with me lately - I noticed it when I was uninstalling something - what happened then was that the regristry changes were denied by Spybot.
I'm wondering if theres anything I can do to "tidy up" the regristry after Spybot denying changes ?

I just fixed it with the hacker thing - but not sure how to test it - I'll have to find something else to uninstall :)

I'm curious - I think it was actually after an update that it started acting up, but that may have been coincidental.

Also, presume you've seen your good reviews on "Daves Computer tips" Newsletter:
http://www.davescomputertips.com/Newsletters/20070115.php#3

administrator
2007-01-21, 15:57
Great job! :bigthumb:
I did the "S&D14 GUI Patch" that was provided by murdo.
Now the buttons are displayed fine and are working.
:eek: Thank you very much! :eek:

7cures
2007-01-24, 20:01
Whoa....
That was too cool.... Thank you!!!:fear: :angel:
P.S. For anyone who still has problems, the very top of the Accept and Decline still work!!!
I mean, like 1 or 2 millimeters. But they truly do work. I have muddled with these for over a year. And despite the bad cosmetics, they worked fine. Man, Resident Hacker is a cool editor. And extremely friendly. Can I keep it?

gooup
2007-01-25, 21:56
Thanks SO much for this one!

cvincent
2007-01-30, 08:10
Because I don't see too well, I have my screen resolution set to 120DPI instead of the default 96DPI (Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/General)
Therefore, the GDUI patch, while very helpful, was not a perfect solution for me - the 'New Data' line was hidden by the Allow... Deny Change buttons, and the '?' button was hidden by the 'info' button.

Using Reshack, eventually, I did find an ideal solution. Many thanks!:bigthumb: :cool:
And, I guess, I might be able to use it for some similar display problems with other applications and dialogs.
I could detail the changes I made to TeaTimer with ResHacker for anyone else using 120 dpi setting, but that would possibly be a little tedious for genenal consumption.

I'd like to note that I found it worthwhile checking Windows Task Manager to make sure that Tea Timer.exe had shut down - a few times I saw that it was still running, after using 'Exit Spybot S&D Resident', and I used Task Manager to shut it down.

To test the Tea Timer pop-up I used a simple little app called Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin, to turn various startup entries on or off. http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml :D:

My result is attached below. I would be happy to post details of changes for anyone else using 120dpi. I think my email address is available around here, some place - or you can use private messaging.
Colin.

Toreador
2007-02-10, 01:21
Thanks for that i was geting really shytty with that :( but now its fixed :) only problem in spybot :) now gone. also for a update they should change the script. not too much hard work

DjPete1959
2007-02-15, 05:30
1000 thanks Murdo.
Yeeeha!

vee3012
2007-02-20, 03:57
Marvellous! Wonderful! Great! Superb!

TONS of thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are an: :angel:

Vee3012 from Berlin/Germany

metafora9
2007-02-20, 08:14
Gracias, Thank. Just waht i needed. I had a hard time getting to cope with this issue. Thank a lot Piedra.

Spanish:
Gracias, Exactamente lo que necesitaba.:bigthumb:

Betabug
2007-03-20, 10:53
Well, I am finally trying again after a year and a half to install 1.4. This time I found these fixes in the forum. Thanks to you who took the time to share these fixes. I will try them soon. If they do not work, I will be posting again. To those who poo on the critics of this bug: how many man hours have been wasted since June 2005 answering emails about this bug? How many man hours have been wasted searching forums for a fix? How many man hours were wasted finding and sharing those fixes? How many man hours were wasted downloading software that most people ultimately removed because of this bug? How much bandwidth (i.e., money) was wasted on the downloads for the fixes? Both Safer Networking and all of us have wasted time on this "freeware" bug for 21 months. Time is money. ALWAYS. I wasted several hours myself after I first installed this and found only an explanation of why the bug found its way into the release. The "fix" supplied by Safer Networking might have been fine for me, but others that use the two PCs I own would be at a loss. So I stuck with 1.3. Luckily, I still had a copy of the EXE on a disc. I only upgrade now because apparently that is the only way to stop getting false positives in Spybot. Who knows what real positives are not showing because of this? BTW, 21 months is just about the longest run of any "point" release I've heard of, even for freeware. I feel for the developers, but it seems they were using this software when they developed 1.3, so I would think the problem is just as much theirs as it is Delphi's. In their News from June 2005, they write as if to suggest that a new release is soon to follow. It is March 2007. I think this is more about the stubbornness of the developer than anything else. It is a big deal. If all freeware were developed with the same attitude in thinking, none would be worth using. Developers have a responsibility to the end user once making a product available to the public. You won't find it any agreement, but it is there. It is in every update that some poor soul slaves over to fix an issue on 4% of all the PCs that use that software. They do it for free. It's a matter of pride in one's own work. The difference between some and others is that the responsible developer is proud without being stubborn. A responsible developer would have integrated a fix soon after the fixes were posted to the forum. Freeware does not excuse developers from that responsibility to the public (I'm sure tens if not hundreds of millions of people use this software). I now return the soapbox to the corner and to my desk to hopefully resume more productive pursuits (been looking for some HQ Josie Maran pics).:D:

Zenobia
2007-03-20, 11:09
There are fixes posted in this thread,but there's also a beta available now.You can see more about it in this post here(about halfway down):
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=23629&postcount=2

If you're okay with trying a beta,you could have a look.

Lucifer
2007-03-21, 18:31
thx very much for that...
that issue has been buggin the hell outta me for far to long

Betabug
2007-03-22, 09:52
I run 1024x768 resolution (96 DPI) on a 19" CRT. The GUI Patch shows the buttons, but cuts off the bottom. Purely a cosmetic complaint. Probably designed for 1280x1024 res. Didn't try ResHack. Anyway, I checked here again and found Zenobia's response. Good thing I posted. Now I know about the beta for Tea Timer 1.5, which shows the box perfectly, now. Problem finally solved. I had to manually install "teatimer1506-setup.exe" from the Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates folder, though. The auto update failed but didn't report it had failed. Why is this one still in beta? I see no obvious bugs in this one, unlike 1.4, which still has the obvious. Thanks Zenobia. I appreciate the heads up. A lot learned. Best I can tell the beta has been around since December. Maybe if I looked at page 20 or so of this thread, I would have seen something about it.:D: They need to have a beta page (listed in the main menu). Save a lot of time and effort all around.

Zenobia
2007-03-23, 05:25
You're welcome. :)

StealthKitten
2007-03-31, 23:03
Works beautifully thank you!

drafm
2007-04-04, 03:28
I posted here sometime last summer about the problem I was having with Tea Timer or at least not being able to see which box to click on when the option comes up asking if I will accept or deny something. I was unable to correct the problem and due to many other responsibilities, I didn't have time to continue trying.

It's been so long I can't remember now how to navigate the board here to find my earlier posts and in fact, it took awhile to find a box where I could type. I hope this is the correct place since I see a box above with a place for Title. I hope I'm not creating a new thread.

Anyway, recently, I had to make a choice about accepting something and apparently, with my trying to guess, clicked on the Deny box. Since that time it's been impossible for me to do anything with Spybot and I can't even get the updates now because all the little boxes start stacking up on the right side of the screen blocking anything. The only way I could get rid of the boxes was to use Control-Alternate-Delete.

I had tried to quit using the Advanced Mode (since it was more advanced than me) and although I clicked on Default, it goes back to Advanced.

My husband suggested I just get rid of the Spybot version I have been running and upload a fresh one. If I do this should I go to the Control Panel to delete the one I've been running and then just start from scratch? Or should I get a new one first and then delete the old one? And I should probably just stick with the Default Mode or Advanced without Tea Timer since I really am not sure how to work with it.

Thanks for any help.

md usa spybot fan
2007-04-04, 08:29
drafm:

If you just want to stop using TeaTimer without uninstalling, reinstalling, etc.:

Exit TeaTimer:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon (Spybot-SD Resident).
Click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
To keep TeaTimer from restarting the next time you restart your system:
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

drafm
2007-04-04, 19:02
md usa spybot fan, thank you for the prompt reply.

This morning I had a notice that overnight there was a security update with the computer having to be restarted and there was a Spybot icon showing in my bottom tray. I could not get rid of it. (I don't know if the update was Spybot or what.) Right clicking did nothing; it wouldn't come up out of the tray or anything but then finally, after several tries when it did allow me to click Close, a large box came up: [ System settings protector - - You chose to end the non responsive program, System settings protector. The program is not responding. ] It also had a message that I could report the problem to Microsoft. This has happened before and apparently, it must have to do with some setting that isn't correct.

This happened before I got my mail and noticed the reply from md usa spybot fan. There is not now, nor has there been, a spybot icon showing in the tray (except on the incidents as this morning.) By the way, this was at the left side of the tray, not at right where all my other little icons are showing.

I did go to the Start Menu and brought up the list of things to Always Show-Always Hide-Hide when inactive and spybot is listed as Hide when inactive. However, it's down in the bottom list under Past Items and I don't know how to move it up under the Current Items list so I can follow the instructions given.

The one thing that was clicked by mistake was when I had to update Windows Defender a few wks. ago. Because I couldn't remember just where to click on the Spybot check-box, I ended up with having to now manually allow or deny all the mail every time. I can't see any way to change it back as it was before, just silently working in the background, I guess it would be called.

I'm not sure if I've explained all this properly and hope you can understand alright.

Thanks!

md usa spybot fan
2007-04-04, 21:46
drafm:

If you had a button (not an icon) labeled "Spybot – Search & Destroy" to the right of "Start" and to the left of the Notification area of the Taskbar with the TeaTimer symbol on it (a padlock on top of a document) as opposed to the button labeled "Spybot – Search & Destroy" with the SpybotSD.exe symbol on it (a magnifying glass on top of a document) in the Taskbar, it was most likely because there was an outstanding TeaTimer dialog that had to be answered. If you clicked (left) on the button it should have brought up the TeaTimer dialog (actually labeled "Spybot – Search & Destroy") that required answering.

Even if you have and outstanding TeaTimer dialog, it appears that you should be able to right click on Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon (in the Notification area (right) of the Taskbar), Click "Exit ...", etc., etc. so that you can stop using TeaTimer.

drafm
2007-04-07, 04:10
Hello again,

I realize this makes me appear to be totally computer illiterate but I'm really not sure how to answer your post since I honestly don't remember if what I saw was an icon or button and I haven't any idea what was showing (any symbols, etc.) on it since it wouldn't come up at all. Clicking with the left mouse button did nothing and the right one, although it had the option of opening or exit (something like that) did NOT function. In other words, nothing happened and I had no way to do anything with it except try to get rid of it.

Also, there still isn't any icon anywhere in the taskbar. Whenever I run Spybot, I just click on it on my desktop. I'm not sure exactly what you mean about TeaTimer dialog, but I do know that due to not being able to read that box properly, I clicked on the wrong answer for a choice.

I really feel it would probably be easier for me to just start with a fresh version and hopefully, not have the same problem I've had with this one. I feel this has become too complicated for me to try to fix or work around.

What would be the best way to do this? Should I go to the Control Panel and delete it? If so, should I then put spybot.net or spybot.com into the bar at top to download a new one? When I Googled, both are saying they are authentic and I want to be sure I'm on the proper site.

Thank you.....

Zenobia
2007-04-07, 05:39
Hello,md usa spybot fan will be away for a couple days.
In the area down by your clock,in amongst the little icons there,is there an Teatimer icon there?There should be an arrow,to the immediate left of the icons down by your clock,if you click that it will show hidden items,is the Teatimer icon there?Should look like this:
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/3697/teatimerzi4.jpg
If you rightclick that,you should be able to exit Teatimer.
Then,you should be able to do this:

To keep TeaTimer from restarting the next time you restart your system:
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
This page has screenshots,which might help you do the above.A couple things would be different,though,you do not need to uncheck sdhelper,and if you've exited Teatimer you will not get the Allow change prompt at the end:
http://www.russelltexas.com/malware/teatimer.htm

The above should be easier than uninstalling/reinstalling.But,if you prefer to uninstall/reinstall,then you could go to Add/Remove programs to uninstall Spybot.
And if you click the link below,it will take you to the page where you can download a new Spybot:
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

Zenobia
2007-04-07, 08:18
P.S. I forgot.
If you did decide to Uninstall/reinstall Spybot,when you reinstall,to avoid using Teatimer,make sure you leave the box shown in the link below with a red box around it unchecked:
http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/spybot13/installadd.gif

drafm
2007-04-10, 04:14
Hello, Zenobia,

Thank you for the good suggestions with links, which helped. I did decide to try the Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident > to see if that would help. I unchecked the box so we'll see if that helps now.

As I stated in an earlier post, there is no icon in the bottom tray for spybot. However, today, after clicking on your link there was one showing but after I clicked on it, it disappeared again. If I go to Start Menu I can see it under Past Items but cannot manage to get it up to the Current Items. I do have 7 others showing at the right of task bar, such as zone alarm, Picasa, the printer, etc. I don't know why or how spybot decided to hide permanently from the task bar. ;o)

The one question I still have and would like to get fixed is that of the Windows Defender which I posted on 2007-04-04 12:02. When I call up the mail, it still brought up Windows Defender where I had to allow it to succeed. It's become a pain having to do this each time now.

I've tried to find out where or how to make the change which happened when I clicked Deny by accident but I cannot. Please help me if possible.

Thank you again.

Zenobia
2007-04-10, 07:22
Hi. :) You're welcome.

I'm a little shaky on the ins and outs of Windows Defender,but I'll try to help if I can.I'm not real clear on what is happening here:

The one thing that was clicked by mistake was when I had to update Windows Defender a few wks. ago. Because I couldn't remember just where to click on the Spybot check-box, I ended up with having to now manually allow or deny all the mail every time. I can't see any way to change it back as it was before, just silently working in the background, I guess it would be called.

The one question I still have and would like to get fixed is that of the Windows Defender which I posted on 2007-04-04 12:02. When I call up the mail, it still brought up Windows Defender where I had to allow it to succeed. It's become a pain having to do this each time now.

When you check your email,are you being prompted by Windows Defender to Permit or Deny a change?Or are you being prompted by Teatimer to Allow or Deny a change for something,and if so,has this happened since you removed the checkmark beside Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident >Resident "Teatimer"?Any other details you can think of would be helpful,too. :)

drafm
2007-04-10, 17:19
Hello again, Zenobia,

You asked if I was being prompted by Windows Defender or TeaTimer; it's Windows Defender that comes up for me to accept or deny.

When I click on mail, (Eudora) a small Windows Defender box comes up from the tray telling me changes have been made. I then have to click on that (or the icon if the box disappears) to bring up the large box to "Review changes to computer settings." Below the title are headers with the Publisher - Agent - Checkpoint - Date - Action - Status. Under Action is a drop-down with Permit or Deny and at bottom right are the words Apply Actions, which I click to accept and then click the X at upper right to make the page disappear.

I have gone to the main page of Windows Defender but haven't been able to make any changes or correct this problem. I have looked at the options under Tools > Options and then discovered Software Explorer, where I finally found Eudora AFTER realizing to use another drop-down box which was set for Start-Up Programs. After changing it to Currently Running Programs, I can see two Eudora boxes at the bottom.

At the right it reads, Not yet classified. Some of the other things in the above list read Permitted, and I think that's what the Eudora should be ??? I do remember when I first signed up with Windows Defender, (which had originally been another name I can't remember now) there was a similar problem but I can't remember how we got rid of it.

I apologize for the complication of all this but I also really appreciate all the help.

I wanted to mention how nice it is having the link to this board in an email so I can just click on that to bring me here to the right place.

You are a great group of helpful people!

hk995
2007-04-10, 20:42
thank you very much for the easy solution, that bug has been buggin me for a while, but not anymore, thanks to you.

drafm
2007-04-10, 21:00
Whoops, I forgot the rest of your question, below. I'm not sure how you do the Quote post from other people.

""When you check your email,are you being prompted by Windows Defender to Permit or Deny a change?Or are you being prompted by Teatimer to Allow or Deny a change for something,and if so,has this happened since you removed the checkmark beside Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident >Resident "Teatimer"?Any other details you can think of would be helpful,too.""

If I remember correctly, it happened during some kind of upgrade or update and when the teatimer came up with the box for me to accept or deny AND remember, I sat there trying to remember where on the box to click since it was all still illegible. When I clicked what I 'thought' was the right area, I got another message that I would now have to manually allow for the change. < sigh >

I tried and tried to find out where to correct it but I think it was bedtime and by the time I could get back again, much of it had faded from memory. I just know I've been limping along hoping not to see anymore boxes!

Hope this helps a little...

drafm
2007-04-10, 21:11
PS:

Just as I was ready to log out I noticed the Quote button at the bottom (thought I'd seen it somewhere before) and then also saw the Edit button. I clicked on Edit figuring I could just add the note that I'd found the Quote button.

However, it asked me the reason for editing so I put in *addition*, expecting to be able to then add to my post. Well, that word 'addition' was all that happened when I clicked. LOL When I tried editing again I found it's got a very limited allowance. Ah well, just thought I'd explain.

Zenobia
2007-04-11, 02:40
Hi,there. :) I turned on Windows Defender's real-time protection,but I haven't been able to get it to pop-up for me,so I'm still kind of unfamiliar with it.

This is from Windows Vista help(should still apply to Windows Defender with other Operating Systems,though,I think.)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/8b8917f4-88c7-4470-88ae-0a06987c20fd1033.mspx

And since I obviously need a dunce cap when it comes to Windows Defender :D: ,you might want to post for help at the Windows Defender's newsgroups,they'll probably be able to help you out much better than I can.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx

To quote a post,you can highlight the text you would like to quote with your mouse,then copy it to your own post,then click the Quote button,and it should put quote tags around it.There's a little more info here:
http://forums.spybot.info/misc.php?do=bbcode#quote

For editing,you should be able to click edit,make the changes you'd like in the main window,then put in your reason for editing,then click the save button.hth. :) I think there is a fifteen minute timelimit for editing your post.

Zenobia
2007-04-11, 10:59
To quote a post,you can highlight the text you would like to quote with your mouse,then copy it to your own post,then click the Quote button,and it should put quote tags around it.There's a little more info here:
http://forums.spybot.info/misc.php?do=bbcode#quote

Sorry,actually that should be:To quote a post,you can highlight the text you would like to quote with your mouse,then copy it to your own post,highlight it once again with your mouse then click the Quote button,and it should put quote tags around it. :oops:

drafm
2007-04-12, 03:28
Hi again!

First, I want to thank you, Zenobia, and md usa spybot fan, for all your help. You've both been so patient and since I felt like the one who should be wearing a dunce cap, I had to laugh at your statement.
And since I obviously need a dunce cap when it comes to Windows Defender ,you might want to post for help at the Windows Defender's newsgroups,they'll probably be able to help you out much better than I can.

Now that I'm typing in this posting box there is no quote button so I used my own symbols and hope they work. If not I'll try the editing. ;) Thank you for taking time to post all the links. I did study a page similar to the first one and couldn't find anything to help, but perhaps the 2nd one for the newsgroup will be a good one to try.

Kindest Regards -

PS: I wish I had more time to spend here reading and learning. Hopefully, I'll be able to do so in the future.

Edit: Ah, the Quote button shows up AFTER you click Post. At any rate, the quote worked but on this page no Smilies are showing.

Zenobia
2007-04-12, 18:49
You're welcome. :) Sorry I couldn't help you with Windows Defender real-time protection.There's a sign-in option there at the Windows Defender newsgroups,you could sign-in and ask them about it direct,if you can't find an answer to your question.
They also have sign in help and info:
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales/help/help_en-US.htm#WhyDoINeedToSignIn
I don't know my way around there very well,but the General category looks like it might be a good place to post that type of question.

Have a good day. :greeting:

chciago
2007-04-17, 14:02
joder que tío!!! Fantastic!! Muchas gracias.....

Lemming
2007-04-28, 22:03
Thanks for the fix!

I just started using SpyBot after giving up on Ad-Aware and it's many problems with no program update in years.

I used PE Explorer (since I have a license for it) instead of ResHacker and have yet to see the fix in action but based on what every one else says, I'm sure it will work!

Seems a logical fix, you're just moving the check box control down so it doesn''t cover the buttons any more.

:2thumb:

poppylove
2007-05-07, 00:57

Will this be fixed in the 1.5 version?

md usa spybot fan
2007-05-07, 05:43
poppylove:

The TeaTimer button overlay bug is already fixed in the beta TeaTimer 1.5 version. To download the ßTeaTimer 1.5:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
Page down the option tree until you see a section titled "Web update" (just past half way down).
In the "Web update" section check the following option:
Display available beta versions.
Click Spybot-S&D (left pane).
Click Search for Updates (right pane).
When the list of available updates appears, check the following item:
ßTeaTimer 1.5 - !Resident protection update (1 MB) - 2007-02-14
Click Download Updates.

poppylove
2007-05-07, 13:13
Thank you for that, I am waiting till Ad-Aware stops updates for my operating system, then I will download 1.5.

Once someone has downloaded the 1.5 beta and the full version comes in, will we have the option to upgrade to the final version from within beta, or will that be done from scratch by uninstalling the beta and installing the final version when it becomes live?