PDA

View Full Version : Help Please: the scan process freezes and hangs completly

southernwinds
2007-03-28, 01:14
hi, itīs my first time i use spybot search and destroy.

i installed it 6 days ago, and iīve been trying to make it run everyday (the scan process), and it only freezes there, i followed the instructions given in the FAQ about how to solve the problem of "what can i do if spybot S&D freezes when scanning" and followed the instructions, but didnīt work at all.

i followed this instructions and done them correctly

This could be caused by several reasons like an old version of Spybot-S&D, a too large temporary files folder or problems with the system restore point.

In case you are using a dated version of Spybot-S&D, as a first solution, please download the latest version Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4. This should fix the problem. You will find links to several download locations on the .
Please search for new updates after installing Spybot-S&D 1.4.

If this doesn't help please delete the contents of your Windows temp folder and try it again: For that purpose, please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Tools" --> "Secure Shredder" from the navigation bar on the left. There select "Add files from temp folder" from the drop down menu on the top (hit the small arrow next to templates). Then "Chop it away!"

You can also try the following:
- select "Settings" --> "Settings" in the navigation bar on the left and untick the checkbox in front of "display confirmation dialogs before doing critical changes" (under "Main Settings")
- exit Spybot-S&D so the settings are saved
- run Spybot-S&D and "Check for problems" again

Expect it to run slowly, it appears to hang. Please be patient - it should clear with the problems fixed.

If it still doesn't work please select "Settings" --> "Settings" from the toolbar on the left. In the section "Main settings" please untick the checkbox in front of "Create system restore point when fixing spyware/usage tracks".

it still freezes like 10 seconds after the scanning process. i tryied waiting for more than 4 hours to see if it was normal for the program to look as if it hanged up, but seems itīs not.

the spybot S&D iīm using now itīs version 1.4 and i have windows XP

iīd would really appreciate any help and how to solve this problem.

thanks.

BTW. iīve read that itīs better to find a solution for an already installed spybot search and destroy than unistalling it and trying to install it again.

Zenobia
2007-03-28, 02:24
This might not work at all,but you could try doing a scan in safe mode,and see how it goes:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=23629&postcount=2

Run in Safe Mode
Reboot your computer into SafeMode by doing the following:
Restart your computer
After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, begin tapping F8.
Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.
Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

Open Spybot-S&D while still in safe mode.
Close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found in red
Repeat until no more items are found in red
Close Spybot-S&D
Reboot back into Windows

If that doesn't work,please post back,if you don't mind. :)

Since Spybot freezes about 10 seconds into the scan,I guess it always freezes at the same place?Some people get issues with hyperthreading,but as I recall a symptom of that is sometimes that Spybot freezes at different places during the scan,so I thought I would run that by you.

And,also,are you having any malware-type problems?